Microsoft taking over Nokia: What is your best case scenario?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
With the overtake of Nokia by Microsoft it seems the phone manufacturer has idled a bit as far as upcoming Windows super phones.

What are your thoughts about the acquisition?

Will this be a big payoff for current and the future Windows phone users?
Will this buyout kill the popularity of the former Lumia line of phones?

How should Microsoft handle this?
Will the software giant be any good at building great phones?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think MS will make great phones. It's still the same people who made Nokia's phones, but now with MS resources.

engineermoore

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
yeah, I actually got an email from Nokia today regarding Nokia Accounts and how privacy is going to be handled with the transition and at the bottom of the email I noticed it says

"Copyright ? 2014 Nokia Corporation and Microsoft Mobile Oy
Nokia Corporation P.O. Box 226 FI-00045 Nokia Group Finland
Microsoft Mobile Oy Keilaranta 7, 02150 Espoo, Finland"

so there you go. Microsoft Mobile Oy is based in Espoo Finland apparently :p I think its reasonable to assume it is exactly the same part of Nokia now with a new name

Salamy

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
OK let them name the company what ever what they want but they should keep the historical great logo on each smartphone "Nokia"

there is really alot of loyalty to this brand {Nokia}

a mobile world without Nokia is a real bad world

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the brand - isn't a rose as sweet by any other name? Anyway, I believe that Microsoft only have a licence to use it for a limited period, although this might be extended, of course.

Hoss98

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
OK let them name the company what ever what they want but they should keep the historical great logo on each smartphone "Nokia"

there is really alot of loyalty to this brand {Nokia}

a mobile world without Nokia is a real bad world

they can't use the Nokia brand except for the series 30 and series 40 (Asha phones) and that's for 10 years but for Lumia they can't use it

Notice: Microsoft bought Nokia's devices unit not Nokia as a whole

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
they can't use the Nokia brand except for the series 30 and series 40 (Asha phones) and that's for 10 years but for Lumia they can't use it

Notice: Microsoft bought Nokia's devices unit not Nokia as a whole
As I understand it, MS can use the Nokia brand name for smart phones. They are choosing not to because they believe it will create confusion. They mainly plan to market "Lumia". So adding "Nokia" to that, along with "Microsoft" will make for a long and confusing name.

Microsoft Nokia Lumia 950

Last edited:

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has to remove any trace of Nokia from Microsoft Mobile, with the exception of dumb phones, Nokia is only good for dumb phones.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Building a name from zero in the crowded smartphone market i don't think will help MS much. Even with all the hype around Samsung, Nokia is still a big name among people when comes to phones... yet i have no doubts that MS will deliver top quality hardware in their future phones same as Nokia did in the past.

I think the main problem here is the marketing and brand awareness, how people will react with MS phones, loyal Nokia customers will still buy MS smartphone? How to convince people that MS new smartphones is just as good ol' nokia?

Right now, promoting and getting more people to buy WP8 phones is quite difficult, with the name change the challenge will get even more harder.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Nokia sold an insignificant number of smartphones in its lifetime. It was a failure with Meego, WP, and now Android.
They never could make the jump to the new product category that has very different features. They failed in moving their dumb phone customers to smartphones.
So, Nokia's smartphone fans are a insignificant demographic. There is no much value in the brand, It doesn't have the attributes to sell smartphones,

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia sold an insignificant number of smartphones in its lifetime. It was a failure with Meego, WP, and now Android.
They never could make the jump to the new product category that has very different features. They failed in moving their dumb phone customers to smartphones.
So, Nokia's smartphone fans are a insignificant demographic. There is no much value in the brand, It doesn't have the attributes to sell smartphones,

You missed /s. And it definitely needs a /s as you can't possibly be serious.

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't know... I was sad reading that NOKIA will disappear, but at the same time... wouldn't MICROSOFT MOBILE help sales get better? Will people react better to a MICROSOFT PHONE instead of Nokia in the USA? I feel like people like to neglect NOKIA in many parts, I don't know.. this is just confusing, I want them to succeed but Nokia is still a big brand and people are loyal to it... I just feel concerned about this whole situation , lol

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The thing about Nokia devices is that they just didn't look good. They felt great in your hands. I don't see any reason why that would change. What I'm really hopping for is the end of exclusive carrier deals where one carrier gets all the good stuff while the rest is trickled down.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I do see that maybe other OEMs might be able to start using PureView and stuff like that in the future; as long as it's for their Windows Phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077