Why did you decide to buy a windows phone?

VS729

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: So what made you pick a windows phone in the first place?

My love for nokia...my first phone was a nokia xpress music...my father's first phone was a nokia si was my mother's...and almost everyone in the family....and at that time wen nokia decided to go all wp...and the world was doubting that decision (they still do) i felt ever more supportive and attached to Nokia and it's struggles as a whole....for my buying a windows phone was my way to show my support and belief in Nokia(and now MS) ...and that's how i decided to buy a Windows phone (happy with Nokia Lumia 920)... :)

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Every comment I read made me smile and was impressed.... In fact so impressed that not one person said a bad word about the app store. Yet again that's something that keeps being said over and over by android and apple fans. I can't help but laugh at yet they put the phones down by slating it off... And yet.... IPhone and Samsung has been in the news for exploding phones over heating and the windows phone...been in the papers for saving a life by stopping a bullet. *smiles*

You know I'm not a huge app person. I mostly use my live tiles for news, stocks, and youtube. Yea I have Twitter and Instagram, but I don't live by them, so having an app for them is just meh. So for me the only true app gap is ComiXology. If they would just come back to WP I'd be 100% fine.

Last edited:

tungah

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
This is my first post!
Well, I had a Moto Razr i for 18 months. Then, all of a sudden, it simply died on me.

When I bought it, it was actually very fast, but as time went on, it got very sluggish and crashed all the time. It was driving me crazy. So I was kinda happy when it died.

Then I wanted no businesses with android anymore and decided to give wp a try. So I bought a Lumia 925 5 days ago, and I gotta say, I couldn't be happier. This system is amazing, even though it didn't update to 8.1 yet, I'm loving every bit of this phone. Unbelievable camera for a phone. Great design. No complaints.
I think Microsoft has to screw up BIG time for me to go back to android now. :)
Patiently waiting for the update. Come on Microsoft!

Scouseman

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

I like the design of windows.I think the iPhones are a bit overrated and overpriced. I've been through a few Samsung devices and wasn't impressed. I wanted to try something different. I needed a new phone and I decided to go with the Lumia 925, which I quite like. The live tiles was definitely a big reason for me personally, and it beats looking at static icons on my screen. Coincidentally my first cell phone was a Nokia phone. It wasn't a "smart" phone though. The first "smart" phone I ever used was the Nokia E71. Awesome phone by Nokia.It's built well, nice and sturdy with stainless steel. The OS at the time was Symbian. I actually still have that phone .

javeg85

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

I first started off using flip phones, then prepaid budget Android phones *shudder* Like another poster mentioned, I too had Zune and Zune HD and when Windows Phone 7 was announced, I had my eyes set on the sexy Samsung Focus (sigh...such good memories). I then jumped from Lumia to Lumia. 925, 928, Icon, 1020, 1520, 520, Ativ SE and now I currently use a 635.

So far, I'm extremely satisfied with the 635 despite it being a budget phone. I've had various flagships and honestly, the 635 does everything the flagships did and does everything I use it for perfectly. I'm not a mobile gamer so the RAM limitations don't affect me at all. Highly recommended.

So yeah. I've been with WP for a long time and I will remain loyal for as long as the OS exists.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Originally had a HTC titan II on win mo 6.5. I liked the heavy customization you could do with it. Then I ended up booting Android from a sd card when it first came out to try it out. I loved it so my next phone was an android Dell Streak. Continued flashing and tinkering with it. After awhile I got bored of androids and wanted to try something new. I knew I didn't want an iPhone so I looked into WP. I liked what I saw and almost jumped at getting a Lumia 900 but saw it wouldn't get updated to WP8. It would have been either the 900 or HTC phone at the time the Titan I believe.

I sometimes think about going back to Android but I love the live tiles and the is in general. I still dabble in Android from time to time.i know they have a skin for the WP theme but its just not the same as actually having it. I'm hoping some great new devices will be coming out later this year so I can upgrade.i would love to stay with WP and hope the new devices coming out are worthy of an upgrade

Last edited:

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

When entering the smartphone era, I was still interested in physical keyboards so I had a choice of a Motorola backflip and the Samsung focus. I took the backflip because it had a physical keyboard and ANGRY BIRDS ( worst decision of my life). After a couple of months, the backflip would continuously restart itself, lag, and not receive phone calls. I opened another line to my family's At&t plan and got the Samsung focus flash after realizing that it had games with achievement points ( I'm huge achievement hunter, competing with my friends) so I got the the focus flash and been with windows phone ever since then. I then upgraded to a 920 that I shattered the screen and now I have a 1020 waiting (hopefully) for nokia/Microsoft to launch a flagship device this fall despite recent news.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Most phones today can handle being beaten by a hammer or being scratched by a knife(atleast the screen can).

But that is in no way a representation of how the phone would fare if it falls on concrete, which is a more realistic situation.

You should watch Marques Brownlee's iPhone 6: Sapphire Glass Explained(title is something like that) he explains how durable Gorilla Glass is and how knives don't damage most screens, etc etc.

The problem with saphire is it is brittle. Very scratch resistent but brittle. My 920 has been dropped more than either focus with no breaks. And even though I said the review made me decide to get it, in reality it just helped me rationalize the decision as the phone always appealed more to me.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Bad luck with androids and always loved nokias from back in my metro pcs days when i was an authorized dealer and was very intrigued by WP and heard that WP will have the best cameras. Loved windows and owned an Xbox ....only made sense and to honest aside of not having the apps I feel both my 920 and 1520 have been awesome! I just complain because....ios and android customer in regards to app count or os features don't have a complain in the world.... They have it all now if the OS is boring or buggy is another story but there os is closer to 100% than ours! Ms has been in the mobile sector for a long time sorry they didn't think is was going to take off ....apple did!

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

i too had a zuneHD and it died after a couple of years.

i had a feature phone, and it died out after 4 years.

so, i looked at windows 7 phone, and i wanted a hardware keyboard.
there were about 5 choices to replace both of them them at once.

ended up with the LG optimus, and windows 7.5 about a year ago.
to this day, it's not as good as the zune, but it is way better than any windows 8
phone when it comes to music playback, and syncing.

i will stick with it until it dies, which could be a few more years, or if a miracle
happens, and they make a new windows 8 one with a hardware keyboard.

i don't care about apps, games, or cameras, so updates on those don't matter at all to me.

i also don't care about RAM, the number of processors or screen resolution, all of those
make no difference to me.

as long as this phone works, i will keep it, and if there's no replacement when it dies,
i will get another used windows 7.5/7.8 phone again. since there are plenty on amazon and ebay.

there is no point in switching to android or ios, because all my applications, and software are
from microsoft, and run in windows.

later

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I was a Windows Mobile user during the time that iPhones and Androids came out and never saw a reason to switch. I've always used Microsoft products and services so I figured I'd rather try WP. I'll admit that the original WP 7 was a bit frustrating because it was so limited in functionality but I've been fine with WP since 7.5 (Mango).

anon(7937399)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Well, lets see.. I've always been a fan of Nokia's candy bar phones since 2001. Their durability and EXCELLENT antennas (NO ONE has better antenna engineers than Nokia!!) won me over. So I was already primed.

My first smartphone (for my business) was a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G. I did look at many Windows Phones, but just didn't know what to do. I did buy a Zune HD and loved the Metro interface. Primed again. I found out that no Android phone should have a single core processor. They require at least a dual-core at 1.5 GHz to run satisfactorily, and this phone had Gingerbread on it. Too many system (non-removable) apps: three email apps, two GPS apps, three music apps all running at the same time. Couldn't choose one and turn the others off. Very slow. Tried to root the phone and couldn't. Had to install a custom ROM to get it to run fast enough to use. GPS wouldn't lock for about four minutes when started. Bad experience. Then the custom ROM started to die and wouldn't come to life again, no matter how many times I reinstalled it.

iPhones: high DPI makes the type small, not the size of the screen itself; I like smaller phones. Can be jailbroken.

I had had enough. I needed a phone for my business that I couldn't root or jailbreak. I'm a tweaker, and that's how I learn. That's what I said to the T-Mobile folks, and they pointed me to Windows Phone. I bought a Lumia 810 and used it for about a year. Instant GPS lock and free offline maps for life. I was sold on Windows Phone. If T-Mobile had let the Black firmware get on the 810, I MIGHT have stayed. But they didn't, so I'm on Verizon with a better 928.

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

Was on android. Messy interface, slow and cheap feeling. Horrible fonts. Had an iPod touch 4 but found it to simple with the static icons. Tried a wp7 theme on the android. Liked the ui. Decided to go with the real thing with a Huawei Ascend w1. Very good price and features compared to the other cheap androids. This phone feels, looks and performs like a higher end phone but is one of the lowest end wp's. Am not going anywhere and looking forward to a Lumia in the future.

Sent from my HUAWEI H883G using Tapatalk

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

What made me pick up windows phone was the ability to work on the go with office, sure it has annoying quirks like you can only attach documents from the office hub. But this is now moot with WP 8.1 and the third party file managers, however when I was working I got around this issue using one drive, I predominately used word and onenote (the cloud sync made my life sooo much easier).

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

I was on Blackberry forever before this. I didn't wanna an iPhone at all, and I really-really didn't want an Android. And so I got an HTC Radar with Windows 7.5. That's honestly still my primary phone now, and I'm looking forward to any high-end Windows Phone 8.1 Nokia puts out this year. McLaren (minus) 3D Touch sounds great to me, 3GB of RAM and 5.2 inch screen on T-Mobile and all. :)

TripleHelix192

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

When I was first looking at smartphones (about 2009 I think) I was looking at the then new iPhone 3G as I was already accustomed to my iPod Touch. Then my friend showed me HTC, and I fell in love with the HD2, which was Windows Mobile. I loved the then massive screen on it! When I learned of Windows Phone 7 I absolutely loved it! And I haven't had anything else!

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Live tiles and message hub

Too bad MS decided to remove the integration of FB to Messages.

Still, I've been a loyal fan of Nokia and would not be breaking streak. Been out on them for like 3 years and when I came back with the 920, it's still the same solid Nokia I loved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea