Why did you decide to buy a windows phone?

portalfocus

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: So what made you pick a windows phone in the first place?

The fast you can get things done on Windows phone.
* keyboard
* user interface
* live tile
* the performance
* the experience

crisdiaz01

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Honestly, I had several lagdroids, and I hated them. I've never heard about windows phone, until I did research for some budget phone, and I like what I saw with the 521. I love this OS, and will never go to Android again :p. Hopefully soon I'll be able to upgrade to a 925 or a 1520

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

My android razar HD screen blacks out, I had no insurance through Verizon... bought a nokia 822 at a second had store. Faith would had decided it all this I suppose, but if I did not go after the cheapest phone I would have maybe passed WP right up!?!?! So after almost a year of use with the 8-2-2 I drop the phone and shatter screen. My phone still worked fourntane enough! Still after maybe 4 months of constant, wide eyed,, addicted use.... I decided to cash in on the Lavish, Sleek devil NOKIA 928; which I am currently and have been on since Febuary 2014. This device has changed my life!! Im sure there are others out there just like me.
Bottom line I chose windows phone simply to go a cheaper route..

Question: I am very interested in developing and creating Apps. Also I would be very apprectaive for any advice or tips relating to windows phone, and Windows 8/8.1 os devices. Obssesed? I am. Confused? yes Would I love to become a developer troubleshoot tech? Absolutly!

I wish NOKIA had a user program. I currently own 4 Windows 8/8.1 devices.

NOKIA 822 ((Status?? With battery mounted to phone, I have powered with USB to PC
NOKIA 928 ((((CURRENT: This device totally rocks! Camera is out of this world, would love to create apps with all the designs I have created through windows apps
NOKIA 1020((((((( Doesn't get any better does it?? Well I am a Verizon Customer, bought from website, Unlocked, I think.. what I have trited, it will not activate under Verizon? ANy advice would be awesome!!!

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

my iPhone 4 broke a few years ago was on search for a new phone trusted the Nokia and saw the Lumia 900 online, ordered it, never gone back. Rocking a 930 now!

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Being a hard-core Microsoft fan I didn't even paid for an Android handset. I used java then I switched directly to WP. Iam quite happy about not trying a android. 😉

I_m_Snah

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

I just want to try a Windows Phone because of its uniqueness. 😉

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 via Tapatalk.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I picked Windows Phone for three reasons. One is that I was using a Nokia the time, a N8 and was generally happy with Nokia quality even though the plastic body thing was not overly appealing to me. I have been using Microsoft products for a majority of my life and thought it would be a good fit for me and third is that I was racing the Lumia 920 with that Google Nexus 4 at the time and the Lumia 920 came out first so I got it.

To disappoint your run of good stories. I've not had the best experience with WP and with the current climate with WP, the L920 might be last WP for a couple of years. Nothing has come out so far in the way of hardware that makes me want to get a new WP. Not only that but the OS is still too immature and lacks some of the things I want. This doesn't mean I won't return to WP in the future but currently I'm a little bored and tired of the whole thing. I've had enough with the waiting personally. I'm willing to give it to the end of the year as I don't plan to get anything until January but currently I have no desire to stick around.

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

My story starts with the Nokia E71, started reading the forums, get smartphone on the cheap - AT&T did NOT recognize the unlocked E71 as a smartphone, thus $10 unlimited data. After that the Nokia N8 for about 2 years (once again w $10 unlimited data). AT&T started detecting unlocked smartphones & switching to more expensive data plans, thus what next ?

Because i'd owned (& luv'd) Nokia's, I looked @ the then new Nokia Lumia 900, but didn't pull the trigger. Soon found out, unsupported (WinPhone 8) going forward, so I stuck with my trusty N8. BUT, I wanted (needed) more screen real estate. Almost pulled the trigger on a Dell Venue Pro (with the slide down keyboard & the large (@ the time) 4" display. Beautiful phone, but software issues killed that. Decision was NOT an iPhone, because of cost & locked down OS. Android scared me, it's open source & rate of adoption lent itself to exploits - knowing it would happen (not IF it would happen). Plus, Android degraded over time, the OS was a pig w resources.

Picked up a Lumia 920, day after release & luv'd that phone. Had it replaced by service after a digitizer repair (cracked screen) caused other issues. My wife coveted it, thought about another for her ... but the Lumia 1520 was beckoning. Ordered that (online - 3rd party) on Super Bowl Sunday(halftime), handed my Lumia 920 down to my wife - & that's where it stands. My wife is NOT a techie, but she LUVs that phone (falls asleep with it next to her) & I similarly luv my Lumia 1520.

Hope MS can right the ship & continue with Win Phone.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Short version...liked the music player, the hubs idea, and the phonebook was first rate. Sadly, only the phonebook is still good of those three these days...OS still looks good though...

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

The presentation of the start screen for WP7 is what got me. I used an Andriod Evo, but it just seemed too convoluted. There was no sense of organization, you had icons everywhere, had to swipe through like nine screens to get all your information. The WP start screen was simply beautiful, and had all your important information right there. I had an HTC Trophy on Verizon. With WP8 AT&T seemed to really be onboard with WP, so I ditched Verizon so I could get the 920. Not only did I love the WP interface, but I loved what Nokia brought to the table. Now I have a 1520 and across the board I think it's one of the best phones out there. Yes, some things have changed, but with the exception of showing the music on the tile while it's playing and having playback features, Xbox music isn't that bad. MSFT has been making good on their promise to update accordingly. I do like the radio feature. I love what 8.1 provides from the action center to Cortana, to the transparent tiles. WP8.1 did change the landscape a little but not to the extent that you forgot you're holding a WP. It's still the smoothest, most visual stimulating OS out there, and the app gap (games) is really the only issue, though I love the games that I have on WP.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

You know I'm not a huge app person. I mostly use my live tiles for news, stocks, and youtube. Yea I have Twitter and Instagram, but I don't live by them, so having an app for them is just meh. So for me the only true app gap is ComiXology. If they would just come back to WP I've be 100% fine.

I hadn't heard of comixology. After reading your post I had to Bing it. Now I want that app that doesn't exist. I'll sign the petition.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

NOKIA 1020((((((( Doesn't get any better does it?? Well I am a Verizon Customer, bought from website, Unlocked, I think.. what I have trited, it will not activate under Verizon? ANy advice would be awesome!!!

Verizon uses CDMA to hardwire/tether phones to their system, while AT&T and T-Mo use GSM (SIM cards). You can only BYOD with Verizon if it is a phone that was purchased from Verizon, then inactivated for whatever reason. Same story with Sprint. And that's why I'm an AT&T customer (certainly not their award-winning *ahem* customer service or WP support).

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I picked WP because of MS's 'update Tuseday' from the PC desktop system. Thought it would apply to the handsets. How wrong I was!!

mukulagarwal

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site

The only thing made me go to WP was ....to buy something diffrent from which was common.....something other than lagdroid......and i just say nokia growing.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

I've had cell phones since 1996, but my Lumia 920 is my first smartphone.

Spring 2013, everyone in the house had Windows 8 on their computers except me. I was a student taking 6 classes and my daughter convinced me I didn't need to add an OS upgrade to my workload. I decided to get a "mini Win 8 computer" for myself for graduation (my 920). I did upgrade the laptop about 2 hours after turning in my last assignment. I couldn't wait to do live tiles on a large scale after having my phone for 2 months...

Deciding against Android was a no-brainer -- Google seized the open source OS a long time ago and I have never liked the advertising company that masquerades as a service provider. Apple? They have always been a bit too OCD for me, not playing well with others, demanding premium prices for their software/hardware combinations that are bent on defying any industry standards. So, iPhone? Yeah, no.

I'm a Microsoft junky. There. I've admitted it. Bill G had my undying loyalty when Microsoft introduced Office and enabled me to toss all the keyboard templates reminding me what keys worked with what program. The universal menu structure and keyboard shortcuts made perfect sense. Now they're working on doing that with Windows and the Windows Phone OSs.

I've since bought a 920 for my daughter and just last week, a 920 for my husband. Although this model has been discontinued (which means it's cheap to acquire), it's still the sweetest phone I've ever seen. The design is distinctive and the curved body makes it so easy to lift off a table and comfortable to hold. I'm not sure what I'll do when it comes time to replace it. Every other phone out there looks like every other phone out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers