02-13-2015 08:32 AM
417 ... 56789 ...
    Most phones today can handle being beaten by a hammer or being scratched by a knife(atleast the screen can).

But that is in no way a representation of how the phone would fare if it falls on concrete, which is a more realistic situation.

You should watch Marques Brownlee's iPhone 6: Sapphire Glass Explained(title is something like that) he explains how durable Gorilla Glass is and how knives don't damage most screens, etc etc.
    The problem with saphire is it is brittle. Very scratch resistent but brittle. My 920 has been dropped more than either focus with no breaks. And even though I said the review made me decide to get it, in reality it just helped me rationalize the decision as the phone always appealed more to me.
    07-20-2014 07:37 PM
    Bad luck with androids and always loved nokias from back in my metro pcs days when i was an authorized dealer and was very intrigued by WP and heard that WP will have the best cameras. Loved windows and owned an Xbox ....only made sense and to honest aside of not having the apps I feel both my 920 and 1520 have been awesome! I just complain because....ios and android customer in regards to app count or os features don't have a complain in the world.... They have it all now if the OS is boring or buggy is another story but there os is closer to 100% than ours! Ms has been in the mobile sector for a long time sorry they didn't think is was going to take off ....apple did!
    07-20-2014 07:38 PM
    i too had a zuneHD and it died after a couple of years.

i had a feature phone, and it died out after 4 years.

so, i looked at windows 7 phone, and i wanted a hardware keyboard.
    there were about 5 choices to replace both of them them at once.

ended up with the LG optimus, and windows 7.5 about a year ago.
    to this day, it's not as good as the zune, but it is way better than any windows 8
    phone when it comes to music playback, and syncing.

i will stick with it until it dies, which could be a few more years, or if a miracle
    happens, and they make a new windows 8 one with a hardware keyboard.

i don't care about apps, games, or cameras, so updates on those don't matter at all to me.

i also don't care about RAM, the number of processors or screen resolution, all of those
    make no difference to me.

as long as this phone works, i will keep it, and if there's no replacement when it dies,
    i will get another used windows 7.5/7.8 phone again. since there are plenty on amazon and ebay.

there is no point in switching to android or ios, because all my applications, and software are
    from microsoft, and run in windows.

07-20-2014 07:40 PM
    I was a Windows Mobile user during the time that iPhones and Androids came out and never saw a reason to switch. I've always used Microsoft products and services so I figured I'd rather try WP. I'll admit that the original WP 7 was a bit frustrating because it was so limited in functionality but I've been fine with WP since 7.5 (Mango).
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    07-20-2014 07:41 PM
    Well, lets see.. I've always been a fan of Nokia's candy bar phones since 2001. Their durability and EXCELLENT antennas (NO ONE has better antenna engineers than Nokia!!) won me over. So I was already primed.

My first smartphone (for my business) was a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G. I did look at many Windows Phones, but just didn't know what to do. I did buy a Zune HD and loved the Metro interface. Primed again. I found out that no Android phone should have a single core processor. They require at least a dual-core at 1.5 GHz to run satisfactorily, and this phone had Gingerbread on it. Too many system (non-removable) apps: three email apps, two GPS apps, three music apps all running at the same time. Couldn't choose one and turn the others off. Very slow. Tried to root the phone and couldn't. Had to install a custom ROM to get it to run fast enough to use. GPS wouldn't lock for about four minutes when started. Bad experience. Then the custom ROM started to die and wouldn't come to life again, no matter how many times I reinstalled it.

iPhones: high DPI makes the type small, not the size of the screen itself; I like smaller phones. Can be jailbroken.

I had had enough. I needed a phone for my business that I couldn't root or jailbreak. I'm a tweaker, and that's how I learn. That's what I said to the T-Mobile folks, and they pointed me to Windows Phone. I bought a Lumia 810 and used it for about a year. Instant GPS lock and free offline maps for life. I was sold on Windows Phone. If T-Mobile had let the Black firmware get on the 810, I MIGHT have stayed. But they didn't, so I'm on Verizon with a better 928.
    07-20-2014 08:00 PM
    Was on android. Messy interface, slow and cheap feeling. Horrible fonts. Had an iPod touch 4 but found it to simple with the static icons. Tried a wp7 theme on the android. Liked the ui. Decided to go with the real thing with a Huawei Ascend w1. Very good price and features compared to the other cheap androids. This phone feels, looks and performs like a higher end phone but is one of the lowest end wp's. Am not going anywhere and looking forward to a Lumia in the future.

Sent from my HUAWEI H883G using Tapatalk
    07-20-2014 08:16 PM
    What made me pick up windows phone was the ability to work on the go with office, sure it has annoying quirks like you can only attach documents from the office hub. But this is now moot with WP 8.1 and the third party file managers, however when I was working I got around this issue using one drive, I predominately used word and onenote (the cloud sync made my life sooo much easier).
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    07-20-2014 08:28 PM
    I was on Blackberry forever before this. I didn't wanna an iPhone at all, and I really-really didn't want an Android. And so I got an HTC Radar with Windows 7.5. That's honestly still my primary phone now, and I'm looking forward to any high-end Windows Phone 8.1 Nokia puts out this year. McLaren (minus) 3D Touch sounds great to me, 3GB of RAM and 5.2 inch screen on T-Mobile and all. :)
    07-20-2014 08:52 PM
    When I was first looking at smartphones (about 2009 I think) I was looking at the then new iPhone 3G as I was already accustomed to my iPod Touch. Then my friend showed me HTC, and I fell in love with the HD2, which was Windows Mobile. I loved the then massive screen on it! When I learned of Windows Phone 7 I absolutely loved it! And I haven't had anything else!
    07-20-2014 09:37 PM
    Live tiles and message hub

Too bad MS decided to remove the integration of FB to Messages.

Still, I've been a loyal fan of Nokia and would not be breaking streak. Been out on them for like 3 years and when I came back with the 920, it's still the same solid Nokia I loved.
    07-20-2014 11:58 PM
    The fast you can get things done on Windows phone.
    * keyboard
    * user interface
    * live tile
    * the performance
    * the experience
    07-21-2014 12:05 AM
    The 1520 :)
    6' screen
    Sunlight viewing
    First windows phablet
    07-21-2014 12:22 AM
    Honestly, I had several lagdroids, and I hated them. I've never heard about windows phone, until I did research for some budget phone, and I like what I saw with the 521. I love this OS, and will never go to Android again :P. Hopefully soon I'll be able to upgrade to a 925 or a 1520
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    07-21-2014 12:29 AM
    My android razar HD screen blacks out, I had no insurance through Verizon... bought a nokia 822 at a second had store. Faith would had decided it all this I suppose, but if I did not go after the cheapest phone I would have maybe passed WP right up!?!?! So after almost a year of use with the 8-2-2 I drop the phone and shatter screen. My phone still worked fourntane enough! Still after maybe 4 months of constant, wide eyed,, addicted use.... I decided to cash in on the Lavish, Sleek devil NOKIA 928; which I am currently and have been on since Febuary 2014. This device has changed my life!! Im sure there are others out there just like me.
    Bottom line I chose windows phone simply to go a cheaper route..

Question: I am very interested in developing and creating Apps. Also I would be very apprectaive for any advice or tips relating to windows phone, and Windows 8/8.1 os devices. Obssesed? I am. Confused? yes Would I love to become a developer troubleshoot tech? Absolutly!

I wish NOKIA had a user program. I currently own 4 Windows 8/8.1 devices.

NOKIA 822 ((Status?? With battery mounted to phone, I have powered with USB to PC
    NOKIA 928 ((((CURRENT: This device totally rocks! Camera is out of this world, would love to create apps with all the designs I have created through windows apps
    NOKIA 1020((((((( Doesn't get any better does it?? Well I am a Verizon Customer, bought from website, Unlocked, I think.. what I have trited, it will not activate under Verizon? ANy advice would be awesome!!!
    07-21-2014 04:38 AM
    my iPhone 4 broke a few years ago was on search for a new phone trusted the Nokia and saw the Lumia 900 online, ordered it, never gone back. Rocking a 930 now!
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    07-21-2014 04:43 AM
    The name Nokia made me.
    YeankahP likes this.
    07-21-2014 04:49 AM
    Being a hard-core Microsoft fan I didn't even paid for an Android handset. I used java then I switched directly to WP. Iam quite happy about not trying a android. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    07-21-2014 05:01 AM
    Live tiles my WPC brethren.
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    07-21-2014 05:17 AM
    I just want to try a Windows Phone because of its uniqueness. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 via Tapatalk.
    princeegli likes this.
    07-21-2014 05:30 AM
    The name Nokia made me.
    07-21-2014 05:41 AM
    I picked Windows Phone for three reasons. One is that I was using a Nokia the time, a N8 and was generally happy with Nokia quality even though the plastic body thing was not overly appealing to me. I have been using Microsoft products for a majority of my life and thought it would be a good fit for me and third is that I was racing the Lumia 920 with that Google Nexus 4 at the time and the Lumia 920 came out first so I got it.

To disappoint your run of good stories. I've not had the best experience with WP and with the current climate with WP, the L920 might be last WP for a couple of years. Nothing has come out so far in the way of hardware that makes me want to get a new WP. Not only that but the OS is still too immature and lacks some of the things I want. This doesn't mean I won't return to WP in the future but currently I'm a little bored and tired of the whole thing. I've had enough with the waiting personally. I'm willing to give it to the end of the year as I don't plan to get anything until January but currently I have no desire to stick around.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 07-21-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    07-21-2014 06:18 AM
    My story starts with the Nokia E71, started reading the forums, get smartphone on the cheap - AT&T did NOT recognize the unlocked E71 as a smartphone, thus $10 unlimited data. After that the Nokia N8 for about 2 years (once again w $10 unlimited data). AT&T started detecting unlocked smartphones & switching to more expensive data plans, thus what next ?

Because i'd owned (& luv'd) Nokia's, I looked @ the then new Nokia Lumia 900, but didn't pull the trigger. Soon found out, unsupported (WinPhone 8) going forward, so I stuck with my trusty N8. BUT, I wanted (needed) more screen real estate. Almost pulled the trigger on a Dell Venue Pro (with the slide down keyboard & the large (@ the time) 4" display. Beautiful phone, but software issues killed that. Decision was NOT an iPhone, because of cost & locked down OS. Android scared me, it's open source & rate of adoption lent itself to exploits - knowing it would happen (not IF it would happen). Plus, Android degraded over time, the OS was a pig w resources.

Picked up a Lumia 920, day after release & luv'd that phone. Had it replaced by service after a digitizer repair (cracked screen) caused other issues. My wife coveted it, thought about another for her ... but the Lumia 1520 was beckoning. Ordered that (online - 3rd party) on Super Bowl Sunday(halftime), handed my Lumia 920 down to my wife - & that's where it stands. My wife is NOT a techie, but she LUVs that phone (falls asleep with it next to her) & I similarly luv my Lumia 1520.

Hope MS can right the ship & continue with Win Phone.
    Last edited by MDK22; 07-21-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    07-21-2014 06:45 AM
    Short version...liked the music player, the hubs idea, and the phonebook was first rate. Sadly, only the phonebook is still good of those three these days...OS still looks good though...
    07-21-2014 07:02 AM
    The presentation of the start screen for WP7 is what got me. I used an Andriod Evo, but it just seemed too convoluted. There was no sense of organization, you had icons everywhere, had to swipe through like nine screens to get all your information. The WP start screen was simply beautiful, and had all your important information right there. I had an HTC Trophy on Verizon. With WP8 AT&T seemed to really be onboard with WP, so I ditched Verizon so I could get the 920. Not only did I love the WP interface, but I loved what Nokia brought to the table. Now I have a 1520 and across the board I think it's one of the best phones out there. Yes, some things have changed, but with the exception of showing the music on the tile while it's playing and having playback features, Xbox music isn't that bad. MSFT has been making good on their promise to update accordingly. I do like the radio feature. I love what 8.1 provides from the action center to Cortana, to the transparent tiles. WP8.1 did change the landscape a little but not to the extent that you forgot you're holding a WP. It's still the smoothest, most visual stimulating OS out there, and the app gap (games) is really the only issue, though I love the games that I have on WP.
    07-21-2014 08:16 AM
    You know I'm not a huge app person. I mostly use my live tiles for news, stocks, and youtube. Yea I have Twitter and Instagram, but I don't live by them, so having an app for them is just meh. So for me the only true app gap is ComiXology. If they would just come back to WP I've be 100% fine.
    I hadn't heard of comixology. After reading your post I had to Bing it. Now I want that app that doesn't exist. I'll sign the petition.
    07-21-2014 08:24 AM
417 ... 56789 ...