06-27-2014 09:18 AM
59 123
tools
    So, finally the deal between NOKIA and MICROSOFT is over and soon we'll not able to see NOKIA brand names on the new Microsoft Mobiles. I just wanna how much this is going to affect us..
    i personally will miss it and NOKIA means a lot to me. Nokia has taught the world what is a Mobile phone. for me it is a big thing!!
    FAHMI BASSEM likes this.
    04-30-2014 08:08 AM
    Not for me, but for most users but mainly in Europe and Latin America. But I believe that MS will not remove the name abruptly, but smoothly, and over time, gradually.

They are not stupid enough. (I hope so).
    04-30-2014 08:13 AM
    There was an article on WPC about this. The Nokia will stay put, for now. I'm not surprised in the least. However I do expect it to go within a year or two.
    AngrySprintUser likes this.
    04-30-2014 08:14 AM
    Doesn't really bother me, then again, Nokia was fading rapidly in the US until they starting making Windows Phones. If anything I'm still anticipating a Surface Phone, I came to this ecosystem more so for the OS than the brand making the phone.
    MetaG85 likes this.
    04-30-2014 08:16 AM
    Stephen Elop has confirmed that branding will be removed as MS will soon have no rights to use NOKIA as a brand name.
    I am from India and here i guess there are some people who buy windows phone as IT WAS produced by NOKIA.
    04-30-2014 08:23 AM
    It should not matter. Frankly, in the US people remember their first flip phone when they think of Nokia. Very few Nokia smartphones were offered by US carriers and the ones that were (Nuron, N97), sucked badly save for the E71 & E73.
    A895 likes this.
    04-30-2014 08:50 AM
    If I remember correctly, Microsoft is licensing the Nokia brand name for the next 18 months. That should allow for a slow transition of the Nokia brand to something else.

The Nokia brand is still huge in various parts of the world and it's starting to make a small impact in the U.S. A quick ditching of the brand would be bad overall, good that MS has 18 months for a slow burn. Personally, I would love to see Nokia's confusing number system disappear. While I don't have any problems know the difference between the 920, 925, 928, 1020 etc. I'm also not the average consumer. The average consumer wants the "new" version of a brand name and they don't want to do research to find out. I think moving to a more standardized name like the "Surface" line would be good for MS.
    04-30-2014 08:57 AM
    There are more people that don't buy the phones because the Nokia brand is so weak, boring, anchored in the past, a symbol of failure in smartphones like BlackBerry,, than people that buy the phones because they are fans of Nokia.

The brand has a negative effect in sales. Microsoft has to create a new brand.
    Last edited by rodan01; 04-30-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: grammar
    Dk92 likes this.
    04-30-2014 09:23 AM
    the impact is for sure but MS will definitely to a lots of hard work(more than now ) to improve windows phone and attract people towards WP. It will take some time but let us see!
    04-30-2014 09:24 AM
    Nokia was, and perhaps still is, the most trusted brand in India.
    They lost out to Samsung mainly because Samsung started Dual-Sim phones which became a rage. They also made a lot of cheaper but crappier (they are still crappy, in my opinion) phones.
    We surely miss it. Perhaps Microsoft could re-brand it as Microsoft-Nokia , a sure way for them to remember a trusted brand name.
    Regards
    praveen9663 likes this.
    04-30-2014 11:57 AM
    I don't really care what the branding on the phone is.
    A895 and forked like this.
    05-01-2014 08:41 AM
    Never forget, Nokia
    05-01-2014 08:42 AM
    05-01-2014 09:23 AM
    There are more people that don't buy the phones because the Nokia brand is so weak, boring, anchored in the past, a symbol of failure in smartphones like BlackBerry,, than people that buy the phones because they are fans of Nokia.

In the US, maybe. But in Europe, the Nokia brand is trusted. It was starting to be eroded in Europe, but a lot of people still trust the Nokia brand this side of the Atlantic.
    Guytronic and praveen9663 like this.
    05-01-2014 09:24 AM
    In the US, maybe. But in Europe, the Nokia brand is trusted. It was starting to be eroded in Europe, but a lot of people still trust the Nokia brand this side of the Atlantic.
    Nokia is trusted in dumb phones, not in smartphones. Nokia can only sell low end models, sales in the high end are close to zero. The inexpensive low end smartphone is the replacement of the dumb phone, people buy those phones using "dumb phone logic".
    Lately Nokia was trying Android, what tier did they choose? Low end, because is closer to their attributes.

Microsoft needs a new exciting brand that is associated to the high end. They have to launch this brand with cutting edge hardware to create hype, probably those rumored 3d gestures point in that direction. A flagship phone shares its halo with the devices in lower tiers, so It's the most important product, the media talks mostly of the flagship phone. For example, Surface is a total failure in sales, but the media talk a lot about the Surface, and that is creating the market for the Windows table. Without the Surface the Windows tablet would be dead.

What is the Nokia flagship phone?
    05-01-2014 10:02 AM
    Nokia is trusted in dumb phones, not in smartphones. Nokia can only sell low end models, sales in the high end are close to zero. The inexpensive low end smartphone is the replacement of the dumb phone, people buy those phones using "dumb phone logic".
    Lately Nokia was trying Android, what tier did they choose? Low end, because is closer to their attributes.
    totally disagree with this, Microsoft will continue to develop the WP as they were doing earlier, yep this is true that we will see some new innovations and that was we used to see earlier from NOKIA too!! So it was not like NOKIA was a dumb company, Nokia chose Windows OS and they were doing great work!!!!!!
    praveen9663 likes this.
    05-01-2014 11:24 AM
    Most logical decision would be to just use Lumia as the brand. Keep "Microsoft" off the phones though for sure. Will miss Nokia brand but I guess it's got to go.
    05-01-2014 11:45 AM
    Stephen Elop has confirmed that branding will be removed as MS will soon have no rights to use NOKIA as a brand name.
    I am from India and here i guess there are some people who buy windows phone as IT WAS produced by NOKIA.
    Do you have a link to that story?
    05-01-2014 03:56 PM
    I feel they need to keep the Nokia branding outside of the US for an extended period. In the USA it will not matter as much because the Microsoft brand is so strong on it's own. In Europe and India it'd be foolish to drop the Nokia brand because it has earned customer loyalty over the last few decades. Europe is currently the best market for Windows Phone so I hope they don't trash their only strong market by dropping the well-known and loyalty inspiring Nokia brand there.

Samsung makes amazing screens and really good devices, overall, but I really enjoy the solid feel of the Nokia phones. All of my iPhone friends are running around with their 2nd or 3rd shattered screen like it's just an inescapable fact of life. My wife dropped her 920 onto pavement at least 3x that I am aware of and it suffered no visible damage. There is real value in the Nokia brand and not just their hardware production facilities.
    05-01-2014 04:07 PM
    I thought there was a front page story here, that said they were keeping "Nokia" as a brand for the smartphones for a while, but no timetable was announced.
    AngrySprintUser likes this.
    05-01-2014 04:21 PM

I disagree with this.

Nokia doesn't have a negative stigma attached to it. Most of the world loves Nokia. The US is mainly indifferent. There isn't a negative stigma. It's just a "they still make phones?" thing.

Unlike Blackberry, Nokia didn't go through some long drawn out failure in the US. Instead, they went from being one of the top and most popular OEMs to just disappearing. They were nowhere to be found. People assumed that they got out of the business... or at least in the US they got out of the business.

​Coming back, people loved their build quality and their phones. But WP just didn't have enough mindshare. A lot of people still barely knew Nokia was back.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-01-2014 06:47 PM
    The Nokia brand can and will be used only on phones already on the market (Lumia 925, 1020, 1520 etc) and on phones that where presented by Nokia prior to the completion of the deal (Lumia 630 and L930). After that, according to the terms of the deal, Microsoft should not be allowed to use the Nokia brand anymore.
    Which also falls in line with what Eflop said on the AMA.

So you'll still be seeing the 930 coming with the Nokia brand in June. But the likes of Goldfinger and Superman will most likely not come with the Nokia brand anymore unless Microsoft manages a special licensing agreement with Nokia to extend the rights to using the Nokia name on smartphones until around the end of 2015 (because, come 2016, Nokia can return to phones).

Does it matter? Yes. It matters in all the markets where Windows Phone has any considerable relevance now - European markets.
    Like it or not, the World doesn't revolve around the US, and when it comes to Windows Phone, there's a lot more loving coming out of Europe than the US. And in the European markets the Nokia brand is what sold the phones. The moment it's removed it will have an effect on the sales next to the European consumers. Positive or negative, we'll see.
    I've said more than once that it will have a negative impact in Europe. People who bought because of the Nokia brand will look for other trusted brands and Microsoft isn't one of them. Which is why Microsoft should work really hard to bring other OEMs to the WP scene and to convince current OEMs like Samsung and HTC to take the platform more seriously. That way, the bleeding they'll suffer from the disappearance of Nokia phones can be minimized by directing people to other OEMs while keeping them within the WP ecosystem.
    Because, lets face it, Microsoft will not make any profits out of Microsoft Mobile, just like they can't make them out of Surface or Xbox. They may minimize the losses, but it won't make them profits.
    05-01-2014 06:47 PM
    The main reason I bought a Lumia 800 was because it was Nokia. If it had been the exact same phone I wouldn't have gone near it, and would have stuck with Android.

I then went to the 920 as it was Windows Phone, but more importantly, Nokia.

I'm kind of disappointed that Nokia is now, basically, Microsoft. It puts me off the brand a little. For me, I'd like them to keep Nokia.

I like having a phone from a European company as opposed to Asian, or American.

-From Ireland
    05-01-2014 07:22 PM
    The main reason I bought a Lumia 800 was because it was Nokia. If it had been the exact same phone I wouldn't have gone near it, and would have stuck with Android.

I then went to the 920 as it was Windows Phone, but more importantly, Nokia.

I'm kind of disappointed that Nokia is now, basically, Microsoft. It puts me off the brand a little. For me, I'd like them to keep Nokia.

I like having a phone from a European company as opposed to Asian, or American.

-From Ireland
    Actually, it's because Nokia is not part of Microsoft that Microsoft can't use the brand. Otherwise your feelings are pretty much shared by everyone I know who owns a WP.

As for having an European brand...I would prefer it too. But now the only option is the Nokia-funded and by-ex-Nokia-engineers-created Jolla.
    praveen9663 likes this.
    05-01-2014 07:28 PM
    I love Nokia, I was sad at first, BUT I will keep it cool and will support WP 8.1 no matter what, at the end what if other OEMs bring better quality? a Sony WP 8.1 would be amazing! I'd love to have it as I loved their XPeria Line of products
    DJCBS, Dk92 and BIGPADDY like this.
    05-01-2014 07:51 PM
59 123