Why did you decide to buy a windows phone?

Atticuscr

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: So what made you pick a windows phone in the first place?

Reason: Android Sucked back in 2010-2011,,, I moved to Windows Phone 7.0, HTC Surround was first then Samsung Focus ... I hated on Android to keep killing apps, my ram always exhausted, I spend too much time baby sitting my phone, killing apps, rooting, deleting bloatware, upgrading with custom firmware as the vendor didn't update the phone... too much hassle.

Windows phone 7/7.5 gave me everything I needed
- No need to baby sit
- No need to root (unless you're in the scene!)
- Exchange SuperB integration
- FB and Twitter Integration, app-less , MSN Messenger too! :) (now happy memories)
- The Tiles

Not having a Notfication center, the copy paste and other basic stuff didn't kept me away, not even the small app catalog.

Then Windows Phone 7.5 came, I loved my Samsung Focus phone a lot, I had like 3 of them and 4 of my friends converted to WP just because is still a performer (the O.S and the Phone Hardware)! (I kept buying used phones, and they are still working today!)

Yes, I interop-unlocked the phone to change the MMS settings (I'm in costa rica) then used other tools to upgrade the phone to Windows Phone 7.8... but I loved the phone, even the camera (5mpx) was always a way much better performer than any other android phone, 720p Video Camera I loved it, Photo Camera always shooted the best pictures.

At August 2013 Moved to a Lumia 620 with Windows 8 :cool:, The phone I didn't find it as performer than my old phone with failing battery :grincry:, but It opened a new world, new apps, more updated platform :smile:,,, camara was bah! but what can I say, then my Carrier Offered me My Lumia 925 and I love that Phone!, Old Lumia 620 was stolen! :cry:

WP Lumia 925 was updated with Dev Preview to 8.1 and moving it back to 8.0 was a killer, the phone does not seem like the same and Honestly I'm hoping Lumia Cyan gets released for my Phone soon. :smile:

Today I'm waiting for end of year to see which phone will be next, which phone will replace my Windows Phone, but Take something for sure, the only way I move away from WP would be Microsoft killing the platform, Samsung does not sell their windows phones here in Costa Rica, HTC neither, only Nokia sell their phones here... Next Phone will be a Windows Phone...

soul347

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

The main reason I switched:

Integration with my Windows PC. Everything syncs almost seamlessly: Calendar, Office docs, One Note, Music/Video App, One drive. Makes my life so much easier.

You may be able to sync some or most of these things on android/iphone, but they don't do it nearly as well.

Anthony Morgan

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

My reason for getting the Lumia Icon that I have now (bought off contract because of a Verizon Unlimited plan that I am NOT giving up until they pry it from my cold, dead hand) actually started in 1998 with a Compaq Aero Pocket PC running Windows CE. Since then I have had just about every flavor of Windows based mobile device (AudioVox / UT Starcom XV6700, Samsung Omnia, HTC Trophy and now Lumia Icon). I have always found them to be the best of breed in PIM (personal information management) by truly linking my information from my computer and putting it in my hand. My wife had to deal with "HotSync"-ing her Handspring and Palm devices which I thought was ridiculous. I still live in Outlook and Outlook.com and WP8.1 works seamlessly with them for me. (Oh, and my 11 year old daughter gets a big kick out of Cortana).

shykhan16

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

I had a Galaxy S2 on T-Mobile and it was terrible! I hated the android software, so laggy so slow and just looked bad. I didn't want an iPhone, I mean I like the iPad but ios just didn't seem right on the small screen. And then finally my upgrade came and I was looking for something different. I remember hearing about the Lumia 710 and it sounded nice but I didn't get it cause well the wp7 software didn't look so great. BUT then I saw the Lumia 925. It looked so amazing, so thin and the aluminum sides with the glossy screen caught my attention. It head wp8 on it and a preview camera and it looked awesome. So I got it and I immediately fell in love. The camera was amazing and I always get attention from when we compare pictures. I got the 925 in October of last year and I still have and i am still in love. I can wait till the rumored Lumia 1525 comes out to T-Mobile!!!

drachen23

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Believe it or not, the API was what got me to buy a Windows Phone. I'm an MS-centric developer (mostly web) and on one of my RSS or twitter feeds, I happened to come across a free ebook about making apps for the original WP7. I was unemployed at the time and needed something productive to do between interviews. I really liked the API and tools and went out to buy a Samsung Focus to test on real hardware. I intended to keep the Focus on my desk just for testing purposes, but I ended up leaving my Android-powered Samsung Captivate on my desk instead, only using it as a spare battery charger (the Focus and Captivate had the exact same battery). I really liked the OS design language and fluidity, especially compared to the version of Android on the Captivate.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

Love that it was different. Being my first smartphone, I had no expectations. Like the design, love the tiles, and different.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Nokia's beautiful, unique design and indestructibility and Microsoft's very unique new mobile interface.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

For me, I was already a Windows Mobile phone user for several years. I don't remember when I got my first one, but it was well before the iPhone came out in '07. And becaue my associate degree was partly VB.NET, I was already in the Microsoft ecosystem, and wrote a few applications for both desktop and mobile devices with barcode scanners in a factory setting using VB. So in 2010 when Visual Studio 2010 launched, and I went to the VS 2010 launch event, I was thrilled when I saw a prototype unit demonstrated by Glen Gordon, who was at the time my local Microsoft Developer Evangelist, and I fell in love with it right away.

I knew I had to have that phone six months before it ever became public. I don't remember now who made the prototypes, but what was on the screen just had me mesmerized. I had to have it. I was so over using a stylus on my screen in Windows Mobile. I was tired of that tiny resistive screen. It was time for something new. I had been proud to have a smart phone before the iPhone came out and people knew what a smart phone was, but it was time to step into the new decade. Windows Phone was that step for me.

When the time came, and Windows Phone launched, I had both a happy and sad birthday. It launched on my birthday, but in Europe, not in America. So to those of you who complain about how it takes longer to get to your country, I can relate. I wanted WP for my birthday, and this time I was the one on the wrong side of the pond. But it gets worse. It launched on ATT and T-Mobile. Not Verizon, my carrier. I held out, since I had seen the leaked fliers that were given to Microsoft employees, advertising the Trophy by December. But December came and went, and there was still no Windows Phone on Verizon.

I took up the cause. I started making phone calls, writing emails, and I did get through to an executive's assistant in Atlanta. She heard my complaint, but of course couldn't tell me anything. I created a website, www.verizonwp7.com, to gather "signatures" of people who wanted WP7 on Verizon.

Later, I learned that WP7 didn't have CDMA support. WHAT??? But it was coming in the NoDo update. Ok... Let's get it out here. I remember reading that NoDo had gone RTM, and started counting the days. On March 16, if I remember right, Sprint launched the Arrive. I liked that phone. It was like my Windows Mobile with the slider keyboard, but running Windows Phone. I switched. Bye-bye Verizon. I'm going with someone who cares.

Not so fast. Sprint coverage where I lived sucks. They even sent me a microcel (whatever they call it). It converts your internet connection to carry the phone signal. Fine if I'm within 20 feet of the thing, but I had a huge yard, and I wasn't always at home. Sorry, Sprint - I like the phone, but I can't deal with the coverage. So long....

Back to Verizon... And back to my Touch Pro II. :straight:

But then Microsoft came to town, and TechEd was right in my back yard. I couldn't afford TechEd, but there was going to be a Windows Phone App Garage one of the nights of TechEd. I had to get a phone! I was working on an app, and I'd heard that they were going to be giving something like 25 of them away to people who wrote apps. Awesome! But I needed something to test on (I think this was really just an excuse to get a phone). I went to ATT and got a Samsung Focus. What a beauty!

I went to the App Garage at one of the hotels near TechEd, and over the next few weeks, I got my app done, and another, and I got not one, not two, but three phones (Samsung Focus) from Microsoft! I sold two of them right away - was unemployed - and kept the third for a while to let friends use as a trial. In the meantime, I'd decided that ATT's coverage was not up to par for my needs, either. So alas, I'm stuck with Verizon... And back to my Touch Pro II. :straight: It's amazing they let me come back, after transferring out twice in two months.

But then, BIG NEWS! The HTC Trophy was going to be on Verizon! On May 26, launch day, I got my Verizon HTC Trophy! YAY!!! FINALLY! A phone that I can love AND use!

When Windows Phone 8 was announced, I was again upset. No high-end phone on Verizon. I made the same round of phone calls and emails to Verizon, and ended up with the very same exec's assistant in Atlanta. I took my domain, www.verizonwp7.com and changed it to a survey asking what phone you wanted to see on Verizon. Overwhelmingly, the 920 was the choice. But this time the exec assistant said that she had SEEN my survey page. And just as in the prior case, she said that she was glad to get my feedback. It wasn't until several months later that we got the Lumia 928 on Verizon, and somewhere around that time my domain registration for verizonwp7 expired, and I didn't bother renewing it, for lack of need. It wasn't wp7 anymore, after all. :wink:

I'd picked up the 822 on launch day - free, no less, thanks to Best Buy's deal (or was it price matching? I don't remember for sure). On 928 launch day I picked that one up from the Verizon store, and likewise on Icon launch day.

Yes, I think Windows Phone was made just for me. :smile:

Adithyan Hari

May 6, 2014
Visit site

I was an android guy (2010) but I the first time I had a glance on a windowsphone maybe lumia 900 I guess...I had a feeling that this is gonna change something. Now being the Third Smartphone OS, honestly all those Nokia fanboys including me loves it,keeping in mind "yeah the OS is young and immature, but its gonna get big SOOONer, I love, I'll wait for it".........Hope MKSFT won't show their back on us :winktongue:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Believe it or not, the API was what got me to buy a Windows Phone. I'm an MS-centric developer (mostly web) and on one of my RSS or twitter feeds, I happened to come across a free ebook about making apps for the original WP7. I was unemployed at the time and needed something productive to do between interviews. I really liked the API and tools and went out to buy a Samsung Focus to test on real hardware. I intended to keep the Focus on my desk just for testing purposes, but I ended up leaving my Android-powered Samsung Captivate on my desk instead, only using it as a spare battery charger (the Focus and Captivate had the exact same battery). I really liked the OS design language and fluidity, especially compared to the version of Android on the Captivate.

I, too, was unemployed at the time, and used WP development to teach myself C# (I'd wrote a few applications for desktop and Windows Mobile in VB.NET) while looking for a job. :wink:

BootsMcGuinness

May 30, 2014
Visit site

Nokia stopped making/supporting MeeGo/Swipe OS/Nokia N9. I used an N9 for 2 years but as time went on it started to show it's age. If the N9 or a successor to the N9 existed I wouldn't use windows phone. So basically I use windows phone out of necessity for a cell phone and because iOS and Android have awful UIs

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

My first memory is of poking myself in the eye with a model of F-18 which my dad built. I always liked things that looked cool.
Iphone - Android never did it in the looks department. Using em for work and checkin out friends phones didn't do anything to sway me over. I held onto my 6720 classic for ages waiting for something that would get my attention.

I use Windows on my PC plus build my own rig.
Apple is for dummies who think they have a clue and android is just a waste of time for people who value efficiency and aesthetics.

I was planning on a Lumia 900 but didn't like the feature set so when WP8 came out and ticked all the proper boxes it was very easy. Lumia 820 is my first smartphone.
Can't see myself going to the others at all even if MS manage to keep screwing ther pooch with their many failures.

Bang for your buck Lumia 820 has it in spades :)

dqgeek

May 11, 2012
Visit site

I started my smartphone journey with a hand-me-down BlackBerry Curve. Then I read an article in Maximum PC in 2010 comparing phone OSes which gave WP7 high marks and also have high marks to the Samsung Focus. I liked what I read about the OS and what I saw of the OS pictures in the article. Shortly after that AT&T had a 2-for-1 deal on the Focus, just in time for my wife and I to get them for Christmas. When we went to a local store, they had one on display and contrary to some of the horror stories I've read here about salespeople trying to steer folks away from WP, mine was quite happy to demonstrate the unit and talk about its features. Loved the difference of the OS and kinda liked the fact that it wasn't the "cool" or status symbol phone. I currently use the L920 and the wife has the L520.

moserftbl88

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

I switched from a HTC Thunderbolt to the HTC 8X. I had gotten bored with android it felt like all the phones were essentially the same. I had seen commercials for Windows Phone and looked into it and the idea of the live tiles was intriguing to me and seemed like a change of pace and I'm glad I made the switch.

Padraig McGloin

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

Had a nokia N95 then a N8 and loved it but nokia then discontinued symbian now have a 920, the 920 dose some things better but kinda miss the tricks the N8 had like HDMI, fm transmitter and the 3.5mm audio jack had AV capibilities.

But still think Windows is better than ios and android, the layout isn't infinatly customisable which I actually like (sometimes enough is a feast) and I like someting different, aswell as windows phones allowing you to buy a phone in not just white or black but a colour, and the lumia 920 is a high end phone but not fragile, I've acenditily dropped mine left it out in light rain and it's absolutly fine.

Soon upgrading and thinking of either 1520 or 930 :D

d-laybook

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

I had a blackberry, an ipad and a pc. Taking some time to really think about what I wanted from my technology instead of thinking about what technology I wanted was a huge paradigm shift for me. That was what brought me to Windows Phone. One of the things I realized was I wanted to be all in on one eco-system to eliminate the little things that dont work well across different platforms. They were really bugging me. Blackberry was out because they didnt make a PC and their tablet was lacking (I kept buying and returning it because I wanted to like it). Apple was out because I didnt want an iphone. No hate for iphone, I just didnt want to have the same phone as the masses. That left Windows Phone. At the time, the Lumia 800 was just released so I tried it and loved it. Been moving through the different phones ever since. Lumia 800, Lumia 920, Samsung Ativ S, Lumia 925 and now Lumia 1520.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site

My history started with Android - I wanted an iPhone, but was turned off by their trying to force new users to go to AT&T. So bought a Samsung Vibrant. Kept it livable with Cyanogen Mod, but a friend nagged at me at how great Windows Phones were. At the time, some guy made a WP7 emulator for Android. I fell in love with the Metro Interface and ended up keeping that UI permanently - and I was one who habitually changed the UI 3X per week at a minimum! So decided to give the real thing a try and picked up the HD7 Mozart. Loved it. The Metro UI is what really drew me.
Then Lumia came out and I bought the 800. Terrible camera, but I was blown away by how Nokia did Maps and unassisted GPS which I tested out in the middle of Arizona! And what a great looking phone design!! Then went to 900, briefly to 521 and then to the 1020 that I still have.
Between the 900 and 521 I spent a year with the 808 PureView which as a photographer I couldn't resist even though it took me away from WP - and yes, I did miss it!
When I went back to the 521 I still used the 808 as a weekend phone for the camera until the 1020 came out.

In an alternative universe where I had been able/willing to go with iPhone and AT&T, I think I still would have ended up back at WP and the Lumia 1020. When the 808 came out, there is no way I would have passed that up even if I did have an iPhone. The camera on that thing was amazing and the Symbian was still livable. Had Nokia continued and made an LTE version of it with Sailfish, I might have stayed forever. However, the 808 is what made me a raving Nokia fan boy. I even picked up an old 6010 and rebuilt to make myself a keen little emergency phone which I still have with me with a prepaid T-Mobile chip.
That exposure to Nokia I'm sure would have led me straight into the 1020 because of the continuation of the camera.. and hey, it's a Nokia! . Besides, I have been falling out of love more and more with Apple lately. Not very innovative and if it weren't for the sheer popularity, I consider them as stale as BlackBerry now..

RAdamHadAMeal

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site

I was all about WebOS. I had my brothers hand me down Palm Pre. I Loved everything about it. I knew it would take off and beat out Android and iOS. How could it not, right? The iPhone always seemed so cheap and boring for the price and android had so many problems at the time. So when the Pre2 came out and the HP Pre3 was announced I switched to a new Pre2 and was so excited. WebOS 2.0! The very best. My ex girlfriend had a Kin (WP beta I guess) it was so laughable. And when Windows Phone came out I always made fun of it. Why would anyone touch that? What is Microsoft thinking. Everyone was copying WebOS and their cards so I knew it was just a matter of time until I had a fancy new WebOS device. And then HP killed WebOS. And then my Pre2 started to crash constantly. When I finally dropped it and it cracked I was so mad that I through it against the wall. I didn't want to go Android and I didn't have the money for an iPhone which I wouldn't want anyway. My older brother who had gotten me into WebOS told me windows phone would be the way to go soon. And sure enough after I got my HTC trophy with WP Mango, I was more than amazed. There were apps, it had such an interesting easy to use interface. And it never crashed. I couldn't believe the battery later 8 whole hours, not to mention the camera. After WP8 was announced I tried to update the little Trophy and managed to get a custom ROM of 7.8, but finally last year I got a Lumia 822. That's when I decided to never look back. Everyone I knew was envious of my Atlas and I've convinced a lot of people to jump to WP, mainly cuz I'm a show off. I finally got a good job and an apartment. Paying my way in life so I decided I should get my own phone plan. Right now I'm writing this with my nice new Lumia Icon in hand, sitting in a Hooters, waiting to see Lady Gaga. I can't wait to see what my 20mp camera can really do. In conclusion, the main thing that keeps me churning with WP is the interface, the fact that its well taken care of by Microsoft and has amazing Nokia hardware isn't bad either, and I love that its getting more popular and more support. My boss at work got a Lumia Icon because of me as well. My older brother got me into. I know I'm going off on a tangent but back when I switched to WP I remember what got me there was something he said. A friend of mine (now an HTC 8xt user) and I, jokingly said he betrayed the WebOS Nation and he said, "I didn't betray my nation. I moved to a country where the government actually cares about me." That got me. Haha. Microsoft really does support the hell out of us. I know it sound silly but its also one of the many reasons i stay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett