Fresh Dose of Optimism in Microsoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
While there's no doubt that Microsoft has some concerns and challenges it needs to deal with (e.g. the need to really focus in on markets such as India), the past few weeks gave off some positive vibes from the company.

For one thing, Windows and Windows Phone are truly on the same page. In 2012 the two couldn't be further apart. Yes, the two platforms shared the same base kernel, but they were quite different and the lack of cooperation between the Windows and Windows Phone team didn't help bridge the situation. You could really tell that the two suffered from different visions about how they wanted users to interact with Microsoft devices and services, and things really weren't looking better.

This time around though (thanks to the re-org), we're on the path of seeing alignment. If you look closely you'll find that the phone and tablet experiences have been merged into a singular 'mobile' solution. The goal it seems is to make the groundwork for phone and tablet essentially the same, but allow for device and formfactor-specific considerations. In tandem, there is the desktop for intensive productivity, and not only will it retain its classic elements (or regain them), but those elements will be strengthened, e.g. the injection of new Store apps via windowing support, live tiles in the Start Menu, back-end Bing and Skype integration, etc.

With this approach Microsoft has not only put its foot into the present "post-PC" world, but it has effectively built a "PC-plus" solution by integrating suitable elements of their mobile solutions into the desktop. Brilliant. As people hopefully begin using the Store apps on the desktop, not only will they be more enticed to consider a Windows Phone and/or Tablet, but they'll also benefit from having their data both stored *and* presented in the best manner possible across devices.

Let me be honest. In 2012 I could not have expected Microsoft to even work towards this idea, let alone be on the verge of actually achieving it, which is the case given that updates such as Universal Apps are now real and can only improve/grow, and that the new Start Menu looks like it has a shot at being a pre-Threshold update.

Execution is going to be key, but if Windows 9 decisively succeeds in (1) getting desktop Windows users from Window 7 and 8.x to upgrade and (2) use the Store apps, then Microsoft would be en-route to carving out a healthy piece for itself in the phone and tablet market. There will be many users who will seek to extend their Store apps to other devices and form-factors.

Now combine that with Microsoft's renewed focus on dominating in the area of fundamentals, i.e. programming languages and development tools. If Microsoft can succeed to get a lot of iOS and Android developers to use C# and Visual Studio, it will once again have lots of people following its work on development. In other words, once again many if not most developers would follow the growth and development of Microsoft languages and tools, and in their eyes, not only would Microsoft's work position them better in the iOS and Android realms, but it will also give them an edge by opening up the third reservoir (Windows), a reservoir that most of their competitors don't have access to. It's like geo-politics, while many states might have access to oil and gas, very few can depend on space (Windows).

In my opinion, if Microsoft really wants to nail it, it should come up with a competitor platform to Android Wear. Not only should it be compatible with Windows, Windows Phone and Xbox, but it should also allow developers to hook into Android and iOS. This could be Microsoft's differentiating spin, i.e. that it's wearable technology is both powerful and truly open. In fact, Microsoft could go a few steps further and perhaps also offer the idea of a standalone smartwatch, one that depends on Azure to manage and present one's information (SPOT Mk2).

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I accidentally sent my Iphone to the washing machine in early Feb. I love my decision to migrate from Ipad and Iphone to Lumia 1020 and Surface Pro 2. It plays nicely with my work ecosystem, and allows me to be more effective managing my bakery's social media. I think I picked a great time to make this move, and I'm really looking forward to WP8.1.

That said, the reality is that Microsoft really needs to triple their WP market share to have a viable future. You will know they are on the right track when you see their market share going up and a corresponding decrease in Iphone or Android market share. I think they are working on a "build it and they will come" strategy, or perhaps more aptly, "buy Nokia and they will come."

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
One major upgrade per year and 2 minor upgrades seem to be the right approach along with a unified vision across platforms.

I'm loving my Surface and ny WP8 phone. I just feel not many people around know how good these products are.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
One major upgrade per year and 2 minor upgrades seem to be the right approach along with a unified vision across platforms.

I'm loving my Surface and ny WP8 phone. I just feel not many people around know how good these products are.

What are the thing that surface offers you that you like so much over something like, say, a iPad?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Just read this article about the direction Satya Nadella is taking Microsoft; New CEO Nadella pushes data culture at Microsoft
The phrase he uses is "Mobile first, cloud first", I see this as meaning great things in store for Windows Phone.

Rather a bizarre article. I don't know if you've read it, but it's mostly about 'data'. It's very vague about what this data is. Just two examples are given. One is analysing customers' web history. Good luck with that. The other is analysing usage data, presumably about how MS products are used. This is not new - Microsoft have used 'telemetrics' for years and they are widely blamed for their slow progress in many markets.

So these new ideas are spying on customers and continuing a failed programme. This guy might be worse than sad Steve!

Ahmad Barakji

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I like what MS is doing with WP so far. I just wish they adopted existing features and technologies used in the "mature" OSs quicker.
The Action Center, VPN, volume controls and voice assistant took too long to come to WP.
All the reviews on WP8.1 feel that "now is the time to buy a WP" because these features are considered basic needs nowadays.
Also one word for marketing... Mediocre.

I do like Windows 8.1 though, I like it very much. No complaints as Windows is still my favorite PC OS.

berryaddictnoza

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Rather a bizarre article. I don't know if you've read it, but it's mostly about 'data'. It's very vague about what this data is. Just two examples are given. One is analysing customers' web history. Good luck with that. The other is analysing usage data, presumably about how MS products are used. This is not new - Microsoft have used 'telemetrics' for years and they are widely blamed for their slow progress in many markets.

So these new ideas are spying on customers and continuing a failed programme. This guy might be worse than sad Steve!

I took the article to mean that he wants to focus on handling, storing, accessing, and using data not just on our PC's, but also with mobile platforms and cloud systems. For businesses, basically it's all about data, whether it's getting product info, billing, getting info out to the workforce, ect, it's all about data.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I took the article to mean that he wants to focus on handling, storing, accessing, and using data not just on our PC's, but also with mobile platforms and cloud systems. For businesses, basically it's all about data, whether it's getting product info, billing, getting info out to the workforce, ect, it's all about data.

Perhaps it does mean providing data services to businesses, although that's not what the article says. Fair enough, but that's a crowded space with some very strong players already deeply integrated into businesses. Do Microsoft have anything new to bring to the table?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps it does mean providing data services to businesses, although that's not what the article says. Fair enough, but that's a crowded space with some very strong players already deeply integrated into businesses. Do Microsoft have anything new to bring to the table?
I think the competition is better for enterprise customers. The more competition there is, the more all the players need to do to attract more customers. This should bring new and better features and better pricing by all players.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the competition is better for enterprise customers. The more competition there is, the more all the players need to do to attract more customers. This should bring new and better features and better pricing by all players.

Well, competition can be good for customers. But don't underestimate how hard it would be for Microsoft to get into this business, given that they are several decades late. These business computing systems are critical to company operations. If they fail, the company may simply run out of money, so IT directors tend to be very conservative about them. Microsoft would have to very substantially undercut the competition, and find enough experience to provide enough support that companies are prepared to take the risk to change.

To be honest, if I look at my company I'm not sure we would swap from our current provider to someone else, even if their product and support were free. It's just too risky. The only way to change would be gradual evolution from one to the other, probably over many years.

Anyway, we are speculating. This wasn't what the posted article actually said.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, competition can be good for customers. But don't underestimate how hard it would be for Microsoft to get into this business, given that they are several decades late. These business computing systems are critical to company operations. If they fail, the company may simply run out of money, so IT directors tend to be very conservative about them. Microsoft would have to very substantially undercut the competition, and find enough experience to provide enough support that companies are prepared to take the risk to change.

To be honest, if I look at my company I'm not sure we would swap from our current provider to someone else, even if their product and support were free. It's just too risky. The only way to change would be gradual evolution from one to the other, probably over many years.

Anyway, we are speculating. This wasn't what the posted article actually said.

Huh? What sort of cloud computing even existed 20+ years ago?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I really wonder what Nadella means by "data culture". It sounds like a buzz word thrown out there for gin up the stock price. No substance for business users and no use to consumers at all. Consumers are already getting into another "data culture" revolving around things like Nike+ Fuelband on iOS. That's what's relevant to consumers, not SQL Servers. Where is the rumored MS smart watch?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What are the thing that surface offers you that you like so much over something like, say, a iPad?

Depends on which Surface you're talking about.

Surface on Windows RT offers a better keyboard experience with the magnetically attachable keyboard and kickstand compared to a case/BT keyboard for iPad. It also has Office applications that can be interacted with via mouse. Surface has a USB port so you can attach a wider variety of peripherals compared to the iPad.

Other than that, the iPad is the superior tablet in every facet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte