Help Me Move To Windows Phone

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
After careful consideration I am seriously thinking of moving to Windows Phone. The Windows Phone 8.1 update sealed a lot of problems I had but I am still a bit weary and was wondering if you guys can help put my mind at ease.

I took a look at the Windows Phone Store and few of my apps I use are missing so I was wondering if there is some suggestions for alternatives:

1.) Pocket - I noticed their is an app called Poki, is that the best Pocket client or is there better?

2.)CloudMagic - Does the email app built in provide a single view for all email addresses? I use an .edu through exchange, an outlook, and a gmail account, so will there be a combined view for all of them or is there an app for that?

3.)Feedly - Any suggestions for Feedly?

4.)Google Keep - Is there an app that is cross platform that I can use on android now? Or do I have to move my notes over and be forced to use OneNote?

5.)HP ePrint - Is there an app that I can print to my HP wireless printer?

6.)Battery Defender - What is the best comparable app to extend battery life? Or is the Battery Sense app good enough? Is there any apps for data toggle?

7.) Google Maps - I now my way pretty well around Atlanta, but for the times I need to navigate is Bing Maps good enough or is Here Maps better? Is Here Maos available on non Nokia devices?

8.)Mobile Nations Forums - Tapatalk is on WP correct? Or is there a better app to visit forums?

Finally, what phone should I get? The Lumia Icon or the ATIV SE? I feel the ATIV would be better because it has a microsd card to take advantage of app to sd functions and I have microsd card already in my Razr M. But what do guys think? Any help is really appreciated.

1. Poki is a beautiful app in my opinion. Some would argue it's even better than the first-party Pocket app in a lot of ways. Definitely the best option for a Pocket app.

2. Yes. If you choose to sync all your email address, you can go to Email > Linked Inboxes and link them all into one universal email view. I have this setup for my Personal Hotmail, Gmail and Work Email and it works like a charm.

3. Phonly/Nextgen Reader are both great alternatives for Feedly. Daniel Rubino swears by Phonly I believe, so either one will provide a good experience.

4. OneNote - enough said. My favourite note app of all time.

5. Sort of. There is no official HP printing app (Only Brother) but two solutions to try:

Print Now - Print Now | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Kumoprint - KumoPrint | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

6. Battery Sense for WP 8.1 is great. you can control usage and background tasks fairly easily. If you're looking for advanced battery management and statistics, you can't go past Insider Pro: Insider Pro | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Just check the reviews for that app - it's an all in one app that does a lot of things, with battery being a big part of it. check that one out for sure.

7. Here Drive and Here Maps are the perfect maps solution. If you are worried about offline maps, Here's got you covered too. You can download your maps offline to save data usage and battery life and update whenever you want.

8. Yes. Tapatalk official app. and of course, for Windows Phone Central Forums, download the official app :p

Phone recommendation? The Lumia Icon, hands down. Nokia is largely supported on WP, and is the leader of WP OS in handset manufacturing. There are a lot of exclusives to Lumia handsets that you won't see on a Samsung WP - although this might change in WP 8.1.

Hope this helps you and good luck in moving to the platform :)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
1. Poki is a beautiful app in my opinion. Some would argue it's even better than the first-party Pocket app in a lot of ways. Definitely the best option for a Pocket app.

2. Yes. If you choose to sync all your email address, you can go to Email > Linked Inboxes and link them all into one universal email view. I have this setup for my Personal Hotmail, Gmail and Work Email and it works like a charm.

3. Phonly/Nextgen Reader are both great alternatives for Feedly. Daniel Rubino swears by Phonly I believe, so either one will provide a good experience.

4. OneNote - enough said. My favourite note app of all time.

5. Sort of. There is no official HP printing app (Only Brother) but two solutions to try:

Print Now - Print Now | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Kumoprint - KumoPrint | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

6. Battery Sense for WP 8.1 is great. you can control usage and background tasks fairly easily. If you're looking for advanced battery management and statistics, you can't go past Insider Pro: Insider Pro | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Just check the reviews for that app - it's an all in one app that does a lot of things, with battery being a big part of it. check that one out for sure.

7. Here Drive and Here Maps are the perfect maps solution. If you are worried about offline maps, Here's got you covered too. You can download your maps offline to save data usage and battery life and update whenever you want.

8. Yes. Tapatalk official app. and of course, for Windows Phone Central Forums, download the official app :p

Phone recommendation? The Lumia Icon, hands down. Nokia is largely supported on WP, and is the leader of WP OS in handset manufacturing. There are a lot of exclusives to Lumia handsets that you won't see on a Samsung WP - although this might change in WP 8.1.

Hope this helps you and good luck in moving to the platform :)

Thanks. I want to get a Lumia Icon but at the same time it is blocky, and I don't know if I can move with fixed memory if WP8.1 is adding extra functionality phones with a micro SD card. If only the 1520 was on Verizon that would be the best of all worlds.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I want to get a Lumia Icon but at the same time it is blocky, and I don't know if I can move with fixed memory if WP8.1 is adding extra functionality phones with a micro SD card. If only the 1520 was on Verizon that would be the best of all worlds.

Definitely. I have the 1520 and its awesome. Great balance of power, battery life, camera and the screen is gorgeous. If you cant get the 1520, how about a 930? They should be out in the next month or two! :)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Definitely. I have the 1520 and its awesome. Great balance of power, battery life, camera and the screen is gorgeous. If you cant get the 1520, how about a 930? They should be out in the next month or two! :

The 930 is the same as the Icon and I'm on Verizon.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I would go to the Verizon store and check out both. I doubt 930 will ever be on Verizon. That's the international version of the Icon.

That's what I meant. The Icon is the 930. I think I will get the Ativ SE though, because it's smaller and has a micro SD card.

furboll929

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how much printing you plan on doing, but even though there isn't an HP Eprint app for WPhone, I haven't needed it. I set up my printer with an Eprint email address and any documents I need to print I just email them to that address. And I have an older HP printer (3050). The only "issue" I had is printing photos as Onedrive compression doesn't allow them to print correctly with out messing the settings. But that hasn't been a big deal for me since I've printed maybe 2 photos in the last 3 years or so from my computer.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how much printing you plan on doing, but even though there isn't an HP Eprint app for WPhone, I haven't needed it. I set up my printer with an Eprint email address and any documents I need to print I just email them to that address. And I have an older HP printer (3050). The only "issue" I had is printing photos as Onedrive compression doesn't allow them to print correctly with out messing the settings. But that hasn't been a big deal for me since I've printed maybe 2 photos in the last 3 years or so from my computer.

I rarely print from my phone but I have done it maybe two or three times in the past few months. I was just asking, if I can't then I can't. It not something that was a priority like Navigation or my Notes app.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
id say wait for more lumias , theres gonna be a whole slew coming
if not id switch to a GSM network as more phones are compatible with GSM than with CDMA

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Aren't the specs similar? What's would cause a disparity in performance?

I know you are inclined towards the SE, but I am probably the opposite. In India I keep giving example of cars from Tata Motors to everyone. They are probably the best 'on paper'. They usually have the best specs, best features and space etc. However, they are generally less preferred by end users. The difference is truly to be felt during a test drive.
In my experience, I have had absolutely no issues with Nokia phones ever. On the contrary virtually every other phone has given me some or the other trouble. Sony and HTC are worst in my opinion and Samsung is much better than the rest. But Nokia and Apple are truly the best if you look at the complete package.
However, If I were in your position, I too would be concerned about lack of expandable memory on the icon. It is downer for sure, but for me that would not affect my buying decision. If anything, I would have switched the service provider to AT&T to get the 1520.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
If you are inclined towards the Ativ SE, then go for it. After all, it is from the largest smartphone manufacturer in the world. And, it also has everything you personally need - microSD support, removable battery, etc.

The Lumia Icon is an amazing Windows Phone. It also has tons of exclusive apps. But if you really need the essentials and the convenience that the SE offers, then stay away from the Icon.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If you are inclined towards the Ativ SE, then go for it. After all, it is from the largest smartphone manufacturer in the world. And, it also has everything you personally need - microSD support, removable battery, etc.

The Lumia Icon is an amazing Windows Phone. It also has tons of exclusive apps. But if you really need the essentials and the convenience that the SE offers, then stay away from the Icon.

The only exclusive apps I care about is HERE Maps and Drive and that's now available for everyone so I think I'll be good.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I know you are inclined towards the SE, but I am probably the opposite. In India I keep giving example of cars from Tata Motors to everyone. They are probably the best 'on paper'. They usually have the best specs, best features and space etc. However, they are generally less preferred by end users. The difference is truly to be felt during a test drive.
In my experience, I have had absolutely no issues with Nokia phones ever. On the contrary virtually every other phone has given me some or the other trouble. Sony and HTC are worst in my opinion and Samsung is much better than the rest. But Nokia and Apple are truly the best if you look at the complete package.
However, If I were in your position, I too would be concerned about lack of expandable memory on the icon. It is downer for sure, but for me that would not affect my buying decision. If anything, I would have switched the service provider to AT&T to get the 1520.

I ain't switching yet, I just renewed my contract in December with Verizon. The SE will be probably be my big purchase of the year (off contract).

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

+10000000

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
2.)CloudMagic - Does the email app built in provide a single view for all email addresses? I use an .edu through exchange, an outlook, and a gmail account, so will there be a combined view for all of them or is there an app for that?

Yes.

3.)Feedly - Any suggestions for Feedly?

Pheeb, Phonly, NextGen, etc: feedly. feed your mind.

4.)Google Keep - Is there an app that is cross platform that I can use on android now? Or do I have to move my notes over and be forced to use OneNote?

OneNote is great, but if you don't like it you can use Evernote.

5.)HP ePrint - Is there an app that I can print to my HP wireless printer?

What do you want to print? there is an app for HP printers, but if you want to print documents, KumoPrint is a must.

7.) Google Maps - I now my way pretty well around Atlanta, but for the times I need to navigate is Bing Maps good enough or is Here Maps better? Is Here Maos available on non Nokia devices?

You can use gMaps, it is a Google Maps client (and it is good).

8.)Mobile Nations Forums - Tapatalk is on WP correct? Or is there a better app to visit forums?

For WP forums you can use tapatalk or the WPCentral app.

Finally, what phone should I get? The Lumia Icon or the ATIV SE? I feel the ATIV would be better because it has a microsd card to take advantage of app to sd functions and I have microsd card already in my Razr M. But what do guys think? Any help is really appreciated.

Well, IMO the Lumia 1520 is a must, but the Ativ SE looks great too.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
After carefully considering my budget, I am now debating getting the Lumia 822, Samsung Ativ Odyssey, or HTC 8X. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
After carefully considering my budget, I am now debating getting the Lumia 822, Samsung Ativ Odyssey, or HTC 8X. What do you guys think?

Personally I would always choose Nokia for the exclusive apps and software updates like the upcoming Cyan update. Samsung and HTC seem to abandon their devices shortly after release. And even with the Microsoft purchase, I still suspect that the Nokia/Microsoft devices will receive the best and most reliable support.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234