Can Microsoft Ever Recover? Windows 8, Windows Phone, Xbox One, Surface, etc.

gudboyavinash

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Since we knew the potential of Microsoft and pleasure in using a windows phone, we must not hesitate to spread the word to our friends using other platforms so that a day comes when majority people learns about windows. Im the 1st amongst my friends to use windows phone lumia and now many of friends and even my bro are shifting to Windows. Many people are bored using android and they want a new feel, windows offers a premium feel n look.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it but Microsoft literally has no future. They came late in everything and people have set themselves in Google and apple ecosystems, hell they don't even want to look at a different OS. Only a miracle like a great marketing technique or if Apple or Google do something very very stupid can only save Microsoft. As far as financials are concerned, Microsoft will continue to rise, they have a hell lot more resources than we think. Thnx to the person who opened this thread, really interesting topic.

Atleast android can fail due to lag nd hang in low end.this can push customer to wp 8.1 ecosystem..I here only talk about only low end or mid end not high end it is Apple territory which cannot be conquered.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually Apple has been losing market share YoY, if the kantar numbers for instance are anything to go by.

Also just saw on bbc news that blackberry are announcing a low cost device exclusively for Indonesia.

I do think MS can recover it is just some of their decisions have been baffling lately... Well lets see what Lumia Cyan brings. I'm not holding my breath for HTC or Samsung to add any additional value to the 8.1 update.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually Apple has been losing market share YoY, if the kantar numbers for instance are anything to go by.
I don't know if it'll make a huge marketshare dent but Apple's upcoming large screen phones will definitely make a killing in the market. They've maxed out their existing user base and are coming around with a new pass at them.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it'll make a huge marketshare dent but Apple's upcoming large screen phones will definitely make a killing in the market. They've maxed out their existing user base and are coming around with a new pass at them.

Yeah android flagship will lose to apple iphone 6 because of that huge screen 4.7 inches though 5 inch would have been icing on the cake.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

And if they really do a big screened device they may sway some millions of Android owners who use Android devices for the bigger screen. This fall will be a very interesting time in the smartphone market. I am personally getting another Moto X (mines broke) and then I will get a Moto G for games. Then I will get a Moto 360 to round it out. Heck, I may get a Moto E just to have the whole family.

But back on topic, Apple will definitely take a bite of Android and WP if the rumors are true.

iphone-6-coque-concept-018.jpg
iphone-6-coque-concept-016.jpg

BrackleyDave

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I think if you were to use one word to describe Microsoft recently it would be "Late"

They were Late to the mobile phone market - although rather bizarrely they were actually early to smartphones with Windows Mobile, but then managed to destroy that market share by scrapping the original windows mobile 6 in favor of Windows Mobile 7, and then again by moving to Windows Mobile 8.

Tablets. Again, a market that they were early to, but when the ipad came along they took nearly 3 years to come out with a rival product to go up against it (and don't even get me started on what went wrong there - $$$ and Windows RT)

Cortana. Again, late to the party, although it seems as though Cortana might actually be fashionably late and wearing a prettier dress than Siri.

XBox. Not technically late, as it launched at pretty much the same time as it's rival, it's pre-launch marketing was a shambles and some U-Turns happened too late in the day to prevent the slightly dampened launch.

Windows 8. Windows 8 is a technically very advanced operating system, but it was let down by it's poor user experience at launch. Finally Microsoft have listened to people and starting to change things with updates 8.1.1.1.1.1, but maybe it's just too late to save the 8 brand and a wholesome new "9" might be the only way out of this marketing pickle

Windows RT. The evil b*stard twin of Windows 8 which shares all of the annoying traits and none of the good ones. It's a stupid stupid idea that should have never seen the light of day, and it should be put to sleep asap before it's too late. If MS want to persist in trying to sell us fondleslabs, why not scale up windows phone instead rather than scaling down full fat windows.

Believe it or not I'm a big fan of Microsoft and Windows and have been using Windows for 15 years as a developer and have bought original XBox, 360 and Bone, so I really want MS to succeed.
For me the biggest appeal of Microsoft products has been the flexibility and compatibility, but in recent years it's like they're trying to ape Apple's success by directly copying everything they do (closed systems, app stores, controlling hardware specs etc) and it's just not working.

Go back to what you're good at and stop trying to control everything.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
But apple iPhone 6 will only sale well in us where people buy phone in contract.in countries where people buy by paying outright price.iPhones will be hardly selling.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't have to "recover".

What if I told you Microsoft can still be selling their products without having to be number 1 all the time.

Why is everyone under the illusion that Microsoft is not successful?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't have to "recover".

What if I told you Microsoft can still be selling their products without having to be number 1 all the time.

Why is everyone under the illusion that Microsoft is not successful?

Its not that they aren't successful, its the fact how successful they are now can't sustain for that long. They have to do more and that's where the problem lays. WP has slow growth, enterprise is BYOD in a lot of places, and being business and enterprise only isn't a good business move (see BlackBerry for proof) so what do open to do next? What new and exciting do they have coming? Those are the questions. Apple is conservative, and Google is just future forward. What is Microsoft?

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I personally think Windows and Xbox are not in any bad situation. On the other hand Windows phone is in a dire situation - games app, music app, not working live tiles - you would thing a product that will ship on a phone in 3 days will be much more polished. They are late to the party, and they are show to catch up - I honestly think Joe belfiore should be fired

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't have to "recover". What if I told you Microsoft can still be selling their products without having to be number 1 all the time. Why is everyone under the illusion that Microsoft is not successful?
The concern is that MSFT is killing their core platform of 1.5 billion users by making horrible decisions. Idiotic things like putting Metro on big screens, throwing millions of manhours of Win32 developer experience by introducing the incompatible WinRT API, the incredibly idiotic design of some of the WinRT API, etc.

MSFT is coasting on previous success. They swallowed the WinRT/Metro poison pill ... it just hasn't started kicking in yet. Remember those movies where the main character discovers he was poisoned and only has 24 hours to live?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The concern is that MSFT is killing their core platform of 1.5 billion users by making horrible decisions. Idiotic things like putting Metro on big screens, throwing millions of manhours of Win32 developer experience by introducing the incompatible WinRT API, the incredibly idiotic design of some of the WinRT API, etc.

MSFT is coasting on previous success. They swallowed the WinRT/Metro poison pill ... it just hasn't started kicking in yet. Remember those movies where the main character discovers he was poisoned and only has 24 hours to live?

This is what NY thought is as well. The bulk of their money is from previous stuff before Windows 8. They can take the slow money from Windows 8 and WP8 for now, but how much longer, when they are expected to receive even more competition. ChromeOS is getting backed by Intel and expect to have core i3+ Chrome books soon, Android keeps becoming more successful and Apple is still raking in all the money, Samsung is the biggest smartphone manufacturer on the planet and lists profits are second only to Apple. Competition is getting fierce.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I own some MS products and I am quite happy with them although there are things that could get much better such as: Nokia phones to have much more quality inside. There are too many issues because faulty firmware or hw, just too many. Wp8.1 needs lots of fixes until public release.
I was using iphone and a S4 before jumping to 1520 and I do not regret it. I am using onedrive, outlook email, I have a xbox360 and planning to buy a surface rt tablet although I already own an ipad air which is great. Regarding PS3 or 4, well let's say I don't trust Sony's optical drives and their online service security. As a notebook I oen a macbook pro because it's much more reliable. So there it is, I have products from 2 competitors, it's just the way of personal choice everyone has. And no, MS won't die :) Iphone has great quality build, secured and fluid OS but screen size is a problem for me plus that I cannot freely choose between 2g-3g-4g bands. Android is too much malware vulnerable and fragmented despite it's personalizable concept. The only thing I would ask MS to do is to be more carefull with wp bugs and now with Nokia phones to avoid issues that would drive users away

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Out of everything I say and anyone else says I can only say all this competition is tech is only going to let the consumers win. Every high end phone so far this year looks good and have modern internals, smartphone market is bugger than ever and the RAC to the bottom has phone like the Moto G and E coming out with the OnePlus One coming soon. Its a fantastic time to be a techie, so many choices.

Also, regardless of what is said the only company doing poorly is BlackBerry everyone else looks to have a good 2014. Can't wait to see what new WP8.1 smart phones hit and what new laptops will come out.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
MS has done a poor job in relating fully the capabilities of a Win8.x Pro Tablet for business.

When people start getting further into BYOD, sorry, ChromeOS and iPads aren't going to cut it.
When you need certain full desktop software to run certain things, You aren't going to be doing that on those platforms.
Surface Pro's and Pro Tablets running Windows 8.X Pro are where they will be.
I am seeing this happen personally.

Sure, you will have some that will buy those devices (ChromeOS and iPad's)
When business starts to realize they can carry one Tablet, instead of a Laptop and a Tablet.
Or dock their tablet on a desk and then take it with them and have full desktop support.
You will see Win8.x Pro Tablets start to take a bigger share.

For consumers, again, spending the money on a Surface type tablet running Win8.x Pro, is just as good or better than
owning a desktop and a Crippled ChromeBook or iPad, and trying to go out and do all the stuff you might want to do on your Desktop

However, I will say that there is a large majority of people who are nothing more than consumers of content, true
Many of them jump on the cheap crap and believe they are satisfied, in reality, show them what a real Tablet can do
and the cost savings in general, and you could see that change.

That's the take I want to give out.

In true unadulterated real reality, people will go for the cheap crap believing they are saving money, when in the long run, they are actually spending 4 times the amount.

But the advantages of a Win8.x Pro Tablet are enormous compared to the others.

Can MS Recover? Yes, and they are.

Many of the people who read, heard, have seen Windows 8 and the GUI and were turned off by it are actually
liking it once they actually start using it.

And to say one hates Windows 8 but have no issues using an iPad or ChromeBook, says a lot more about them than anything else.
The word hypocrite comes to mind pretty dang easily.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I think its because I do not understand wall street, stocks, and corporation but I feel like Microsoft should be allowed to operate as a mid tier company and not have to be pushed to be number 1.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with being number one. I think people miss what they are trying to achieve and dismiss them as being to late, and then say they are done. Been said many times already in the past. MS isn't going anywhere, and they really don't have much to recover from. Win 8 was a misstep in GUI design, but the concept is solid, to say otherwise is disingenuous.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo