Are OEMs going to start pushing Windows Phone over Android now?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So I was thinking about this today and I was wondering... do you guys think that some OEMs are going to start trying to get people off of Android to get them to run Windows Phone? Since Windows Phone now is cheaper than Android since OEMs have to pay Microsoft to use Android, but not Windows Phone, that could save some of these OEMs that are in a race to the bottom a lot of money. An OEM such as say, Prestigio (I can't find any data on them, so they must not be that big) could look at their spreadsheets and go "you know, if we switched our entire user base from Android to Windows Phone, we could probably save $3 million over the next few years", which will get them to stop pushing Android and start pushing Windows Phone. What do you guys think? Is that even possible?

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
You have to also take into fact could they sell the same amount of hardware? Smaller companies bank on the Android brand to help with sales.

Major brands, however, like HTC and Samsung might start focusing more now that they don't have to research and make new designs for Windows Phone 8.1.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You have to also take into fact could they sell the same amount of hardware? Smaller companies bank on the Android brand to help with sales.

Major brands, however, like HTC and Samsung might start focusing more now that they don't have to research and make new designs for Windows Phone 8.1.

Are you sure about that? I keep getting told by everyone that people buy the brand, not the OS. For example, people buy Apple, not iOS; people buy Samsung, not Android; people buy Nokia, not Windows Phone.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure about that? I keep getting told by everyone that people buy the brand, not the OS. For example, people buy Apple, not iOS; people buy Samsung, not Android; people buy Nokia, not Windows Phone.

For the most part this adage is true. The exception of it seems to occur when someone starts eyeing a WP device in a carrier retail location and their techy friend they brought with them, or the Rep trying to land a sale, says "oh you don't want that; it doesn't have any apps." :/

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
For the most part this adage is true. The exception of it seems to occur when someone starts eyeing a WP device in a carrier retail location and their techy friend they brought with them, or the Rep trying to land a sale, says "oh you don't want that; it doesn't have any apps." :/

well, yeah, obviously in places like America, where carriers have a lot of control. But I mean in places like India (I used Prestigio as an example) where reps don't have as much say and people are less concerned whether an app store has Candy Crush or not. I'm not expecting Samsung to do it, but companies like Xolo or Micromax could be very interested.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
With only announcing two phones that will be made in house (once the microsoft purchase of nokia is finalized) kind of scares me. I would love to have them announce a Samsung, HTC, LG device. They had much more launch partners on Windows Phone 7 then they do with Windows Phone 8.1. I am not sure where this platform is going. :(

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
With only announcing two phones that will be made in house (once the microsoft purchase of nokia is finalized) kind of scares me. I would love to have them announce a Samsung, HTC, LG device. They had much more launch partners on Windows Phone 7 then they do with Windows Phone 8.1. I am not sure where this platform is going. :(

Not really. They have More launch partners for WP8.1. 13 partners

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, since the OEMs are going to save ?$30/device by not having to pay out for patent fees, offer, say, an extra $10 bonus/device that gets sold running WP. That's cash the OEMs don't have to spend anymore. Plus they have an extra $10/device for advertising to boost recognition and sales, plus an extra $10/device for R&D to secure their own futures. Money talks and the BS walks. Problem solved.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
well, yeah, obviously in places like America, where carriers have a lot of control. But I mean in places like India (I used Prestigio as an example) where reps don't have as much say and people are less concerned whether an app store has Candy Crush or not. I'm not expecting Samsung to do it, but companies like Xolo or Micromax could be very interested.

I agree with you completely here. I honestly think we could see what the OP theorizes when the native 8.1 and up devices start to drop. The only things really keeping WP down are the public awareness that it exists, and the app gap. Note that by app gap I'm not referring as much to the store app count, or the lack of official apps, so much as the feature gap in many of the apps already out there. The WP versions don't get the update support that the Android and iOS versions do.

If the OEMs realize, like the OP suggests, that there is potential for higher margins with WP, then it makes sense for them to not only make but ADVERTISE their WP devices. This increases public awareness and manages to sway the less tech knowledgeable, particularly towards the lower tier devices, which can now undercut the Android competition on price. Now you have a growing user base, which will garner developer attention, leading to more apps and more frequent app updates, which will get the attention of the tech savvy, and it becomes a continual cycle of growth for the platform. I don't think WP will be the top OS by Q4 2015 as IDC predicted a couple years ago, but there's no reason we can't be healthily into double digit global market share by then.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree with u in place like India.it is the small brands which have pushed android in the hands of Customers. Being smooth os wp will be selling like hot cakes once we get market share then wp8.1 will rock.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

jongthechemist

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It has become cheaper to make Windows Phone hardwares but the general reception of the OS is still far from great. It will be better if Microsoft continues to innovate beyond what Android and iOS has offered/are going to offer. I want to see Lenovo vs Sony WP battle.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft has taken steps to make Windows Phone easier to build for the OEM. Eliminating some of the hardware demands, removing the license fee. I think it might make it more likely that HTC or Samsung would release more phones running Windows Phone.

But, I don't think that Windows Phone will get the blessing over Android anytime soon, however. Part of the profit comes from the crap that these companies put on their own Android devices. Windows Phone still doesn't allow much customization that the OEMs want to do to differentiate their phone from their competitors' phones.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Are OEMs going to start pushing Windows Phone over Android now?

Not yet. That`s mainly because Android despite it`s crowded waters is the bread and butter of OEM`s like Samsung and HTC. It would be nice if HTTC made a Windows Phone but, they are trying to focus on doing it right with android first. They were the first android manufacturer ever, and they want to continue to make android devices. With Samsung they, like everyone else know, are the biggest phone manufacturer and make the best selling devices outside of the iPhone. They will never make something else a priority over android because they make billions from it each year. If anything, you should be asking is Microsoft going to put more pressure on devs to make apps that are in high quality (up to date and constantly updated) as other OSs and make sure the newer apps and games come to the platform as well. That way you can say with certainty to an uncertain Wp buyer "Yes, this doe shave all the apps and games you and your friends use". Another thing isthey have to try to woo developers for more niche apps. Like Dish Network, Credit Unions and banks, etc.

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Not yet. That`s mainly because Android despite it`s crowded waters is the bread and butter of OEM`s like Samsung and HTC. It would be nice if HTTC made a Windows Phone but, they are trying to focus on doing it right with android first. They were the first android manufacturer ever, and they want to continue to make android devices. With Samsung they, like everyone else know, are the biggest phone manufacturer and make the best selling devices outside of the iPhone. They will never make something else a priority over android because they make billions from it each year. If anything, you should be asking is Microsoft going to put more pressure on devs to make apps that are in high quality (up to date and constantly updated) as other OSs and make sure the newer apps and games come to the platform as well. That way you can say with certainty to an uncertain Wp buyer "Yes, this doe shave all the apps and games you and your friends use". Another thing isthey have to try to woo developers for more niche apps. Like Dish Network, Credit Unions and banks, etc.

^this...but i guess WP sure to get push from low-mid tier manufacturers,considering they have to pay MS for each android handset made argument

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It could definitely be a factor for OEMs to push Windows Phone, but I think at the end of the day, it will be about how many phones they think they can sell. Sure, Android might cost them but chances are they will probably sell more Android phones since they are more popular. Then again, Windows Phone is the fastest growing platform in the world (if I remember correctly). It could go either way. Depends on the manufacturer as well. I would imagine a smaller manufacturer who doesn't have as much recognition and doesn't sell as many phones would want to lean towards Windows Phone for the costs, but giants like Samsung might want to stick with Android as their main platform.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss