I'm not a fan of Google or their data-mining business plan, and I typically use MS services for everything. However, there are two exceptions: YouTube and, more recently, Google Maps. The old Google Maps was fine, but I used Bing or HERE instead as I found them to have similar functionality. Recently, I saw a plug-in of the new Google Maps which brought me to the main page. I discovered the new Google Maps is downright beautiful and amazingly designed. They're full page maps with a single search bar for everything- directions, destination search, transit, etc. I would recommend checking it out if you have not already. It's genius. I don't know why MS didn't think to re-design maps in this way.

The point this brings me to is whether MS is being innovative in their services devision. For U.S. users, I still think Bing rivals Google perfectly well, and I choose Bing out of preference. But from an innovation standpoint, Google is making smarter moves, such as removing underlines from their URL links, the new Google Maps, customizable app launcher, Google Play, etc. Microsoft's service devisions need to be improving. They are already in second place, so they they need to be incredibly creative in their approach. Aside from Office, there is no MS service which Google's ecosystem cannot compete.

Was wondering if other people you think MS is doing enough in their services devision and what they could do to improve.

I think full-featured international availability for Microsoft services would be a good place to start, followed by a re-branded, all-in-one content store (rather than Podcasts, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, Windows Store, third-party book app, etc), and some creative UI design for their web services.
    05-05-2014 03:57 PM
    you have to look at it this way. Google is born as a services company while Microsoft was born as a software company and is now changing to devices and services. Google is now changing to have some softwares and devices as well. They're on a merging course in term of breadth but their depths obviously vary because of their roots.
    05-05-2014 04:03 PM
    Google was born an ADVERTIZING company. Not at all born on services. Services came later.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-06-2014 01:30 PM
    Google was born an ADVERTIZING company. Not at all born on services. Services came later.
    Google did not start selling ads until 2000. Its first service was its search engine.
    Guytronic, jmshub and ajst222 like this.
    05-06-2014 01:36 PM
    I don't think Microsoft (at least right now) needs to do anything special with their services as I think they rival Google's well and I think they have their own distinct design and UI which definitely helps compared to Google's generally bland (my opinion) UI for things like Gmail and Drive.
    05-06-2014 06:38 PM
    Biggest thing is just getting ALL of their services rolled out internationally. They have way too many gaps for a Services company.

I'm sure folks can come up with a million specific features they'd like. Personally I'd like to see better integration between OneDrive and Xbox music/video. Let me keep my personal media collection in there and access remotely from any Windows device or Xbox. Right now it's more like "one drive for everything... except media".
    05-06-2014 07:47 PM
    Biggest thing is just getting ALL of their services rolled out internationally. They have way too many gaps for a Services company.
    I agree with this. I think that Microsoft is too US-centric. Their services at least rival Google's, and some are much better. However, Google seems to have much better international presence. The best service in the world is no good to me if it's not in my part of the world!
    Laura Knotek and Byrese like this.
    05-06-2014 07:53 PM
    I agree with this. I think that Microsoft is too US-centric. Their services at least rival Google's, and some are much better. However, Google seems to have much better international presence. The best service in the world is no good to me if it's not in my part of the world!
    Yes!
    05-06-2014 07:55 PM