Why Microsoft has a huge uphill battle with consumers..

mobile divide

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The first post hits the nail on the head. My wife used Nokia her whole life and then switched to the iPhone with the 4S we both used iPhones until I got my Lumia 920 and now 1020 and she has an iPhone 5S. Whenever it comes to taking pictures or videos of our little one she always reaches for my phone. I show her cool stuff like Cortana and the Facebook integrations, live tiles lockscreen changing apps, offline maps and she loves it all. I asked her if she wanted to move to windows and her reaction was "its so different from my iPhone I just want a phone where I know what I need to do." I think WP8.1 is the best OS at this point especially if you aren't tied to a specific ecosystem but its hard to get people to consider outside their comfort zone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's good that Windows 8 is so similar to Windows Phone in look and feel.

In time, Windows Phone will seem more comfortable because people use Windows 8 at home.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I think everyone is missing an important fact. 35% of cell phone users are still using feature phones and this is where Microsoft needs to focus. They need to try to capture the new smartphone owners that have no history with I phone or android. In addition to increased marketing and advertising as mentioned above I would give mid level window phones to customers feature phones customers for free and give them high level phones at a 60-75% discount. These people need a reason to try something other than what their friends and family are using.

Good idea take the feature phone market shares from the globe.nd convert low end android to wp.price high end products aggressively like lumia 930. Nd give a demo app to all persons when starting the wp phones as a option to wp smartphone begginers.wp can win share from low end android which are a pain to use. Low end android users wait for change lure them into wp they will never go back to android.in my observation those gping for low end android dont play latest nd greatest game they dont care about apps.they want a smartphone.price wp phones in india with price tag of 7000 to 8000.nd see wp growth.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
By buying Nokia for twice that (; . I'm sure Beats and Apple will be perfect for each other. Both sell overpriced products that you can buy for less from their competitors. Its like they were made for each other.

I agree. Am an AKG/FiiO/iBasso/NAD/PSB guy. :)

But Apple buying Beats is different. Both are "on the top" of the Hill already thats MS/Nokia is climbing... hope that makes sense. LOL.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No, innovation isn't about making the previous generations of a device feel obsolete. It is a fine balance... that is where incrementalism comes in. It is arrogant for a company to produce a follow on generation of a device soon after the previous in a way that instantly makes the previous generation look and feel useless. It makes the early adopters and current customers feel abandoned.

How many times has Microsoft proverbally kicked early adopters in the teeth?

Apple was successful in building their customer base (loyalty) by producing a good product for the current generation. Then producing an upgrade that was a little better here, a little better there. No one area of the device was dramatically better than the previous gen. But taken as a whole, it added up to a significant upgrade. People who purchased a gen "x" iPod didn't feel suckered when Apple produced the "X+1" gen.

Microsoft needs to satisfy the customers of their CURRENT generation so that when it is time to upgrade, they'll be confident in doing so.

Hey this is game played by samsung also then why people buying thier latest gadgets. Infact Microsoft is ony company caring for low nd mid end smartphones.they provide to.wp 8.1 to even low end smartphones.but in case of android it is always a miss.android sucks especially in low nd mid end they never see updates.people should realise this low nd mid end are treated as thrash by android oem.for getting a new android os people have to buy a new device.android oems are looting money.galaxy grand will not get kitkat.people spent 20000 rs on getting one now they have to spent another 20000 on upgraded grand.instead they could have brought an flagship phone nd change thier phone's after 2 years .

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Nonsense? Is it an exclusive-or situation? Only ONE company can fall short? What does the fact that Google drops support for old phones have anything to do with Microsoft's track record in the mobile space? Google gives Android away for free to phone manufacturers. Google sweetened the pot for them. Microsoft historically dictated terms of usage of Windows Mobile -> Windows Phone and only started giving WP8 away a month or so ago.

There was a time, before some here were old enough to read, when Apple was teetering on the verge of insolvency and Microsoft was on the top of the heap of mobile handheld computing and smartphones. What happened? Arrogance at being on top.

There is a far cry from Google's ceasing to support a particular level of Android (Android apps still work on newer version of the OS) and Microsoft's cold dropping app support across OS versions. (ie. Apps developed for WM 6.5 would not run on WP7).

To an extent 80% apps work on android old 2.3 devices but not trend apps nd games.in order to have these apps nd games people buy new devices every year sometimes every 6 months.in a way cost of ownership of android is even more than apple or high end wps people dont understand this.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
People don't like change, but using smartphones and tablets were a change from what they had been using before. People don't like different, but smartphones and tablets are different than what they were used to.
So what DO people want? They have no idea and neither do I. People are a confusing mess of contradictions and illogic, thus Windows Phone's marketshare ...

People want latest nd greatest apps.so if they are not there people shun away thats the reason wp has low market share.as a os it is best.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
iOS and Android happened. The development of these OSs started in 2003. I guess Microsoft started the development of Windows Phone 7 the next day after the iPhone was presented by Jobs in 2007. So, 4 years is too late even for Microsoft.
Maybe they could have waited a year more to use in WP7 the same core they were developing for Windows 8, giving you the backward compatibility you demand, but WP would be dead like BlackBerry 10.

That wont happen infact i can bet wp will steal feature phone market share nd low end android share that will happen in emerging countries maybe in America it may loose market share not in emerging countries.people now believe they want a smartphone thats should run smooth nd wp 8.1 fits the bill.:thumbup::p

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
OP's analysis of the reasons for a huge uphill battle are mostly right. It's a good commentary on the human condition. The way to make it a downhill battle is for MS to focus on developing an outstanding product. It may take a while for it to catch on but it will eventually if it's high quality.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Plain and simple, Microsoft needs better advertising. They need to tell people why their products are better than anyone elses and they need to do it in a clear and simple manner. They also need to make sure there are apps available. And for the most popular apps, they should offer to send someone (for free) to them to help (train) them develop an app. They have to do what they can to get these apps in the store. It may be a short term loss but long term, it will benefit them.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
what finally pushed you over the edge if you dont mind me asking?

The user experience the tiles are very modern and fit into my ecosystem (I use primarily Microsoft services). I am by no means abandoning Android, I'll still keep my Droid RAZR M for a backup, but for my daily driver I'll use Windows phone, if it does not work out I can always sell it or return it. My biggest concern is no Google services but I think I'll be alright.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I can add up to your story from my experience in Taiwan. The WP adoption over here is low for a variety of reasons of course. However, one of the reasons is that "It's too different, too complicated, the don't understand it". Now, i have been ranting about WP and its shortcomings since the day got mine and the impression is not enthusiastic to date. But if there is a thing i can't disagree more is that WP is "Difficult". The learning curve to use the OS is near 0. It's mostly automated and except for the way menu items are categorized, the rest is a breeze. You have a point there, some people just reject the idea of plainly changing, even if that change is for the better.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They need to tell people why their products are better than anyone elses and they need to do it in a clear and simple manner.

And thats the real question, isnt it? If we look at the Microsoft ecosystem honestly and impartially, is there really anything that puts it above what is offered on ios or android? At best I would put it on par (and considering the app situation that's being generous) but personally I dont think MS offers anything really uniquely better than the competition. Till that changes consumers will continue to overlook Microsoft's offerings.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
There's just enough proven research that you can't really change the perception of those who aren't open to change.

Microsoft could cure cancer, and some people still won't utilize their products.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Okay let me break this down for everyone. Windows phone faces an uphill battle, Microsoft is doing just fine. While Andriod holds an enormous advantage in market share for mobile services, Windows 7 is still the most used non-mobile OS and not by the small margin. What OS is next...XP. Windows 8 is growing faster then WP is. Xbox is setting records with sales and they just started launching in the Asian markets where the PS4 was reigning. So while I would agree that Window Phone faces an uphill battle, one that they entered into looking up, they're doing pretty well in other places.

K Raghu

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft could

a) advertise more on TV... other than folks here on WPcentral or (nokia) Conversation. who else knows about it...
b) Handout more of the 520/630/920/1020 through the stores to the users instead of handing out discounts...
c) Also advertise the offline music of Music player... (Nokia) Music player and say its better than downloading mp3s from youtube.
d) Advertise office is free with the phone
e) Phone has offline mapping capability...
f) Target Corporates and move them to Windows phone..

Before that
a) Include file explorer option in WP.
b) better audio support.Audio from WP doesn't sound as good as other phones..
c) Include SD card support in most of the phones.

at least we would have more phone usage and people get to know it...

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The user experience the tiles are very modern and fit into my ecosystem (I use primarily Microsoft services). I am by no means abandoning Android, I'll still keep my Droid RAZR M for a backup, but for my daily driver I'll use Windows phone, if it does not work out I can always sell it or return it. My biggest concern is no Google services but I think I'll be alright.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

My main concern is still apps and app support. I don't like that some apps I use haven't been updated in like a year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)