NOKIA branding to be removed, does it matter to us???

Rajat Lath

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
So, finally the deal between NOKIA and MICROSOFT is over and soon we'll not able to see NOKIA brand names on the new Microsoft Mobiles. I just wanna how much this is going to affect us..
i personally will miss it and NOKIA means a lot to me. Nokia has taught the world what is a Mobile phone. for me it is a big thing!!

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Not for me, but for most users but mainly in Europe and Latin America. But I believe that MS will not remove the name abruptly, but smoothly, and over time, gradually.

They are not stupid enough. (I hope so).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There was an article on WPC about this. The Nokia will stay put, for now. I'm not surprised in the least. However I do expect it to go within a year or two.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't really bother me, then again, Nokia was fading rapidly in the US until they starting making Windows Phones. If anything I'm still anticipating a Surface Phone, I came to this ecosystem more so for the OS than the brand making the phone.

Rajat Lath

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Stephen Elop has confirmed that branding will be removed as MS will soon have no rights to use NOKIA as a brand name.
I am from India and here i guess there are some people who buy windows phone as IT WAS produced by NOKIA.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It should not matter. Frankly, in the US people remember their first flip phone when they think of Nokia. Very few Nokia smartphones were offered by US carriers and the ones that were (Nuron, N97), sucked badly save for the E71 & E73.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, Microsoft is licensing the Nokia brand name for the next 18 months. That should allow for a slow transition of the Nokia brand to something else.

The Nokia brand is still huge in various parts of the world and it's starting to make a small impact in the U.S. A quick ditching of the brand would be bad overall, good that MS has 18 months for a slow burn. Personally, I would love to see Nokia's confusing number system disappear. While I don't have any problems know the difference between the 920, 925, 928, 1020 etc. I'm also not the average consumer. The average consumer wants the "new" version of a brand name and they don't want to do research to find out. I think moving to a more standardized name like the "Surface" line would be good for MS.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
There are more people that don't buy the phones because the Nokia brand is so weak, boring, anchored in the past, a symbol of failure in smartphones like BlackBerry,, than people that buy the phones because they are fans of Nokia.

The brand has a negative effect in sales. Microsoft has to create a new brand.

Last edited:

Rajat Lath

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
the impact is for sure but MS will definitely to a lots of hard work(more than now :wink:) to improve windows phone and attract people towards WP. It will take some time but let us see!

shrinivasan p

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Nokia was, and perhaps still is, the most trusted brand in India.
They lost out to Samsung mainly because Samsung started Dual-Sim phones which became a rage. They also made a lot of cheaper but crappier (they are still crappy, in my opinion) phones.
We surely miss it. Perhaps Microsoft could re-brand it as Microsoft-Nokia , a sure way for them to remember a trusted brand name.
Regards

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
There are more people that don't buy the phones because the Nokia brand is so weak, boring, anchored in the past, a symbol of failure in smartphones like BlackBerry,, than people that buy the phones because they are fans of Nokia.

The brand has a negative effect in sales. Microsoft has to create a new brand.

In the US, maybe. But in Europe, the Nokia brand is trusted. It was starting to be eroded in Europe, but a lot of people still trust the Nokia brand this side of the Atlantic.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
In the US, maybe. But in Europe, the Nokia brand is trusted. It was starting to be eroded in Europe, but a lot of people still trust the Nokia brand this side of the Atlantic.

Nokia is trusted in dumb phones, not in smartphones. Nokia can only sell low end models, sales in the high end are close to zero. The inexpensive low end smartphone is the replacement of the dumb phone, people buy those phones using "dumb phone logic".
Lately Nokia was trying Android, what tier did they choose? Low end, because is closer to their attributes.

Microsoft needs a new exciting brand that is associated to the high end. They have to launch this brand with cutting edge hardware to create hype, probably those rumored 3d gestures point in that direction. A flagship phone shares its halo with the devices in lower tiers, so It's the most important product, the media talks mostly of the flagship phone. For example, Surface is a total failure in sales, but the media talk a lot about the Surface, and that is creating the market for the Windows table. Without the Surface the Windows tablet would be dead.

What is the Nokia flagship phone?

Rajat Lath

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Nokia is trusted in dumb phones, not in smartphones. Nokia can only sell low end models, sales in the high end are close to zero. The inexpensive low end smartphone is the replacement of the dumb phone, people buy those phones using "dumb phone logic".
Lately Nokia was trying Android, what tier did they choose? Low end, because is closer to their attributes.

totally disagree with this, Microsoft will continue to develop the WP as they were doing earlier, yep this is true that we will see some new innovations and that was we used to see earlier from NOKIA too!! So it was not like NOKIA was a dumb company, Nokia chose Windows OS and they were doing great work!!!!!!

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Most logical decision would be to just use Lumia as the brand. Keep "Microsoft" off the phones though for sure. Will miss Nokia brand but I guess it's got to go.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I feel they need to keep the Nokia branding outside of the US for an extended period. In the USA it will not matter as much because the Microsoft brand is so strong on it's own. In Europe and India it'd be foolish to drop the Nokia brand because it has earned customer loyalty over the last few decades. Europe is currently the best market for Windows Phone so I hope they don't trash their only strong market by dropping the well-known and loyalty inspiring Nokia brand there.

Samsung makes amazing screens and really good devices, overall, but I really enjoy the solid feel of the Nokia phones. All of my iPhone friends are running around with their 2nd or 3rd shattered screen like it's just an inescapable fact of life. My wife dropped her 920 onto pavement at least 3x that I am aware of and it suffered no visible damage. There is real value in the Nokia brand and not just their hardware production facilities.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I thought there was a front page story here, that said they were keeping "Nokia" as a brand for the smartphones for a while, but no timetable was announced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb