Goodbye Windows XP

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You can say what you like, but the media center addition was the most useful os there has been. I am keeping one computer with xp on it to run several programs that will not run on 8.1. A ton of people are going to miss xp. Class act.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

Windows Xp is great if your computer is 7 years old and you don't want optimized support for multicore processors, large RAM and new architecture. It had it's heyday.

W8 is great and with the latest update it's heading in a great direction.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Have some older shop diagnostic interfaces that require XP (Chrysler DRB, GM TechII - mainly physical serial port; virtual USB serial is sketchy). Keep a couple of old notebooks around for that purpose.

I'm more concerned about Java 6 dependencies and a real lack of support for IE10/11.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
XPee and it's versions caused me everything from root anger to feeling like I was reclining upon the mount surrounded by angels feeding me grapes.

Farewell old friend

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
XP was a great OS for it's time. That time was the early 2000s. By the time Windows 7 launched, XP was already very long in the tooth.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
XP users: Would you consider a Chrome book instead?

No. Why buy Chromebook when the old hardware running XP is capable of running Linux? I have an ancient PC from 2005 that's been running Linux since 2008. It originally came with XP.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just bought myself a new computer yesterday. I drove all the way down to the Microsoft Store...aaaannndddd realized I forgot the XP computer to trade in when I was almost there. I was so p!ssed off :straight: lol. Luckily though, the guy was nice enough to try to give me $100 anyway, but it couldn't be combined with my student discount.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett