Why does Microsoft suck at marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded the emulator to play around with WP8.1 and I noticed that the maps app had a huge update! Two finger rotation, 3D, elevation, etc... That's huge. It's like when Apple announced Apple Maps and made such a huge deal about it. Microsoft didn't even mention that they changed the maps, and I haven't seen a single bit of news about it. Same goes from the transitions, they are definitely faster than before, and if this was an Apple keynote, they would be talking about all the milliseconds saved by speeding up the transitions. There are lots of other things that other companies would make such huge deals about, but with WP all they're marketing is the backgrounds, cortana, and action center. Come on!!

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree. But there is hope in the future, as Cortana is taking center stage in many shows, news channels etc, Windows phone as a whole is getting a much wider push. And considering how huge Microsoft's enterprise services are compared to their own Xbox, Windows division (In terms of profit) and Windows phone division comes in last, so its kind of acceptable that they don't push Windows phone marketing as much as others. But with Cortana's popularity rises along with 8.1's features, they may start pushing Windows Phone more and more in the future.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is not Scamsung easily put. They aren't going to brag about little things. I know you think its huge but it really isn't

Did you hear about Samsung's S5 Ultra Power Saver Mode?

Do you think that is big? because I think it is a big scam.

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
"Why does Microsoft suck at marketing?" I have wondered this myself for a long time. A company with good compelling products that is not good at marketing. Perhaps because until a few years ago, they didn't have to be. Their products were just a default choice without even thinking about it.

To be fair, though, any Microsoft ad is lambasted mercilessly (like the surface ad with the people dancing around with keyboards). Apple puts out some ridiculous stupid ads that really don't have much to do with their products and they are praised for their artisticness.

But, I kind of think that the overall brand image change will be like moving a mountain. Microsoft democratized the computer, while Apple played on the elitist idea. Because of this democratization in supporting any hardware and software by anyone for anyone, Microsoft went through a lot of pains with compatibility issues and security issues that Apple never had to experience (as they never had much market share). This probably left a long-lasting brand image problem for Microsoft as their customer experienced all of this without thinking about how much they were really getting and how big a task Microsoft was undertaking with Windows. I appreciate Window's decades of battle-hardening; Windows work amazingly well when viewed in this context. The Mac OS has got to sit in its little sandbox without going through all of this, protected by obscurity and all of its restrictions, and I don't really see it as being nearly as robust as Windows. Not sure how to market all of this. Just reflecting on being a PC user for the past 20 years.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My guess is, they don't market like the power companies, water companies etc. don't market. They don't have to. Microsoft is everywhere and are almost a given in technology. Companies whose revenues are dependent on competing with Microsoft have to market things like Maps, office packages and such or the default goes to Microsoft. But post google, I do agree that Microsoft should boast more. With this new leadership at Redmond, perhaps we'll see that.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
"Why does Microsoft suck at marketing?" I have wondered this myself for a long time. A company with good compelling products that is not good at marketing. Perhaps because until a few years ago, they didn't have to be. Their products were just a default choice without even thinking about it.

To be fair, though, any Microsoft ad is lambasted mercilessly (like the surface ad with the people dancing around with keyboards). Apple puts out some ridiculous stupid ads that really don't have much to do with their products and they are praised for their artisticness.

But, I kind of think that the overall brand image change will be like moving a mountain. Microsoft democratized the computer, while Apple played on the elitist idea. Because of this democratization in supporting any hardware and software by anyone for anyone, Microsoft went through a lot of pains with compatibility issues and security issues that Apple never had to experience (as they never had much market share). This probably left a long-lasting brand image problem for Microsoft as their customer experienced all of this without thinking about how much they were really getting and how big a task Microsoft was undertaking with Windows. I appreciate Window's decades of battle-hardening; Windows work amazingly well when viewed in this context. The Mac OS has got to sit in its little sandbox without going through all of this, protected by obscurity and all of its restrictions, and I don't really see it as being nearly as robust as Windows. Not sure how to market all of this. Just reflecting on being a PC user for the past 20 years.

Great breakdown. A lot of people tend to no look into things like this.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Apple puts out some ridiculous stupid ads that really don't have much to do with their products and they are praised for their artisticness.

The Apple ads are rarely ridiculous and are widely praised for their artistic values. They know how to manipulate people's emotions.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My guess is, they don't market like the power companies, water companies etc. don't market. They don't have to. Microsoft is everywhere and are almost a given in technology. Companies whose revenues are dependent on competing with Microsoft have to market things like Maps, office packages and such or the default goes to Microsoft. But post google, I do agree that Microsoft should boast more. With this new leadership at Redmond, perhaps we'll see that.

Microsoft spent $2 billion marketing Windows 8. To no avail.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
MS sucks at marketing for the same reason GM, Pizza Hut, other well established world companies suck at marketing; their upper-level management is deluded about people's perception of their products. MS should never have used the term "Windows" in naming their new smart-phone.

After all, who wouldn't want all of the cache of Windows ME or Vista associated with their hot new phone?

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
MS sucks at marketing for the same reason GM, Pizza Hut, other well established world companies suck at marketing; their upper-level management is deluded about people's perception of their products. MS should never have used the term "Windows" in naming their new smart-phone.

After all, who wouldn't want all of the cache of Windows ME or Vista associated with their hot new phone?

I agree that they should have found a name that doesn't include Windows in it. MS and especially Windows has a stigma about it. Like its for old people or people who aren't cool. Somehow Apple and Google have managed to be the cool, creative companies while MS is considered lame. I don't agree with it, but that is the perception.

I think that would have helped a lot. It also would have helped if they had released Windows Phone 8 from the start and never released 7 the way it was. They limped out of the gate.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
It isn't all that bad, but you have to realize that MSFT is an OEM dependant company and don't have to market individual products as much as apple would for example.

There is an amazing commercial made my Lenovo and there new laptop with windows 8 on it, looks great and might sell well too.

Also people with some intelligence search and watch reviews before buying, just like I did when I bought a new phone.
I looked at iPhone, HTC one and the then newly released Lumia 920.

After alot of reviews I decided to choose WP although my surroundings (and reviewers) where skeptical about it.
And here I am, still using wp8

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
As far as being cool, I think part of it was the personality of the leadership at the top. Look at Steve Jobs; Maverick, hip, tennis shoe, T-shirt wearing, charismatic LEADER. Look at Bill Gates; Nerd.

I think people identify with a product that someone like Steve Jobs believed in and used. He was an evangelist. Bill Gates, he is a nerd.

I think that kind of mindset is what the public has settled in to. They associate a personality with a product and go with the personality they favor. (Why you have spokespeople)

*Can't explain Google other than "the other white meat"... ;-)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
As far as being cool, I think part of it was the personality of the leadership at the top. Look at Steve Jobs; Maverick, hip, tennis shoe, T-shirt wearing, charismatic LEADER. Look at Bill Gates; Nerd.

I think people identify with a product that someone like Steve Jobs believed in and used. He was an evangelist. Bill Gates, he is a nerd.

I think that kind of mindset is what the public has settled in to. They associate a personality with a product and go with the personality they favor. (Why you have spokespeople)

*Can't explain Google other than "the other white meat"... ;-)

Mmmm... somewhat true.

Many folks probably don't even think much about Gates anymore.
Microsoft is a different company these days.
I base this on the faces of the people who guide the operations of the different elements within.

For me I seldom visualize Mr. Gates when I see the MICROSOFT moniker any more.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It really is odd, they used to do great marketing for the 360. I would say some of the best marketing we've seen surrounding a game console. However now, it's like they don't have a clue. I guess the one xbox One commercial was pretty good, but nothing they do seems to generate the same kind of buzz that I saw before.

Part of it, IMO, is they don't understand their audience. While watching hulu plus, I see a ton of ads for Google play, highlighting the features and movie all in the same commercial. What do I see from MS on Hulu? An Azure ad and how it helps F1 cars win races. The people who watch Hulu aren't necessarily the type of people who are going to invest into their cloud computing platform. You may get some awareness for business use, but they really should be spamming WP and Surface ads during these types of programs.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded the emulator to play around with WP8.1 and I noticed that the maps app had a huge update! Two finger rotation, 3D, elevation, etc... That's huge. It's like when Apple announced Apple Maps and made such a huge deal about it. Microsoft didn't even mention that they changed the maps, and I haven't seen a single bit of news about it. Same goes from the transitions, they are definitely faster than before, and if this was an Apple keynote, they would be talking about all the milliseconds saved by speeding up the transitions. There are lots of other things that other companies would make such huge deals about, but with WP all they're marketing is the backgrounds, cortana, and action center. Come on!!

Hey! Isn't this thread almost the exact same thing as this (http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...o-you-think-about-microsofts-advertising.html) thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99