06-27-2014 09:18 AM
59 123
tools
    I love Nokia, I was sad at first, BUT I will keep it cool and will support WP 8.1 no matter what, at the end what if other OEMs bring better quality? a Sony WP 8.1 would be amazing! I'd love to have it as I loved their XPeria Line of products
    I'm really crossing my fingers for a Sony WP soon. I didn't want to leave WP after the pleasant surprise that 8.1 was along with the fact that Google butchered microSD functionality on Android 4.4 rendering microSD cards useless on Android.
    A Z2 /Z2 Compact running WP would be awesome. And Sony is really the only OEM with phones up to Nokia standards IMO.
    05-01-2014 08:24 PM
    Other users have expressed my exact thoughts... aesthetics and build quality are both very important to me when it comes to mobile devices, and for me nobody did it better than Nokia. I've been a fan for a long time. Yes, it matters to me that Nokia branding will be gone, but I'll reserve judgement til I see what's next.

Sony is my second favorite OEM, so I'll definitely be keeping them in mind as well. I'd prefer they made a WP version of their Xperia line though. If I didn't just buy this Lumia 1520, I would strongly be considering the Xperia Z2 right now. But hey, one more Nokia branded device for old time's sake.
    05-01-2014 10:11 PM
    Other users have expressed my exact thoughts... aesthetics and build quality are both very important to me when it comes to mobile devices, and for me nobody did it better than Nokia. I've been a fan for a long time. Yes, it matters to me that Nokia branding will be gone, but I'll reserve judgement til I see what's next.

Sony is my second favorite OEM, so I'll definitely be keeping them in mind as well. I'd prefer they made a WP version of their Xperia line though. If I didn't just buy this Lumia 1520, I would strongly be considering the Xperia Z2 right now. But hey, one more Nokia branded device for old time's sake.
    Beautifully said and I agree!
    BIGPADDY and hasasimo like this.
    05-01-2014 10:24 PM
    NOKIA branding to be removed, does it matter to me???
    Logos and branding change constantly
    Names like:
    WorldNet>AT&T>Cingular>AT&T mobile
    Atlantic Bell>Verizon
    Southern Pacific Comm>Sprint\Nextel>Sprint
    Comcast>Xfinity
    NEC>Renesas
    ...to name one or two.

Time will absorb the Nokia name connected to the Windows Phone.
    Anybody remember Sony Ericsson?
    hasasimo likes this.
    05-01-2014 10:30 PM
    Logos and branding change constantly
    Names like:
    WorldNet>AT&T>Cingular>AT&T mobile
    Atlantic Bell>Verizon
    Southern Pacific Comm>Sprint\Nextel>Sprint
    Comcast>Xfinity
    NEC>Renesas
    ...to name one or two.

Time will absorb the Nokia name connected to the Windows Phone.
    Anybody remember Sony Ericsson?
    Yes..I remember all of those,and some of them were great until taken over,like Nextel..

I too made the switch to WP from Android,and being able to buy a Nokia Lumia was a major factor in doing so,and it bothers me to see a era coming to a close.

A lot of folks I know are also tired of both Android and Apple,for various reasons,both seem stale by comparison to the new 8.1 and everyone who has seen and got the chance to play with it loves the way it looks,and love the feel of the 1520. It's a awesome looking and performing phone.

Until someone else makes one that the build quality is as good,I doubt I switch anytime soon.

I think if Microsoft is smart,they will continue using Nokia's name and continue the Lumia line for as long as possible,because more and more people who are tired of cheaply built phones and tired of the same old thing with Android and Apple are causing a resurgence here at Nokia's end. Too little too late but enough so that there is more press than I ever recall seeing.

Mac
    Guytronic and Kram Sacul like this.
    05-01-2014 10:58 PM
    Do you have a link to that story?
    Microsoft confirms it will ditch Nokia branding on new smartphones | Expert Reviews
    google it you will find more
    05-01-2014 11:00 PM
    Microsoft has 32,000 new employees and most all will probably be doing that same job they have done in the past. What's in a name?
    forked and Dk92 like this.
    05-01-2014 11:11 PM
    So it seems like for US people it does not matter a lot, You seems to believe in OS and other specs more than the manufacturer(tell me if i am wrong?)
    But in Asian and European countries it matters to lots of people and whenever this will happen sales are obviously going to affect there.
    05-01-2014 11:25 PM
    Microsoft has 32,000 new employees and most all will probably be doing that same job they have done in the past. What's in a name?
    According to Disney, everything.

Although I have no clue how it will effect WP...i think as long as MS pushes mass marketing, they will be Ok. On the other hand, they could pull an HP / webOS strategy and pull the plug without trying (doubt it though).
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-01-2014 11:30 PM
    Interesting discussion here about the Nokia name and those who profess loyalty.

Seems to me Nokia may have been less loyal to their very own effort in the WP share.
    If the company were a true and firm supporter the Lumia division wouldn't have been for sale.

Any name change won't matter in the global sense.
    Products and support along with a great public campaign for those products will be the deciding points.
    05-01-2014 11:45 PM
    The type of blind loyalty you are describing with Nokia doesn't apply to Nokia in the states (I couldn't care less) but it does apply to Apple.
    05-01-2014 11:45 PM
    So it seems like for US people it does not matter a lot, You seems to believe in OS and other specs more than the manufacturer(tell me if i am wrong?)
    But in Asian and European countries it matters to lots of people and whenever this will happen sales are obviously going to affect there.
    Well, I'm American. But I have noticed I tend to gravitate more to European tastes when it comes to style in general, be it clothes, cars, or consumer electronics. That probably has a lot to do with the sentiments I expressed towards Nokia.
    05-01-2014 11:53 PM
    Not to me. It's not about the name. It's about the people who work on it.
    Dk92 likes this.
    05-01-2014 11:57 PM
    I think at this point in the game MS would be shooting themselves in the foot to just ditch Nokia on future phones. Why go through the trouble of acquiring Nokia to not take advantage of the name? Because some lame US survey told them so? Probably the same lame people that told them that red and cyan weren't desirable colors or that people want a phone with a metal band around the edge.
    05-02-2014 12:44 AM
    The main reason I bought a Lumia 800 was because it was Nokia. If it had been the exact same phone I wouldn't have gone near it, and would have stuck with Android.
    I am from India and even I could think of buying a Windows Phone only because of the Nokia brand. Although later I liked it and it prompted many around me to try it, but if not for Nokia I don't think I would have bought a Windows Phone. I believe this would apply to most of India because people need an instantly recognizable brand to get hooked on to a device here(Name sells)
    05-02-2014 01:39 AM
    Things are moving fast..... I purchased an accessory at the Nokia flagship store in Helsinki last weekend while on a weekend there...

Big surprise while checking out my credit card transactions summary: the transaction was made to MICROSOFT!

To be honest Nokia was what made me switch to WP... not sure if I will stick to WP when Nokia disappears... If I wanted to buy a Samsung or Sony, I would have done so long ago and had an Android device.
    05-02-2014 02:15 AM
    Since day one I only own Nokia mobiles. I did own N900 (Maemo os) just because it was made by Nokia. And goes to WP just because it was made from Nokia. So in future I will stick with Microsoft only because they bought Nokia regardless new brand name.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
    05-02-2014 02:37 AM
    Nokia may not be as popular in the US as other brands anymore, but I feel it does have a good reputation. I'll be sad to see the day Nokia is wiped from future handsets. I feel like Nokia has done more for Windows Phone than Microsoft, and that legacy deserves to live on.
    05-02-2014 02:56 AM
    I strongly feel that Microsoft will release a Surface Phone or Microsoft branded Lumia, before the 18 months are over. That way, they can sell phones using Nokia branding for 18 months and also develop a new brand of phones.
    Dk92 likes this.
    05-02-2014 03:02 AM
    It is great that MS has acquired Nokia devices, but they should not change the name of such an Iconic device maker. It's like burning a page of a history book. It's blasphemy!
    05-02-2014 06:14 AM
    I love Nokia, I was sad at first, BUT I will keep it cool and will support WP 8.1 no matter what, at the end what if other OEMs bring better quality? a Sony WP 8.1 would be amazing! I'd love to have it as I loved their XPeria Line of products
    That's the spirit!
    05-02-2014 07:53 AM
    I want to have a Microsoft Lumia device by the end of this year.
    05-02-2014 07:54 AM
    I think at this point in the game MS would be shooting themselves in the foot to just ditch Nokia on future phones. Why go through the trouble of acquiring Nokia to not take advantage of the name? Because some lame US survey told them so? Probably the same lame people that told them that red and cyan weren't desirable colors or that people want a phone with a metal band around the edge.
    The thing is, Microsoft did not buy Nokia. They just bought their D&S division. Nokia remains an independent company and can return to devices in 2016 (Suri, Nokia's new CEO, left the door open for that to happen). So Microsoft doesn't have any option. They can't use the Nokia brand because they don't own Nokia and the license they forged in the deal clearly excluded Nokia X and Nokia Lumia devices from keeping the brand name.

A new license would be necessary and Eflop noted that it's not Microsoft's intention to get it. Why? Well, if I had to bet, it's because, as usual, Microsoft is US-centric and thinks the whole World revolves and works according to the will and whims of the US. But it will be deeply stupid from Microsoft to not try to, at least, expand the license until 2016. That way they could slowly remove the brand from the phones instead of doing so abruptly as they will (for example, instead of a logo on the front and back, put the Lumia logo on the front and Nokia's logo on the back. Then only on the camera etc and then slowly remove it)
    05-02-2014 09:13 AM
    Personally I could care less. If Sony releases a phone with Vaio branding that's what I'm going for irregardless :) But to be honest I would not have switched from Android if it wasn't for Nokia being here. So my guess is, it could affect people's thinking when switching in the future.
    05-02-2014 09:24 AM
    I'm gonna take the WPCENTRAL story as a more credible source. Thanks though
    Rajat Lath likes this.
    05-02-2014 05:37 PM
59 123