Is it safe to buy a 512 MB Windows Phone? Will it get all the future updates (8.5/9etc)?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree but the OP is worried about not getting future updates that haven't even been announced yet.

He is not an average consumer if he is on a forum no? If that`s the case then these are questions that should be asked considering all 512MB RAM devices (besides 630 series) are getting a little long in the tooth, and these are the kind of questions you ask when you are going to be using the device for a while.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
He is not an average consumer if he is on a forum no? If that`s the case then these are questions that should be asked considering all 512MB RAM devices (besides 630 series) are getting a little long in the tooth, and these are the kind of questions you ask when you are going to be using the device for a while.

No, he very well could be an average consumer. We don't know any people behind the keyboards on any forum.

For $60 for a full feature smartphone off contract I wouldn't worry about it not getting an update that's not even announced yet. It didn't cross my mind when I bought the 520.

Sent from my Bambo and Orange Moto X

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
We have an HTC 8X and a Lumia 521, 1GB and 512MB respectively. Except for the display quality I really don't see much difference. Granted we're not power users, but the 521 does everything we need to do well at a fraction the price and battery drain. I don't know if the exceptional battery life is due to the lower memory or display, or both.

I do think getting the better device if you can is a good idea, but don't discount an exceptional bargain.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
No, he very well could be an average consumer. We don't know any people behind the keyboards on any forum.

For $60 for a full feature smartphone off contract I wouldn't worry about it not getting an update that's not even announced yet. It didn't cross my mind when I bought the 520.

Average consumers don`t visit forums. We are more power consumers who research and ask questions.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Nah, I'll still disagree. There are average consumers who visit forums.

Then they aren't average consumers. Average consumers go to the store and ask who works there what this does and what to get.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Then they aren't average consumers. Average consumers go to the store and ask who works there what this does and what to get.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

I still disagree.

We have a difference of opinions. No big deal.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Considering that the new 630 is only 512 mb for memory? I'd say it is safe to buy a 520, and expect it to last a few years. If memory bugs you this much, by all means go for the 1 gig device, but I doubt that the 512 will fall out of favor anytime soon.

Parishrut

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Average customer? Please first define what that means. Anyways, I am perhaps not even average.
I am not very tech savvy and I was using a 128 MB Nokia 5800 before this, and it did all that I needed well; music, videos, web(opera mini), facebook (app) and a few cool games. Better multitasker than my dad's android. :p
Anyways, Windows needs updates much more that android, or so I have heard.
Also I am buying the phone for quite a long time use, so I think 1gb would be better.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hm true, if the 630 got 512mb installed, it should be ok for the next 18 months...bit why is there such a big discussion? 512 is ok, 1024 is perfect (games, better multitasking).
That's it.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Average consumers don`t visit forums. We are more power consumers who research and ask questions.

Have you read some of the questions being asked on the forums? Anyone can ask questions on a forum - doesn't make them a "power user". Just like signing up for the developer preview doesn't make someone a developer.

I'm not talking about this thread in particular.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
go for 635 or 630 (512MB) or 620(screen size smaller, also 512mb), with compass and some sensor, 52x dont have these.
720(1GB) would be the choice too.
also 52x and 625 dont have glance screen and clearblack screen
if you want a basic phone, then go for 525 or 625

are you sure????>> I have clear black on 520 and 625 which those have 512 mb of ram

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
are you sure????>> I have clear black on 520 and 625 which those have 512 mb of ram

no you don't, the 52x and 625 are the two phones of this generation that do not have the clearblack polarization(I believe) filter

also worth noting the 720 does not have 1 GB of RAM

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Only get the 520 if you don't care about games. It's a SOLID phone that's far better than its price would suggest. But at the same time, if you can afford a 525 with twice the RAM... go for it! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte