Why I can't switch from Gmail to Outlook.com

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I hope you're not referring to the respective web interfaces. Gmail's web interface has been in my experience the most confusing thing for my employees to grasp. So much so, we ponied up for eMclient to run as a front end to it.

Everyone can't wait until our GApps contract ages out this fall and we switch to O365/Exchange Online

I agree with you. It might be confusing for some. I'm certainly used it and can find and navigate my way around it very efficiently.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps you missed my comment, but why won't categories work for you?

Maybe OP just doesn't want to admit that they might? ;) haha. But OP is definitely entitled to his opinion and his personal preference, even though I am honestly not entirely sure what he is talking about exactly...

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps you missed my comment, but why won't categories work for you?

question for you. I'm using categories very successfully on my suface email app. But on WP8, they don't seem to show up anywhere. I receive a lot of newsletters and categories worked great to remove them out of my way in the metro mail app... But they were still showing up in my phone making them useless.

I had to create painful sweep rules to move them to a folder I created to stop them from hitting the main view of my phone email.

Any hints on that?

Thanks in advance.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused. I went to Outlook.com and tested an email. The first press of "archive" asked me what "folder", but all subsequent emails went straight to archive. What am I missing?

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
question for you. I'm using categories very successfully on my suface email app. But on WP8, they don't seem to show up anywhere. I receive a lot of newsletters and categories worked great to remove them out of my way in the metro mail app... But they were still showing up in my phone making them useless.

I had to create painful sweep rules to move them to a folder I created to stop them from hitting the main view of my phone email.

Any hints on that?

Thanks in advance.

I definitely prefer outlook.com to gmail.com, but I just checked my WP8 and as far as I can tell categories do not show up anywhere. I am not sure exactly what you mean as far as using categories to remove newsletter emails out of your way, categories are used to highlight or find emails not to hide them except by using them with a sweep scheduled.

A folder and sweep is your best option to keep newsletters out of you main inbox, as you already have done. It shouldn't be that painful, just one rule I expect (sweep all emails in the category "newsletters" to folder X immediately).

Sorry I couldn't give you any better advice.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I definitely prefer outlook.com to gmail.com, but I just checked my WP8 and as far as I can tell categories do not show up anywhere. I am not sure exactly what you mean as far as using categories to remove newsletter emails out of your way, categories are used to highlight or find emails not to hide them except by using them with a sweep scheduled.

A folder and sweep is your best option to keep newsletters out of you main inbox, as you already have done. It shouldn't be that painful, just one rule I expect (sweep all emails in the category "newsletters" to folder X immediately).

Sorry I couldn't give you any better advice.

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time. Categories have even a much better use when used in the Metro Mail application with Windows 8.1. It actually works very nicely and by doing the same thing that you would do with Sweep/Folder but automatically. The categories will show on the left hand side as they would in Outlook.com.

To me, WP8 mail application is lacking a lot because it doesn't show these categories (unlike tags in Gmail/Android). Folders are not easily accessible because you would have to add them individually and sync them individually and go to settings to access them. I'm hoping that in WP 8.1 or soon after, the Mail app of metro will be used in WP. It would be a great improvement.

Thanks again.

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I moved a week ago from Gmail to Outlook.com. Just couldn't be happier!
When I flag an emailt, it will be visible and there to wait for me to follow-up. I get emails on my Windows Phone as soon as they arrive instead of possibly 15 minutes later. The interface is neat and clear. Folders are a great way to get some non important emails out of the way. Integration with Office (free) is amazing! I also noticed Outlook is faster than Gmail on my browser (Firefox and IE).

Free from Google, yeah!

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
One huge advantage for me, of folders in Outlook, is that you can direct a specific email account to a folder. Then, you can pin that folder to the start screen so you can monitor that account, separate from your Outlook account.

You can really do that?

By pin you mean on the W8.1 start screen?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
So, is it just me or did he come here just to start an argument? People are trying to come up with ways to help him, and he just keeps touting how great Google is and how horrible Outlook is.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You can really do that?

By pin you mean on the W8.1 start screen?

Yes you can. I use it a lot :)

So, is it just me or did he come here just to start an argument? People are trying to come up with ways to help him, and he just keeps touting how great Google is and how horrible Outlook is.

I don't understand why this is even a thread. Gmail offers a great email experience but so does outlook.com, I personally prefer outlook over gmail. The sweep function is great and I like folders :)

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can. I use it a lot :)

I don't understand why this is even a thread. Gmail offers a great email experience but so does outlook.com, I personally prefer outlook over gmail. The sweep function is great and I like folders :)

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Agreed, it's all preference. I would see this being a good thread if he was willing to actually look at what people say. Instead, he comes across as a person who just wants to rile up WP users.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Except my workflow on Gmail is even simpler. For those email that don't already have auto-labeling and archiving, I attach a label(s) and hit the Archive button. Why bother dragging it over onto a folder and possibly making a mistake? Think outside the box. Even better try GMail for a while and see what I mean.

Think outside the box is a very overused statement that isn't always applied correctly. I think this one of those times. In what way is using archives instead of folders "thinking outside the box"? With outlook you can right click and select Archive. It will let you select a folder to archive to. No dragging or mistake making to worry about.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft refuses to admit that Google's implementation is better, so they persist in this folders nonsense.

I have used both gmail and outlook and can't tell the difference between labels and folders. It's exactly the same thing. And in outlook you also have 'categories' which are again the same thing as labels. Who cares how they're called or what you use. I find gmail interface great, and I find outlook interface great as well, both have their ups and downs, use whichever one you prefer and stop whining about it on the internet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb