Why did you decide to buy a windows phone?

murderman

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: So what made you pick a windows phone in the first place?

Got Curios and since i used to use android alot and the battery wasted in like 1 or 2 hours (Just texting - sensation 4g by HTC)i decided on a lumia 521 - at first i thought what was cheap enough to replace a 2 or (i think) 3 month old phone And last 2 whole nights without charge And be stable? ..well lo'and'behold the lumia 521 came to my rescue And because it was new experience to earn and learn as well :smile:

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Me and my daughter both used to have the same HTC one.
Hers got broke, so i gave her mine, i got a second hand Lumia 800 to pass the time till my contract was reniewed, and from the moment i started it up i was sold.
Everything felt familiar, everything worked like a charm and the Phone looked like it was made from one piece of solid rock.
So when it was time to reniew, i got a L920 sold the L800 and was very happy.
So happy that when i got a chance to buy a L1520 for a low price i bought it and man what a machine is that....

I sold my L920 to a guy that had an IPhone 4 that needed to be on the powercord all the time, and he was so fed up with it that he drove 300 km to get my L920.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

My last Android was LG Optimus 4x. At a time I bough it, it was top model and Lumia 710 was new WP. I saw it at my friend and liked it a lot. Then I downloaded WP Launcher on my 4x and felt in love for a WP look. I changed my 4x for HTC 8x. It was strange at first, but after a short adopting period I found WP a perfect platform for me. Altough I liked to root my Android and flash some custom roms on it, WP was what I was looking from phone. Now I have L925 and it's perfect for me! Thinking about getting 930, but we'll see. Maybe I'll just wait a bit longer for a next flagship. 😊

mattdistro

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

I keep trying to go all in with one specific company, so I've tried a lot of different things. Overall I have a very checkered history, having trouble settling on one thing.

My first smartphone was the HTC Mogul, which I thought was great until the iPhone came out. At that point I got the iPhone, and then the iPhone 3G. I also invested in a MacBook and had my little Apple ****** stint. After appalling build quality irked me on the iPhone 3G, I said I can't do this anymore. I started looking at other phones and the Treo Pro interested me, but it was delayed numerous times. I ended up picking up a T-Mobile G1 for a month, only to get tired of only having EDGE and no service at my house (I also barely dropped it and got nicks in the casing of the G1).

The Treo finally dropped and I was back in the Microsoft ecosystem. I'd built a gaming PC and sold the MacBook. Problem was, the Treo fell apart in no time at all and I had constant problems with calls going straight to voicemail. Also, it was never updated to Windows Mobile 6.5 as promised. I eventually complained and Sprint gave me discounted pricing on a new device. This time I tried a BlackBerry Tour 9630, still on a physical keyboard kick. The trackball didn't work on the first one, so I ended up with a replacement. Similar issues with calls going straight to voicemail and horrible build quality. I decided I liked BlackBerry though and bought a Bold 9700. It was better, but still squeaky and had loose feeling panels. At some point during this time period I ordered a Nokia e71x, loved the device, but didn't like Symbian at all. I only kept it for a week.

Shortly thereafter, my fianc? at the time and I decided to do something different. I went to the Palm Pre. Combining this with Linux on the desktop I thought I had it made, until Palm died that is. The device itself was as poorly made as the Treo Pro. After my fianc? broke her Palm Pixi, I picked up two HTC Touch Pro 2s for the hell of it, which she absolutely hated. From there I had a brief affair with Verizon which I quickly realized was a mistake. The Droid X was very solid, but the nickel & diming tendencies of Verizon were not. I even had to fight through two different mistakes they made when they processed my return. Next I ended up with an HTC Evo 4G, which I kept until we parted ways.

Alone again, I restarted my phone switching spree, going through the HTC One S, Evo 4G LTE, Xperia TL, Galaxy Note II. All this time I was hell bent on running Linux based operating systems, but I was constantly struggling, cause nothing really worked together. One day on a whim, after eyeing the Xperia ZL, I said to hell with it, walked into the AT&T store and bought a Lumia 920. I loved the OS, switched back to Windows full time on my PCs, and kept the device longer than anything else I've owned.

That being said, during this past Christmas, I felt myself wondering about the Google side of things, so I traded in my 920 and got 2 Nexus devices and a Chromebook (Acer C720P). I liked having the pure Google experience, but quickly found it difficult once again to find anything that would work together. I ran a Linux desktop that did all the heavy lifting, yet Chrome Remote Desktop didn't support Linux until more recently, and even now it's still kind of broken. After getting tired of that I turned back to Windows, originally wanting a 5" and 8" tablet, I changed my mind. Having had the Nexus 5 and 7, I hardly used the 7, so that decided I only need one device. I ordered a 1520.3 in May, was using it on T-Mobile until this month. Ended up switching to Straight Talk, since I need unlimited talk time and LTE in rural areas currently.

I'm glad with my decision and the 920 was a key turning point in my strategy. When I picked up that 920, I sat there wondering why I hadn't stuck with Windows all along. I know it hasn't always been the best choice, but it's what works for me and I look forward to the "one OS to rule them all" strategy, since that's what I've wanted all along.

Last edited:

Wiikinki

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

I think my the biggest reason was brand loyalty/trust. My phones from oldest to newest are: Nokia 3220 --> Nokia n79 --> Nokia Lumia 800 ---> Nokia Lumia 925. The 3220 and n79 both served me incredibly well thus creating solid foundation on where to buy my next phone. I did some comparison, mainly with some older nokia phones and a few android if I remember correctly, but somehow Lumia 800 interested me the most.

I have to say that I truly fell in love the 800. Not only because it was my first touch screened smartphone, but at the same time it was so smooth and so good looking. I didn't care about the apps too much so I found it hard to come up with cons from the phone. After year and half of using lumia 800 I preordered Lumia 925 as I was interested in new features in WP8. A great phone but it didn't wow me as much as my old lumia 800. Now I have been using 925 as my primary phone for almost an year and starting to feel a bit numb. My next phone won't be windows phone. Not because I don't like the platform but because I need something different for a change. I have actually been drooling for HTC one for several months, but have desided to use up my 925 before I buy a new phone. I truly hope that microsoft comes up with something that will change my mind.

I have to give credit to Windows Phone Central for keeping my interest up for windows phone. It is my everyday regime to check for news from here.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

Keep them stories coming guys. Loving it....so far we had phones bought out of curiosity, dedication, trust.....so much. Really interesting to see how much we all have in common

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

For me, it was basically Zune+Windows.

I hated HATED iTunes, especially on Windows. When I was in the market for a flash music player my options were basically 1st gen iPod Touch or a second gen Nano, since I was looking for a device to run with the Touch was out, and the Zune 8. I thought the Zune 8 was miles better in design and build over the Nano and the Zune software was a dream compared to iTunes. Even though the Zune software had fewer features, it was sexy, it was simple, it played nice with Windows and had the kick-*** wireless syncing feature which I used the hell out of. So, the Zune software and hardware hooked me in.

Then I upgraded to the ill-fated but truly wonderful Zune HD. The device never really developed a app catalog, but to this day it is the best music experience I've ever seen...it's not close. Shortly after that WP7 was announced and I knew I was in. Ultimately having the Zune experience on my phone and having a really nice wireless syncing experience with my PC was the perfect scenario. I was really happy with that. The apps never really caught up and the Windows-to-WP7 synergy never really expanded past the Zune/podcast/music syncing which was a disappointment, but I had high hopes.

Once WP8 was announced, and after a very short stint with a Nokia 900, I upgraded to a 920 in hopes that this synergy would continue as the NT kernel was adopted. Sadly, if anything it's gone in the opposite direction. My WP8.1 device plays really poorly with my Windows 8.1 laptop and desktop and ultimately is why I never bought a Surface.

So, it's Zune that sucked me in and it's Xbox Music and the shabby WP Sync app that's pushing me away. Sad really.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

It's a combination of things.

I remember trying out WP7 on an HTC Titan and thinking the OS was interesting, especially the Live Tiles, very smooth and responsive to gestures. But the hardware was crap. Then the Lumia 800 came out, and that was a lovely piece of hardware, but by the time it had come down in price, it was apparent WP7 was a dead end.

The WP8 launch hardware was either too big, too low specced, or too flimsy/poorly made.

Then the really low priced, good value models came out, and I almost bought a Lumia 620. But in the end I got a 630. It's got WP8.1 which seems to have worked out all the small niggles, it's the perfect size, and better battery life than the 620.

I'd only ever consider a smartphone platform that has a curated app store, and on top of that I don't have an account with the biggest spies on the Internet (no, not the NSA, Google!). So no Android for me. And I'm a bit sick of paying the premium Apple charges for the iPhone. I'll see what Lumias are around when my iPhone 5 gets too slow to run the latest version of iOS.

Last edited:

Germy910

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Bought a WP because of nokia (Lumia 800), then 920 and now 1520. Im guessing im going over to Jolla phones and sailfish when my 1520 dies. So i really hope Jolla lives on since Thats basically Nokia, but sadly without all the patents and software Resources Nokia had. Im so frustrated that Nokia mixRadio will, and that all the awsome Nokia apps will soon die off. I just know MS will screw up the HW division they just bought, and that Nokia SW division will start to focus more on IOS, Android platforms(Cus money). Nokia focusing only on nokia devices and nokia HW was great. Hope to see Jolla reach the old glory days of Finnish mobile inovation with Scandinavian design and usefulness. Already love the design of jolla, and do really want to try out sailfish OS. But will enjoy my Nokia 1520 as long as i can. What a beautiful device!

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I used a Nokia 6010 for 7 years. It was my first cell phone, so if it worked that good why not get a Nokia for my first smartphone. Got a 820. Great phone. Yesterday I found my old 6010 and its charger. Guest what, I charged it up and it still works fine, battery will only work for a couple of hours but the phone works like the day I bought it. Why would ny first smartphone not be another Nokia ???????

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
To many pages to follow the thread but skimming through the pages I must admit this is an excellent thread going on OP. Thanks

I would have to say I choose WP because of the lock screen. Bing Weather is excellent on my lock screen. My phone lock screen resembles the environment that surrounds me. Just me 😊 but to me that is remarkable. I love the feel of the Earth's emotions capture on my phone.

Another reason why I choose Windows Phone is because WP is unique. But not in a sense that is much different from other platforms. But because not to many people have them. WP gives me the feeling of possessing an exclusive device.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
1. I really like Nokia (no ones works like Nokia to do unique apps)
2. The WP interface with modern design and live tiles are awesome and really useful
3. I always hated the Android trash look and the interface lag (which almost don't exist anymore)
4. Iphone it's too expensive and Apple ecosystem is really bad for me
5. And, of course, the camera experience is far better than others with Nokia Camera and Pureview

GustavoFreire1

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

I am a java programer and was thinking about buying an android as first smatphone(for obvious reasons), but then a friend of mine show me his Lumia 720, and I see how beaultiful, fast and well done was the samatphone and the OS, so I Think: meh I'll just have a cheap android for doing tests and will buy this guy for personal use insted... best decision ever... now everyone in my house has a lumia (my father 720, mother: 520 and me now a 1520)

danial32

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

Its really terrible to answer for this question. As a mobile app developer i would prefer android phones due to simple as well as the opensource platform can be customize for our need. Today's android phones are coming with os update option which makes users find more unique features. However android phone has a huge drawback of crashing apps. But this problem doest not in Latest Wp. Now Nokia users are even more pulled towards windows phone.

Allicit

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

I chose a windows phone based it's design aesthetic and strong graphical typographical UI. The second reason was its innovative paradigm of a can do personally centric phone experience where the user becomes central to the experience through integration of certain features within the UI as opposed to the traditional App centric focus of Android, Windows Mobile and IOS.

Unfortunately the design aesthetic has been continuously watered down to appease the basic common denominator. After updating to 8.1 I am now shocked to also find my second reason for selecting and sticking with WP since 7, that the Hub idea has been disbanded and destroyed.

I want innovation and difference over the sameness offered in Android and IOS and now the core elements that set WP apart have been eroded and supplanted with less functional and more traditional aspects from these competitors. Why can't they leave well enough alone and continue the great work that had been done to this date?

Bogdan Gheorghe

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

Well, my first smartphone was a HTC Diamond Touch with Windows Mobile 6 Pro on it. I loved it back then, with all it's issues and lag (in time the phone got laggy). So I start coding for WM (well, I start learning is more accurate to be honest) when I foun out it was a dead end since WP7 was on it's way.

Meanwhile I switch to Android since my old phone's display died and I had problems finding new one, and to be honest I didn't like it.
It was an low end device that got laggy every few hours, apps crashed (mail apps where the worst, including the default GMail app - triple sync, thousands of duplicate etc.). I thought this was all happening because of my low end device so I decided to give it another try in the future, after I try something different.

So I switched to iPhone (sort of). Since I have a neighbor working at an Apple dealer I asked him to help me out a bit, since I wasn't going to pay for an iPhone before making sure it's what I need. He gave me a brand new iPhone 3S for a test drive (almost 6 months test drive, that is).
I really loved it and hate it in the same time. The OS was well optimized and fast, especially since my last phone was a low end Android device, and the apps worked fast and were stable, as they should. The truth is I never experienced any crash or any other issue with that phone. But I got bored of it and decided to give Android another chance.

So I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy S when it got out. Cool phone, I was happy with it for a little while until I start having problems. Lag, crappy apps etc. Better then the last Android but it was something I didn't expect from a high end device. I used it quite some time and, despite it's issues, somehow I was OK with it. Meanwhile I got interested in WP7 so I decided to (re)start from where I left it with WM. Same with Android since it already took of fast. But since I didn't see much future in MS's Silverlight (although I liked it) I decided to get yet another Android (Galaxy S3).

I guess this was the point when I decided Android phones don't deserve my money. First time the phone came with a half pink and sort of peeled off display. I sent it back and after a almost a month I got a new one with a broken display (as if someone hit it with a hemmer right in the middle). Of course, I sen't it back and after another month I got another one with a T-Mobile splash screen in German (we didn't even have T-Mobile here back then). Sent this one back, AGAIN and after 2 weeks I got it back (same phone) because the phone was fine and not region locked. The T-Mobile bloatware didn't matter it seams. Samsung support didn't help at all (It seams they bring phones from countries where there are more then they can sell to countries where the stock is going low, after they make sure the phones aren't region locked. That's the answered I got from them.).

So shortly after I got my Lumia 520 (this time I wasn't going to risk my money, after what happens). To my surprise, a $100 phone is faster then a high end Android phone. No crashes, no lag, nothing. Cool and fresh UI (for me at east) and the concept of hub that's quite interesting and makes things easier. Only problems with WP I had were the stuck tiles (happens every now and then) and the lack of a few apps I need. I still use the S3 for testing my apps, when it's not lagging from all those 20+ Germany specific T-Mobile bloatware crap that I cannot disable, delete or even use, but that was the end of my Android user life. I'll probably keep buying Android phones every now and then, when I won't be able to upgrade anymore but that's it.

What's really sad for me is that where I work everybody uses iPhone and Android phones (somehow it makes sense since we don't make WP apps) and they keep on making fun of me even though their phones are laggy as hell (it was the first time when I saw (and it's not a singular case) a Mac freezing - some crappy Android app froze while the phone was connected - I wasn't doing anything on it at the moment - and dragged down the entire dev platform, forcing me to shut down the computer).

Last edited:

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

Had iPhones and androids but I always come back to windows phone. So much easier to use and I never get bored with it as I do on the other platforms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro