Microsoft Needs To Show Its Teeth to Google Inc.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I think it's becoming more apparent with each passing month of WP8's existence that Google is nervous at the thought of a competing OS not running iOS. Android's surge to dominance in the US and Europe owes a large part to dissatisfied iPhone owners making the switch to Android as well as offering dirt cheap smartphones in emerging Asian markets. Windows Phone of course poses a threat of competition to Android in ways that Apple wasn't competing with Android. Apple devices sell at a premium because people are for whatever reason enamored with any product that bears the Apple logo or has the lower case i in the name. People who want an Apple product will buy an Apple product regardless of more technically advanced alternatives being available for cheaper. Android always was the rebound girl after the Apple breakup and now there's another, people leaving Apple have WP as an alternative to Android. MS has a direct competing product/service to everything Google offers, once a user adopts a MS service or product the alternative Google option is off the table. Apple never threatened Google like this because nearly every iPhone has a Gmail, YouTube, Chrome app or uses Google search on Safari. With MS in the dance Google lost alot of leverage over Apple ( as shown by Siri migrating to Bing to spite Google).

Google knows that if Windows Phone received all of Google's apps and services that WP would nibble at their userbase in the same way they did to Apple. I know plenty of Android users who've switched to WP and considered it, without considering returning to Apple. The main thing holding most of them back is the lack of Google apps and not apps in general. Microsoft may be seen as a David (if we're just talking smartphones) but if we're talking all of NASDAQ and sway in the tech industry then Microsoft is the lion and Google is the hyena who eats what the lion leaves and allows it to eat. Microsoft needs to hit everything Google affiliated with license fees and legal red tape while continuing to become friendlier with Apple I/e push out Skype, Office, OneDrive updates and features to Windows and Apple long before the Android/Chrome users get the same updates/versions of the MS services. Microsoft SHOULD patent troll Google Inc. relentlessly within what the laws allow. OEM's like Samsung and HTC will spend more money on production of Android running phones and Androids will rise in price or take a loss. Microsoft still controls the cash cow productivity software in America and most of the world and owns the rights to massive piles of patents. Microsoft could not only wage a licensing war on Android, but on x86 Google programs running on hundreds of millions of windows PC's. They could also do things like making Xbox Live Gold and Office 365 subscriptions cheaper for users with non Gmail web addresses, by offering discounted rates specific to Outlook/Live/Hotmail users and keeping the rates the same for Gmail users. Imagine seeing 10,15,20 and even 25% off specials and clearances for games on Xbox Live and Gmail users finding out they're not eligible for the discounted rates. Or a new business finding out the business can get Office 365 for cheaper if his/her employees use Outlook and not Gmail as the company email address.

Satya Nadella has a technological empire to support Windows Phone and force Google to play ball with Redmond's mobile OS.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I bought an iPhone thou not because of the name rather it just works, all apps are available. My only complaint is screen size.

Regarding charging for gmail access is interesting but if I were Microsoft I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I don't think Google is all that concerned about a mobile OS with 3% global marketshare.

Then why don't they develop apps for Windows Phone? Microsoft makes Office-like apps for Chrome OS. So either Google is worried or they're too incompetent to figure out how to code for Windows Phone. Neither looks good on them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Then why don't they develop apps for Windows Phone?

Because...

...3% global marketshare.

To be honest, I'm sure Google knows that they're not helping WP out any by not providing official Google apps. However, I'm also sure that if WP's market share is higher sometime in the future that Google will provide apps. The reason I don't believe that Google is not doing it at this point because they're "scared" of WP is Apple. If Google was withholding WP apps for that reason, then on the same token they wouldn't provide first rate apps for the iPhone & iPad. Bring the users for ROI, and the apps will be there. There's also the issue of APIs not being available on WP to make properly functioning apps in some cases.

So why don't other companies develop apps for Windows Phone? It's not only Google you know...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So why don't other companies develop apps for Windows Phone? It's not only Google you know...

Because other companies aren't one of the largest adverti.... Uh... Software companies in the world with tens of thousands of employees, but Google is. It makes no sense that Yahoo is able to make a Windows 8 app, but Google isn't.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Because other companies aren't one of the largest adverti.... Uh... Software companies in the world with tens of thousands of employees, but Google is. It makes no sense that Yahoo is able to make a Windows 8 app, but Google isn't.

It doesn't make any difference that Google is a big company. Of course they have the resources to make WP apps, and they can also absorb a loss on it. However, they are not a charity. I'm sure that they consider ROI like any responsible business. Why doesn't your local bank make a WP app? Why not Facebook? Why not Flipboard?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't make any difference that Google is a big company. Of course they have the resources to make WP apps, and they can also absorb a loss on it. However, they are not a charity. I'm sure that they consider ROI like any responsible business. Why doesn't your local bank make a WP app? Why not Facebook? Why not Flipboard?

Yet go to the Chrome Store (or whatever they call it) and you'll see basic Microsoft Office apps, yet there are way more WP than there are Chromebooks.

"why doesn't your local bank make an app" it does

"why not Facebook" they do, its co-made by Microsoft

"Why not flipboard" it was announced, but apparently never followed through. Its supposedly in beta

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yet go to the Chrome Store (or whatever they call it) and you'll see basic Microsoft Office apps, yet there are way more WP than there are Chromebooks.

Evidently Microsoft sees a profit in it, otherwise they wouldn't do it. Do you really think they're providing Chrome apps just to be nice?

Wow that's very impressive! I thought only the big national banks had WP apps. My local bank just produced an Android app within the last year or so.

Facebook is involved in that app? I didn't know that! But it's not very good quality.

"Why not flipboard" it was announced, but apparently never followed through. Its supposedly in beta.

WP motto: Coming soon!

In the end, I believe you're at least partially correct in that Google isn't trying to help WP in any way. I'd say at most restricting WP's growth in this way is a convenient side benefit. But I still have to wonder why Google goes all in with iOS apps. Do you know the reason? I don't, if the reason isn't that they see $$$ in it.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft could not only wage a licensing war on Android, but on x86 Google programs running on hundreds of millions of windows PC's. They could also do things like making Xbox Live Gold and Office 365 subscriptions cheaper for users with non Gmail web addresses, by offering discounted rates specific to Outlook/Live/Hotmail users and keeping the rates the same for Gmail users. Imagine seeing 10,15,20 and even 25% off specials and clearances for games on Xbox Live and Gmail users finding out they're not eligible for the discounted rates. Or a new business finding out the business can get Office 365 for cheaper if his/her employees use Outlook and not Gmail as the company email address.

Satya Nadella has a technological empire to support Windows Phone and force Google to play ball with Redmond's mobile OS.

I don't think any of that would be appreciated by the FTC or the courts.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't think Google is all that concerned about a mobile OS with 3% global marketshare.

If they weren't concerned about Windows Phone then they should have developed apps for the platform. We all know they are fuming inside whatever heart they have.

I will never really understand as to why Google keeps on backsliding Microsoft. They came for Windows with the utterly waste of tech that are Chromebooks which are a bust. Then now, they come for Windows Phone.

I love Android and all but Google is seriously one miserable company wanting to monopolize the tech industry. I wouldn't mind "this" type of competition but at least give Microsoft a fair start on the mobile industry.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The problem is not Google. Microsoft is happy without most of the Google apps, because they have replacement for them and make money when people switch.
Apps where Microsoft doesn't compete should be in WP, for example youtube, and MS is actively working to get it.

What Microsoft needs is third party apps. The OS is becoming irrelevant, opaque, apps dominates the experience. The mobile web is irrelevant, apps dominates the experience. People is downloading more apps, have more apps in their phones, spend more time in apps. The app reach is increasing, people use apps for new use cases. The app gap is increasing, not closing, because small apps are becoming more important.

So, Microsoft has two options: Build a great Metro launcher on top of AOSP, or support Android apps on WP. Without Android apps Microsoft Mobile is dead.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah agreed google is somewhat worried about wp which can unsettle it from os race.just imagine if all get the major apps then there is no reason to not have windows phone because it is same as iphone with intuitive live tiles.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I really think the reason Google has Apple apps and not WP/Modern apps reflects their view of the threat Apple/Microsoft poses. Google also had to do IOS apps initially to develop mobile cred, grow Android, and blunt IOS' momentum.

But the bigger picture, Apple is simply not in the space, and doesn't seem serious about entering it, that Google/Microsoft compete in - enterprise cloud, services, and manageability. Apple two years from now will essentially be what Apple is now which is what they were 2 years ago, and 2 years before that. Sure, they are wildly successful where they're at, but they are not where Google/Microsoft knock heads. It costs Google nothing in potential to throw some bones Apple's way, and puts a lot at risk to show the same favor for Microsoft.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I really think the reason Google has Apple apps and not WP/Modern apps reflects their view of the threat Apple/Microsoft poses. Google also had to do IOS apps initially to develop mobile cred, grow Android, and blunt IOS' momentum.

But the bigger picture, Apple is simply not in the space, and doesn't seem serious about entering it, that Google/Microsoft compete in - enterprise cloud, services, and manageability. Apple two years from now will essentially be what Apple is now which is what they were 2 years ago, and 2 years before that. Sure, they are wildly successful where they're at, but they are not where Google/Microsoft knock heads. It costs Google nothing in potential to throw some bones Apple's way, and puts a lot at risk to show the same favor for Microsoft.

According to this article from neowin.net, WP's market share is projected to grow from 3.9% to 7% by 2018. Here's a chart in the article:

idc_smartphone_marketshare_14-18.jpg

While that's an impressive growth YoY, it's still a very low total market share. After 8 years in the market still having only 7% market share is not impressive no matter how anyone looks at it. I'm sure that the current market share is not what Microsoft expected when they launch WP 3.5 years ago. That said, Apple's market share projection isn't too much more impressive, but yet their iPhone division is highly profitable. WP is not.

I fail to see how this lackluster growth would cause Google to be more afraid of WP than iPhone. That's still 4 years out, and who knows what the whole smartphone paradigm will be by then.

Disclaimer: I have no clue how credible neowin.net is; it's just something I remembered seeing on Flipboard awhile ago.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
According to this article from neowin.net, WP's market share is projected to grow from 3.9% to 7% by 2018. Here's a chart in the article:

View attachment 65988

While that's an impressive growth YoY, it's still a very low total market share. After 8 years in the market still having only 7% market share is not impressive no matter how anyone looks at it. I'm sure that the current market share is not what Microsoft expected when they launch WP 3.5 years ago. That said, Apple's market share projection isn't too much more impressive, but yet their iPhone division is highly profitable. WP is not.

I fail to see how this lackluster growth would cause Google to be more afraid of WP than iPhone. That's still 4 years out, and who knows what the whole smartphone paradigm will be by then.

Disclaimer: I have no clue how credible neowin.net is; it's just something I remembered seeing on Flipboard awhile ago.

Microsoft has no plan of how WP can either be:

a. High-market share, but low profit like Android
b. Low-market share, but high profit like Apple

Low-market share, low-profit like... Microsoft!

killer rin

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Its an interesting post, although I don't believe that Microsoft should snoop as low as your saying. Yes Microsoft should hit companies which are utilizing their patents without paying, not doing so is a terrible business move. Microsoft needs to continue to improve their services and continue the fight for the next billion Cellphone owners and people not on Google services. If you aim solely at people who are already locked into an ecosystem, it will make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to win them back over. They need to hit people with no, or weak affiliations to win.

The cell phone market is a long battle, it'll take time before we, as fans, start seeing returns for our platform :)

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

"Why not flipboard" it was announced, but apparently never followed through. Its supposedly in beta

The Office apps aren't just for Chromebooks, they're there to be used in the Chrome browser on the desktop as well. And you are very wrong about Facebook. They don't "co-make" anything. Microsoft builds the app themselves using Facebook APIs. And I don't know who you bank with, but the only banks I've seen make apps for WP are major ones like Wells Fargo. None of the three local regional banks I use have an app for WP.

In any case, I agree with the fact that Google considers Windows Phone as too insignificant for them to bother with. I doubt they would make apps for iPhone if it weren't for the fact that they're too big to ignore. Once Windows Phone reaches double digit market share you'll see a big shift in Googles attitude. At the end of the day they don't really give a damn about platform, they're interested in ad revenue wherever they're able to generate it in significant quantities, and right now WP ain't it.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The problem is not Google. Microsoft is happy without most of the Google apps, because they have replacement for them and make money when people switch.
Apps where Microsoft doesn't compete should be in WP, for example youtube, and MS is actively working to get it.

What Microsoft needs is third party apps. The OS is becoming irrelevant, opaque, apps dominates the experience. The mobile web is irrelevant, apps dominates the experience. People is downloading more apps, have more apps in their phones, spend more time in apps. The app reach is increasing, people use apps for new use cases. The app gap is increasing, not closing, because small apps are becoming more important.

So, Microsoft has two options: Build a great Metro launcher on top of AOSP, or support Android apps on WP. Without Android apps Microsoft Mobile is dead.

With Android, Microsoft is dead. Or at least fast-tracked to total irrelevance. Microsoft termed themselves a Services and Devices company after their reorganization last year. While it is important for them to have people using their services, which could be done as easily on Android or Iphone as much as Windows Phone, Windows Phone is an extension of Windows, which is still one of their core businesses.

The next step with the upcoming major releases to Windows and Windows Phone is to further combine the two. Windows 9 running on a tablet may be the exact same operating system as Windows Phone 9, which is the long way around to Microsoft doing what Android and IOS already did, but nevertheless, that is their goal. With that, developers using Microsoft's SDK will be able to write single apps that work with Windows desktops, laptops and tablets and Windows Phone devices. If Microsoft would give up and build Android, then they would eliminate any reason for developers to write native Windows apps. So Windows would dwindle faster than ever.

After that, I fail to see how MS-Droid would ever gain any traction in the marketplace? Sony, Samsung, HTC, etc are already building Android phones using Google services. What would compel them to build a version of Android that is almost what they've using for years, but uses entirely different backend services to Microsoft instead of Google's. All of that would be happening at a time, by the way, where Google's slowly decreasing the openness of Android, as more apps use Google specific APIs to be Play Store certified. So even Android isn't necessarily Android.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3