Why did you decide to buy a windows phone?

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Back in 2010, I was on a Windows Mobile 6.5 device. I knew I was going to upgrade by the end of the year when my contract was up. Some coworkers had purchased the brand new, Samsung Galaxy S phone and they were pretty sweet. At that time I had very little experience with Android so that phone seemed 10 levels of cool. Eventually, I started hearing about Windows Phone 7 and it looked interesting. When the HTC HD7 was announced, it looked really slick and I've always been one to go against the grain so when my contract expired, I went with that instead of an Android phone.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
My reason is pretty straightforward. Dropped my HTC Sensation and broke its screen. Contract wasn't up for renewal. Lumia 521 just came out for $130. I thought I'll give it a try and sell it after my contract was eligible for renewal. The $130 521 was better than my $500 Android, at the time! I liked the system and stuck with it... I recently upgraded to 925. I guess the MS/Nokia strategy to lure folks in with entry level efficient phones worked on me!

XiaoMoko

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Because I need a budget smartphone and a camera. IPhone and Samsung seem to be overrated for me. So I chose the Lumia 925.

Furthermore, I like the WP interface.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
This question changed for me so many times..

The reason I ever bought a Windows Phone is because as much as I liked the iPhone, I knew it was way overpriced, and that every man and his dog owned one. Even back when I bought my Samsung Omnia 7, EVERYONE owned an iPhone. This was before Samsung crashed the market (The Galaxy S was out and had not taken off as much as the S2, S3 and S4 have).

So I bought an Omnia 7 - haven't looked back.

But the reason for me changed when the Lumia 920 came out: I bought it purely because it just looked like the phone for me. Design like no other on the market, simplicity, the best camera on the market at the time in comparison to Android and iOS devices, and by that time, despite the gripes of WP7, couldn't leave behind how used to Windows Phone I was.

Now with a 1520, I really do regret nothing. In a lot of ways, I'm happy that I couldn't afford an iPhone - it made me pick something a bit unique, and now I never see myself going back. Three years later, I am able to afford an iPhone with a new job and such, but still wouldn't switch. I've come to appreciate how GOOD Windows Phone is, and how great it will become, and the past week with everything that occurred at BUILD gives me full confidence in the platform.

For me now, I have a Windows Phone for it's sheer power to do things the simple way, Lumia devices for basically being an CSLR in your pocket, and how well this all translates to a W8 Desktop and Windows 8 tablet device.

:)

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Been a Nokia boy for as long as I can remember.
My wife loves Android but I find it way too slow. She's just used to how it behaves now.
The iPhone has never interested me. Especially as the earlier models were missing basic features that old Nokias have had for years.
Windows Phone was the only option. I didn't feel like it was forced on me because of this. I was using a Nokia N8 since its release and I loved that phone but when I saw the L920 I just had to have it. Those few months between its reveal and release were spent looking at it online, waiting to hear news that it was coming sooner than originally expected. That never happened :(
When I finally did get it I was sooo happy. The N8 was officially retired and I don't regret it.

jaygss

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My first "real" Smartphone was a HTC Diamond 2 (running Windows Mobile 6.1, then 6.5). It had great access, worked really nice but got damn laggy and slow (until it was unusable- especially the SMS-Threaded view). And with its resistive Touchscreen and stylus... gorgeous (I didn't see a phone since then with that kind of sensitivity). Anyway, I switched to a Nexus S after, really nice phone as well, but got slower and slower, especially after updating to Android 4.0.3. I was done with Android then.

Then Nokia announced its first Windows Phone, the Lumia 800. I was always very happy with my Nokias, just when Symbian got so outdated, I had to switch to something else. I bought it as soon as it came out (for a premium price), was greatly disappointed, because it was nowhere near the possibilities of Windows Mobile. The build quality was great though, and the camera good. I got a used Trophy 7 as spare phone when I had problems with the battery and had to send it to repair. But I loved the simplicity and the no-nonsense OS of WP7.
When the 920 came out, naturally, I had to have it (better camera, better OS,...) so I got it as soon as it came out. Not in the color I wanted (yellow), but in the color that was available (white).

Now I am considering getting the 930, although the missing glance screen is a big bummer, love that about the 920.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Been a long Windows Mobile user in the early 2000s and always been happy. Moved to Android since its birth. Later on, got sick and tired of Google policies and got a Lumia 1520 as a gift and moved to WP, keeping my Galaxy Note 2 as a spare. In about 4 months of usage i have had so many shortcomings that the phone is now sitting at home unused simless (been like that for over 2 months) and i am back to my Galaxy Note II. Reluctantly i have to admit that Android, as much intrusive as it can be, still offers the best experience for advanced users or business users. Windows phone has so many OS limitations, lack of key functionalities (some keyboard inputs included for Asia), and also interoperability issues that make its use very very unpleasant compared to what i was using.

I am waiting for HTC to market an M8 Max or Samsung with the new Note 4 and the will sell the Note II as well. The 1520 has been for sale for a while too.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
My main reason for buying Windows Phone was Nokia. From the great 3310, I had over a dozen phones; all of them Nokia. I got introduced to WP with 820 and I think coupling Nokia with WP can be called the greatest marriage on earth. Absolutely love the hardware and the software.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Because Windows Phone just felt right as soon as I started using it. I used my wife's iPhone & hated it. My daughters android phone, hated it too.

Emreskopi

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
WP phones are equipped with good cameras and have stylish unique designs. WP OS has a good UI and typography. Simplicity and functions are well balanced. I was an expert rooted Android user but I got bored to deal with details on Android. I purchased a Nokia Luma 925.

mathewhayward

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Because of the camera on the 920

That and I was getting a bit bored with iPhones after buying one every year for the past 5 years.

Now I've just retired my trusty Lumia 920 for a 1020

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Very short: it was cheap.

Have an L520. It could do calls and sms, so I went for it :)sarcastic lol).
As for the innovations, I'm really not "that" interested in them...

I've realised that a cell phone is NEVER worth what most ppl pay for it.
Money that could be spent much better if it weren't for all those gadgeteries...

But since we are talking about the reasons to choose WP....the main reason should simply be because it is a secure platform.
Not the reason why I bought one, but for most ppl that would be ("should" be) the main reasoning.

Grtz.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
My reason is pretty straightforward. Dropped my HTC Sensation and broke its screen. Contract wasn't up for renewal. Lumia 521 just came out for $130. I thought I'll give it a try and sell it after my contract was eligible for renewal. The $130 521 was better than my $500 Android, at the time! I liked the system and stuck with it... I recently upgraded to 925. I guess the MS/Nokia strategy to lure folks in with entry level efficient phones worked on me!

I LIED! Forgot to say, that hadn't not been a Nokia, I wouldn't have touched it. Grew up with Nokia since I were 15...

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Part of it was to b different. I didn't want to just follow everyone and get something that everyone else had. But I had to choose between a Galaxy S1 and an LG Optimus 7 at the time. Didn't want an IPhone.
Galaxy seemed like the logical choice at the time but windows phone intrigued me. Plus it was my first foray into the smartphones so it really didn't matter which I used honestly.
The major factor was that I got a free Xbox360 when I signed up for the Optimus 7 on contract lol. How could you say no to that (I didnt have an Xbox, only a Wii. So that was a good way to pickup a secondary console lol). The optimus eventually failed on me but it wasn't enough to detract me from windows. I got me a Lumia 710 to replace it and its been far more reliable than the LG. But now im at the end of 7.8 and I need to jump onto WP8.1. Lumia 930 here I come!

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I was using a 3GS. I watched the live stream of WWDC, and Jobs announced the iPhone 4. I actually was quite determine to get the iPhone 4 as my next phone then. My contract, however, wasn't up yet so I had to hold on for a little longer. Along the few months of waiting, I was exposed to more and more news of WP7. I remember it being very iconic, the live tiles and stuff. Most reviewers on YouTube will be using the LG/Samsung WP7 device (not for sale).

Then, the first WP devices came onto the market. HTC, Samsung, LG etc. I was attracted to the HD7 for its big screen. I went with the HD7, and I liked it at first. After a long period of usage, I agree that the WP during that time is lacking. I was already considering an iPhone (4s/5) for my next device when my contract is up. Some issues that I faced with my HD7 was the ****ty LCD screen that is completely useless under sunlight, ****ty audio from the video recording, ****ty low light camera performance. The framerate of video capture was barely 25FPS I think.

However, I did love the lenses that you can use with the camera. The app selection was a joke, but I really dig the "Metro UI". I liked having the big headers that made WP iconic. Don't really like how the current mainstream apps are like their iOS or Android counterparts. Twitter would be a good example. The old design was really different and I prefer that design language. I like the social integrations. I like how fluid the OS is.

Then, Nokia came into the picture. Elop showed the "Searay", and I immediately regretted my HD7. Along the year, more and more devices were released. I remember wanting to get a Lumia 900 badly.

Microsoft announced WP8. I like it very much, but I had a hard time accepting the fact that they removed the "gutter" on the homescreen. I feel that it was something that made WP unique and different. It made the homescreen too symmetrical, and that's why I am currently looking forward to WP8.1. Wide tiles will be awesome on the homescreen :) Watched the Nokia event and Elop announced the WP8 line up. Decided 920 will be my next.

About 16 months with my 920 now. I'm already wanting a 1520, like how I used to want a 900.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium