is the erasing of the WP fee already having an impact?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I swear ever since Microsoft got rid of the licensing fee for WP. We have seen an explosion of OEMs wanting to join WP.
ucall-redmond-5_thumb.jpg French OEM Ucall Redmond 5
neo-m1-wp8.jpg NEO M1 (Windows Phone version)

Leaks
Samsung Ativ Core
Samsung SM-W350F.

Sony making two new devices with new WP8.1 GDR update for July

WP8 OEMs
  • Nokia
  • Samsung
  • Huawei
  • HTC

Current WP8.1 OEMs
  • Gionee,
  • HTC,
  • Huawei,
  • JSR,
  • Karbonn,
  • LG,
  • Lenovo,
  • Longcheer,
  • Micromax,
  • Nokia,
  • Samsung,
  • Xolo,
  • ZTE
  • Prestigio.

Do you think we'll see more OEMs coming to WP?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
As long as there good products. Keep in mind that even with windows, yes there in far more homes, but depending on how much you spend or what OEM you buy it could be garbage. Thats a problem with being easier to license.

people can flame me if they want, but that's a reason I believe PCs aren't as stable as Macs. Because with windows,anyone can make any piece of junk device they want with the software. You have to actualy spend some money on quality for a good PC experience.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
As long as there good products. Keep in mind that even with windows, yes there in far more homes, but depending on how much you spend or what OEM you buy it could be garbage. Thats a problem with being easier to license.

people can flame me if they want, but that's a reason I believe PCs aren't as stable as Macs. Because with windows,anyone can make any piece of junk device they want with the software. You have to actualy spend some money on quality for a good PC experience.

That's true, but you can also build your own for alot cheaper. Problem is most people don't know how to build a computer. I'm talking non tech company employees.

Schools should have a shop, woodwork, and a computer building class as mandatory classes. Do they have that already? I mean all three in all 4 years of high school?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
That's true, but you can also build your own for alot cheaper. Problem is most people don't know how to build a computer. I'm talking non tech company employees.

Schools should have a shop, woodwork, and a computer building class as mandatory classes. Do they have that already? I mean all three in all 4 years of high school?

nit that I'm aware of. They don't even have that in college far as I can tell. I know I don't know how to build a computer :/

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Raised: From reception (consider it Year 0 on the scale of educational years here in the UK), through until Y13. 14 years of woodwork and computer building classes. Mandatory, or face 1680 hours (10 weeks SOLID) in detention. Where you will be forced to do woodwork and computer building.

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I wish we could get great hardwares with Samsung... those cheap S4 ripoffs are not making it for me .... lol... I'd love a Sony phone with WP8, is it even 10000% that they'll release one tho?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm optimistic, but I have a feeling that since Windows Phone is now cheaper than Android, we'll see a huge push for Windows Phone so the OEMs don't have to pay patent feed to Microsoft.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
is the erasing of the WP fee already having an impact?

The announcement most definitely had and impact.

Guessing however I'm sure a number of underdog makers will be jumping on this.
Who knows we might see the WalMart branded Windows Phone (kidding)

Actual implementing will need to be handtrucked through each of the device\mainboard companies legal oversight departments.
MS is giving licenses while still owning.

Wonder what appL thinks all about this?

Last edited:

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
The announcement most definitely had and impact.

Guessing however I'm sure a number of underdog makers will jumped on this.
Who knows we might see the WalMart branded Windows Phone (kidding)

Actual implementing will need to be handtrucked through each of the device\mainboard companies legal oversight departments.
MS is giving licenses while still owning.

Wonder what appL thinks all about this?

​They won't bat an eye on it

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Iphone will someday have the market share Macs currently do. They will ultimately be a niche player

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

As technology progresses, it's going to be harder for hobbyists to build their own PCs. Especially with inexpensive desktop PCs, it hasn't been possible to builld your own since the early 2000s. Newer PCs will be more and more integrated. The CPU will be soldered onto the mainboard, the RAM will be soldered in place. Most users' video cards are now integrated into the CPU die, and almost all other peripheral chips have been part of the motherboard for a decade now.

I would support education that teaches people more about PC architecture and technology, but hands-on PC assembly is becoming a lost cause, I'm afraid.

OP, I'd say that removing the license fee as well as relaxing the hardware requirements of Windows Phone has removed any real barriers that could keep a smaller OEM phone manufacturer from seriously looking at WP.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

There really isn't much correlation between a PC's price and it's stability. You've probably been brainwashed by Apple.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'd argue that while this has indeed have an impact, I'd say that a lot of these OEMs (the low-cost Indian ones, at least) wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for Nokia proving a point with their low-cost handsets.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There really isn't much correlation between a PC's price and it's stability. You've probably been brainwashed by Apple.
I agree. The stability of a PC is more reliant on its OS (Win8 >= Win7 > WinXP, for instance), and how smart its users are. I've seen hardware failures, but it simply boils down to the latter.

Mac OS is one of the more stable OSes out there, though. That's possibly one reason behind his thinking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos