05-16-2014 07:43 AM
158 1234 ...
tools
    Microsoft is a interesting company I think. They do so many things that are key to having the world work like it does (windows, office, etc.) yet it goes unrecognized or taken for granted I think. It's only once those things stop working do people seem to care. I mean, business seems to practically run on Microsoft products and services. If something happened to windows or office, it would have massive reprocussions I think. There kind of like IBM in that regard.

But I do think MS still has a marketing problem and a image one . With windows 8 and the Xbox one debacle that happened, I think people may be perceiving them as a company that either puts out products that aren't good or that they can't ever commit to anything. I don't know how they fix that outside of just release great products continually for a certain number of years.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-08-2014 04:09 AM
    I think the problem is beyond marketing. As others have mentioned, once people get used to something, they don't like change, even if the change is a little be better.

For Windows Phone to succeed, they have to be able to do things iPhone and Android cannot do. And things that are important to people. For me, WP's biggest selling point is offline maps and overall more offline capabilities (Nokia Mix Radio allowing offline playlists, etc) so as to not eat up my monthly allotment. But not everyone cares about that. So Windows Phone has to have revolutionary features that the other OSes don't have and that the mass market cares about to get people to change.

For instance, if Cortana can really evolve to be a useful personal assistant, that could change the game. But it is a long way from there right now. If WP can do some things revolutionary, the marketing will happen. That's the harder problem.
    Ek-Balam likes this.
    05-08-2014 08:08 AM
    Will Microsoft succeed,hells yes.

Let's see,119% increase in phone sales,ya think😉

Now I'll relate to you what happened this very morning at work.

#1 coworker # 2 coworker watching me playing around with Blink..simple app right...both have GNote 3's..guess what,both immediately went to the store to download it..didn't happen...#1 coworker is going to get a 1520 like mine (he was on the fence after playing around with mine last week) this pushed him over it😎 Coworker #2 really ticked off and said...I quote...I didn't think WP had any cool apps...end quotes...Coworker #1 said to him," you don't want to see everything his can do or you'll be really po'd.."

Both guys are/were diehard Droidheads

It's all a misconception of what good WP can actually do,while differences scare some away,most folks that are a little curious will look,and most will like what they see. The more they use it,the sooner they will get one.

Oh...coworker #2 asked me if mine showed a dot above the screen like his did.I said no and never had a issue where I didn't know where I was pointing 😆

I agree Microsoft needs some good marketing people who can breathe new life into their strategy plans and have nothing to do with Xbox 🎮 in any manner whatsoever. Many adults who aren't gamers' think that this is all these phones are good for,and they are capable of so much more.

They need a complete overhaul of their goals,and to do that they need to focus more showing that it's more than a extension of a game console.

Mac
    prasath1234 likes this.
    05-08-2014 08:39 AM
    Yeah it is perception and it is not entirely without cause. WP is different in looks and it does lack some apps that others on other platforms are used too. People like what is familiar and Android or iOS are familiar as it is what is most common. WP is vastly different and BB10 is even more so.
    05-08-2014 10:12 AM
    A big problem that I see is the Music experience - many people purchase "smart phones" as their primary music player and WP (and the XBox garbage excuse for a music player) is a total turnoff. IMHO, the popularity of the Iphone is due in large part to the excellence of its music experience - the WP music player cannot even start playing where you left off.
    Makes me wonder what MS is thinking (or more probably if they're thinking at all)
    05-08-2014 10:21 AM
    My sister says the same thing. She loves the features of my Nokia Icon but she refuses to learn a whole new platform she is more comfortable with her iPhone although she does say that she over paid for her iPhone when there are some features that WP8.1 has that she really wants.
    05-08-2014 10:24 AM
    That's interesting to me as Microsoft's original Windows Phone campaign was focused around quickly doing what you needed to do and getting on with your life, and that's what originally appealed to me (back with WP 7). I like that WP is different, and as long as it has enough business to stay afloat I don't mind it lagging behind the other two platforms (just not too far!)

I feel like teens are a lost cause right now with WP, just because socially they need things the same time as their peers, and need the same apps as their peers. I think WP is much easier to learn and would be more appealing to people who require a little less app support. WP has a lot going for it: the camera is by far the most important phone feature and Nokia (now Microsoft Mobile) kills everyone in that area especially in non-ideal light situations. If everyone was honest with each other I think they would agree Live Tiles are way more functional than the static icons on both other platforms. WP is getting footing in emerging markets, and has held its ground against very long odds.

I know the iPhone has changed a lot since the original but overall I feel like the jumps, especially to the outsider, have been small, particularly aesthetically with the OS. But I don't think WP is going to take away many iPhone users, the fandom there is too great right now. But I think with a few very high end devices, some Android users would switch.
    Ek-Balam and prasath1234 like this.
    05-08-2014 10:47 AM
    I think this is a local issue in the US, which is known to have a particularly Maoist attitude to mobile phones. All MS need do is to make a WP that looks like an iPhone (since Apple have already made their OS look like Windows). Sort of like the way Nokia made an Android that looked like a WP. Then US customers could safely buy it without the fear of being ostracised by society.
    05-08-2014 11:16 AM
    I think this is a local issue in the US, which is known to have a particularly Maoist attitude to mobile phones. All MS need do is to make a WP that looks like an iPhone (since Apple have already made their OS look like Windows). Sort of like the way Nokia made an Android that looked like a WP. Then US customers could safely buy it without the fear of being ostracised by society.
    If they do it that way they will land in patent trouble apple will sue them for copying thier designs lol:D:p

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    A895 likes this.
    05-08-2014 11:21 AM
    Although I'll respect their choice I don't agree with it. Changes are "always scary" for many and they don't like it. If I would have been in that situation I would have shown my daughter and wife that life isn't as easy as we wanted and life brings lots of changes to our lifes often every day and sometimes it takes awhile. Don't be afraid of change embrace it instead try it if you don't like it just go back. No trying to tell you how to manage your family but this would had been the perfect time to tell them specially your kid : Hey, you know when you change school that's new when you go to college that's new, so aren't you going because is different and you don't want to learn something different? And to your wife what are you going to do when the kids change school and go to college? That's different? Just to show them we can not be lazy to try new things specially in the way technology is moving. I had that issue with my wife as well. When the HTC radar came out I told my wife here is something new let's get this flip phones a kick she say and I quote "that looks to complicated" two years later she wanted a new phone . Guess what she wants? Yep, a WP. She tried Android and iPhone and she didn't like she told me that WP was easier to use. Plus the little apps she uses have been there. Btw blessings to your family.
    Last edited by Jorge Holguin; 05-08-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    05-08-2014 11:32 AM
    If they do it that way they will land in patent trouble apple will sue them for copying thier designs lol:D:p

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    No more than the risk Apple took by making their mobile OS look like Windows, surely?
    05-08-2014 11:41 AM
    Since my school days,I've always been known to be different & thats also probably why I chose WP over iOS & Droid, even though pretty much everyone around me has them.
    In my opinion with the 8.1, WPs are much better than the other two as long as they can win in the app market .
    05-08-2014 12:14 PM
    As the smartphone becomes more important in people's life, there is a bigger risk in trying new things. It's not a toy anymore, It can't fail.

Only geeks, a small fraction of the population, enjoy installing Linux and learning a new OS.
    A895 likes this.
    05-08-2014 01:05 PM
    I think everyone is missing an important fact. 35% of cell phone users are still using feature phones and this is where Microsoft needs to focus. They need to try to capture the new smartphone owners that have no history with I phone or android. In addition to increased marketing and advertising as mentioned above I would give mid level window phones to customers feature phones customers for free and give them high level phones at a 60-75% discount. These people need a reason to try something other than what their friends and family are using.
    05-08-2014 01:08 PM
    Yeah it is perception and it is not entirely without cause. WP is different in looks and it does lack some apps that others on other platforms are used too. People like what is familiar and Android or iOS are familiar as it is what is most common. WP is vastly different and BB10 is even more so.
    05-08-2014 01:17 PM
    BTW: what did you decide on for a phone? Did you go with windows phone? I know you were debating getting one.
    05-08-2014 01:19 PM
    Yes, Microsoft has a huge uphill battle with consumers. It's not because consumers are too stupid, too resistant to change, too caught up in fads, too fearful of the unknown, or any of the other reasons given in this thread.

Microsoft has a huge uphill battle with consumers because it is still embracing the tunnel-vision of "if we make it, they'll buy it simply because we made it" and they continue to lack long-term commitment in the consumer space. (XBox is the lone exception) Windows Mobile 6.5, Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 8 each were incompatible with the preceding version. How many times can a company "reboot" their offerings and expect to gain traction? How many people embraced the stop-gap WM 6.5 only to have their device obsoleted by WP7? And then again with WP8? That is NOT the way to gain customer loyalty.

They did the same thing with the Zune... a year after introducing the Zune 30 with a themed version of Windows Media Player (Zune software 1.x), they rebooted the brand with the Zune 80 and Zune 2.0. It was clearly a dramatic and disconnecting change that immediately made the Zune 30 look and feel antiquated.

Incrementalism! Create a stable and solid experience. Iron out the kinks and don't settle for allowing the niggling little irritants to continue simply because they're little. Let each generation of device build upon and extend from the previous generation without making the previous generation look and feel obsolete.

What I mean when I say, "if we make it, they'll buy it simply because we made it", I'm referring to Microsoft simply including technical specs and capabilities that surpass what the competition offers without showcasing how and why those specs and capabilities translate into a better user experience. Microsoft produces the Surface and they think that the best way to get the word out is to run ads of metrosexual hipsters prancing around swapping typecovers?! Really?

How long did it take Apple to be committed to the iPod before it was a mainstream success? There was a point in time when the iPod was new and different without any name recognition, and yet Apple persevered, or was it just luck?

You can blame consumers, but that's not going to win people over to buy product.
    05-08-2014 01:56 PM
    Also marketing the Surface Pro as the only device you need is wrong. Apple has no problem convincing people that they NEED a Macbook AND iPad. The right form factor for the use-case. That's something Microsoft has to learn. The Surface Pro is neither.
    05-08-2014 02:33 PM
    Let each generation of device build upon and extend from the previous generation without making the previous generation look and feel obsolete.
    I agree with your thread, especially in regards to how terrible Microsoft has been in regards to backwards compatibility. However, isn't making previous instances of stuff feel obsolete what innovation is all about? It's about progress and moving forward, to make something much better than what came before. So shouldn't we encourage Microsoft making previous instances of products feel obsolete? After all, that'd mean that the new product significantly improves upon what was already there, and isn't that better for the consumer in the end?
    05-08-2014 03:09 PM
    BTW: what did you decide on for a phone? Did you go with windows phone? I know you were debating getting one.
    Saving up to buy a Lumia Icon or ATIV SE off contract. So I'll probably get it by the fall.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    prasath1234 likes this.
    05-08-2014 03:37 PM
    Pretty hard for MS to overcome when even supposed WP users are slamming them and posting so called what they should be doing. Sorry but none of you (or I) are advertising or design savvy, nor are we super duper programmers, and a lot of things. Just people that complain the other side of the grass is better and by golly MS better step up or we'll leave. I thought computer or camera forums were bad but... oh well I'll just enjoy my wp phone and ignore the silliness that ensues here.
    I'd like to contest the bolded part, my friend.
    forked likes this.
    05-08-2014 05:15 PM
    I agree with your thread, especially in regards to how terrible Microsoft has been in regards to backwards compatibility. However, isn't making previous instances of stuff feel obsolete what innovation is all about? It's about progress and moving forward, to make something much better than what came before. So shouldn't we encourage Microsoft making previous instances of products feel obsolete? After all, that'd mean that the new product significantly improves upon what was already there, and isn't that better for the consumer in the end?
    No, innovation isn't about making the previous generations of a device feel obsolete. It is a fine balance... that is where incrementalism comes in. It is arrogant for a company to produce a follow on generation of a device soon after the previous in a way that instantly makes the previous generation look and feel useless. It makes the early adopters and current customers feel abandoned.

How many times has Microsoft proverbally kicked early adopters in the teeth?

Apple was successful in building their customer base (loyalty) by producing a good product for the current generation. Then producing an upgrade that was a little better here, a little better there. No one area of the device was dramatically better than the previous gen. But taken as a whole, it added up to a significant upgrade. People who purchased a gen "x" iPod didn't feel suckered when Apple produced the "X+1" gen.

Microsoft needs to satisfy the customers of their CURRENT generation so that when it is time to upgrade, they'll be confident in doing so.
    05-08-2014 05:51 PM
    No, innovation isn't about making the previous generations of a device feel obsolete. It is a fine balance... that is where incrementalism comes in. It is arrogant for a company to produce a follow on generation of a device soon after the previous in a way that instantly makes the previous generation look and feel useless. It makes the early adopters and current customers feel abandoned.

How many times has Microsoft proverbally kicked early adopters in the teeth?

Apple was successful in building their customer base (loyalty) by producing a good product for the current generation. Then producing an upgrade that was a little better here, a little better there. No one area of the device was dramatically better than the previous gen. But taken as a whole, it added up to a significant upgrade. People who purchased a gen "x" iPod didn't feel suckered when Apple produced the "X+1" gen.

Microsoft needs to satisfy the customers of their CURRENT generation so that when it is time to upgrade, they'll be confident in doing so.
    Nonsense. Android is the champion of dropping support of old phones and look where they are. It depends in the product life cycle, if the product life cycle is 2-3 years, there is no problem in introducing a new product incompatible with the previous generation every 2-3 years.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    05-08-2014 06:18 PM
    Nonsense. Android is the champion of dropping support of old phones and look where they are. It depends in the product life cycle, if the product life cycle is 2-3 years, there is no problem in introducing a new product incompatible with the previous generation every 2-3 years.
    I bet one of the reasons to get new phone on Android is to get new OS update. I've done this couple times.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    05-08-2014 06:35 PM
    Nonsense? Is it an exclusive-or situation? Only ONE company can fall short? What does the fact that Google drops support for old phones have anything to do with Microsoft's track record in the mobile space? Google gives Android away for free to phone manufacturers. Google sweetened the pot for them. Microsoft historically dictated terms of usage of Windows Mobile -> Windows Phone and only started giving WP8 away a month or so ago.

There was a time, before some here were old enough to read, when Apple was teetering on the verge of insolvency and Microsoft was on the top of the heap of mobile handheld computing and smartphones. What happened? Arrogance at being on top.

There is a far cry from Google's ceasing to support a particular level of Android (Android apps still work on newer version of the OS) and Microsoft's cold dropping app support across OS versions. (ie. Apps developed for WM 6.5 would not run on WP7).
    A895 likes this.
    05-08-2014 06:38 PM
158 1234 ...