Why Microsoft has a huge uphill battle with consumers..

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
My main concern is still apps and app support. I don't like that some apps I use haven't been updated in like a year.

I feel you, that's why I am giving it time. I am also considering an HTC M8. I nay stay with Android because I won't have to move around so much. I hat that WP is so dependant on Microsoft, because if you don't go all in with Microsoft on WP you are going to have a sub par experience. I rely on Google a lot, especially when my college semester was in full swing, I type up whole papers on Google Drive, type notes into Google Keep on my laptop, view PDFs and docs on Quick office on my phone. I used Microsoft word twice during my whole 1st semester in college, that tells you how much Google Drive has stepped up.

Also apps that are new (popular apps) come in Android and iOS first so it hard we to see them on WP as well and I love trying new apps. Like how Android just got Yahoo News Digest and I am using it now on my Android phone. Who knows if Yahoo will ever make a WP app?

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I feel you, that's why I am giving it time. I am also considering an HTC M8. I nay stay with Android because I won't have to move around so much. I hat that WP is so dependant on Microsoft, because if you don't go all in with Microsoft on WP you are going to have a sub par experience. I rely on Google a lot, especially when my college semester was in full swing, I type up whole papers on Google Drive, type notes into Google Keep on my laptop, view PDFs and docs on Quick office on my phone. I used Microsoft word twice during my whole 1st semester in college, that tells you how much Google Drive has stepped up.

Also apps that are new (popular apps) come in Android and iOS first so it hard we to see them on WP as well and I love trying new apps. Like how Android just got Yahoo News Digest and I am using it now on my Android phone. Who knows if Yahoo will ever make a WP app?

True . Honestly thinking if selling my 5S to get a nexus 5 or something. But I wasn't a fan of it's battery life. Thought also about maybe getting a Moto G :p just so I can pocket a good amount of money from selling the 5S

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
True . Honestly thinking if selling my 5S to get a nexus 5 or something. But I wasn't a fan of it's battery life. Thought also about maybe getting a Moto G :p just so I can pocket a good amount of money from selling the 5S
I've stayed with my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1 on StraightTalk because of the amazing battery life. The only smartphone to top it is my Lumia 520. I briefly tried WP8.1 on it and love a lot of what's going on with it, but it is too unfinished in its beta state (duh), so I'm waiting until 8.1 is officially released. Then I'll switch back to the 520.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Not sure I follow you. Why wouldn't WP be tied into Microsoft? That's like Android not being tied into Google. Being a Chief in the Navy, I put together presentations seen all over the country as I work at a training command. Working on my BA, its seem less on my Surface first gen, not having to have the latest gadget to be compatible with the latest OS version like Android. I've made some last minute changes on my presentations via my phone more than anywhere else. That's something you cant do at least without a price for Office.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Not sure I follow you. Why wouldn't WP be tied into Microsoft? That's like Android not being tied into Google. Being a Chief in the Navy, I put together presentations seen all over the country as I work at a training command. Working on my BA, its seem less on my Surface first gen, not having to have the latest gadget to be compatible with the latest OS version like Android. I've made some last minute changes on my presentations via my phone more than anywhere else. That's something you cant do at least without a price for Office.

I mean Microsoft is so fined tune with everything in WP that you have no choice to use their services. You can get by avoiding Google all together in Android but Microsoft is their stuff or you are SOL. No you do not have to buy the latest phone to get the latest OS on Android and just like WP you can edit presentations did it on my phone a couple times this past semester.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
As for Yahoo news....I'll stick with Bing News, or any of Bings apps for that matter.

No yahoo has a new app that takes the top stories from all news sites and it is summarized into a 4-5 paragraph summary of everything and it takes the top story in different categories (Politics, World News, Business, etc.) and shows these tops stories twice a day at 8 A.M. and 6 P.M. so you can get the latest news before work/school and after. Its very nicely design too. Its always the top 10 stories. It very nice and is one of the best news apps I have ever seen. When you go to a story it also has links too recent tweets on it, any definitions that you may need to know and more pics.

Attachments

• 1399774137095.jpg
    1399774137095.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1399774149085.jpg
    1399774149085.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
WP sure has a way to go. But, at the same time I think is growing pretty fast and not in marketshare but in the OS itself.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I know friends of mine often complain about the newest apps and not being updated fluidly through all phones being able to upgrade to jellybean, ice cream sandwich, or kitkat seamlessly. I never said you couldn't edit with office, but you have to pay for it. I want an extension of my enterprise network and that's what WP purpose is. Its the integration that MS is cashing on.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I've stayed with my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1 on StraightTalk because of the amazing battery life. The only smartphone to top it is my Lumia 520. I briefly tried WP8.1 on it and love a lot of what's going on with it, but it is too unfinished in its beta state (duh), so I'm waiting until 8.1 is officially released. Then I'll switch back to the 520.

Well, I'm also wondering if I should just buy my friends Lumia 920 off of him. I've bee using it for about a month as a wifi side device, and 8.1 fixed alot if things I think. Still app issues, but its kinda a temp thing I think. I can buy it off him for 150. Or I can just pick up a Moto g for about the same price. I could then sell my 5S for about 500 or so on eBay. And use that towards car repairs and the like.

Or just hang onto the 5S and just save up for those repairs. I'm not getting much work right now, though. Hours got cut.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm also wondering if I should just buy my friends Lumia 920 off of him. I've bee using it for about a month as a wifi side device, and 8.1 fixed alot if things I think. Still app issues, but its kinda a temp thing I think. I can buy it off him for 150. Or I can just pick up a Moto g for about the same price. I could then sell my 5S for about 500 or so on eBay. And use that towards car repairs and the like.

Or just hang onto the 5S and just save up for those repairs. I'm not getting much work right now, though. Hours got cut.

Sell the 5S and get the Moto G. Better to go for a sure thing and have the cash instead of getting stuck on a phone you may not like down the road. I stopped toying with the idea of WP because I realize now I use too much of Google and certain function that would be missing in WP. Though I may look at it again next year, for now though I need the best functionality right now for my services and Android is just that. Some may not agree with this, but I rather be safe than sorry.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
So if WP has around 4% global market share, does this really mean that 96% of people either need to always have the latest and greatest apps, hate change so much that they are not open to trying anything new even though they were open to trying the iPhone or Android and have even switched back and forth, or hate Microsoft and/or Windows so much that they would never consider buying a WP regardless of price or features?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So if WP has around 4% global market share, does this really mean that 96% of people either need to always have the latest and greatest apps, hate change so much that they are not open to trying anything new even though they were open to trying the iPhone or Android and have even switched back and forth, or hate Microsoft and/or Windows so much that they would never consider buying a WP regardless of price or features?

You about summed it up.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
You about summed it up.

Maybe so, but I still feel that 96% is an unusually high percentage of people unwilling to switch. I think we are missing something here. There were tons of Blackberries out there. Almost all of them switched. Everyone switched from MySpace to Facebook, right? People switch carriers all the time. People switch jobs because they want something more stable. Isn't WP more stable than Android? Okay, wait, we are talking about stability in a different context. WP is far more stable as far as OS is concerned but how many people are unwilling to switch because they are concerned that WP may not survive? How many because any local place you go and they say download our app, we support both iPhone and Android with no mention of Windows Phone. How many because all of their friends have an iPhone 5S or a Galaxy S5?
Do these all add up to 96% of people? What about all the people who don't care about apps and just want a phone that works, especially those in the 50+ age group? Do they all buy dumbphones or cheap Android phones that crash all the time? Or iPhones just because of the name?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Maybe so, but I still feel that 96% is an unusually high percentage of people unwilling to switch. I think we are missing something here. There were tons of Blackberries out there. Almost all of them switched. Everyone switched from MySpace to Facebook, right? People switch carriers all the time. People switch jobs because they want something more stable. Isn't WP more stable than Android? Okay, wait, we are talking about stability in a different context. WP is far more stable as far as OS is concerned but how many people are unwilling to switch because they are concerned that WP may not survive? How many because any local place you go and they say download our app, we support both iPhone and Android with no mention of Windows Phone. How many because all of their friends have an iPhone 5S or a Galaxy S5?
Do these all add up to 96% of people? What about all the people who don't care about apps and just want a phone that works, especially those in the 50+ age group? Do they all buy dumbphones or cheap Android phones that crash all the time? Or iPhones just because of the name?

You are answering your own questions. There are some who want a phone just for the texts and calls and a dumb phone works fine for them. This is why there is an uphill battle for Microsoft as far as WP is concerned. Those who get their first smartphone more often than not get the latest from Android or Apple because their friends or family has one too and the majority of people who want a smartphone has one by now. So uphill battle and then some for Microsoft.

I still think they should throw $$$$ at the developers to get the apps that people use to get some more momentum with consumers otherwise WP is going to have very little gains (7% worldwide by 2018 someone said on this forum) and that won't get Developers on the WP train. Only money will.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Sell the 5S and get the Moto G. Better to go for a sure thing and have the cash instead of getting stuck on a phone you may not like down the road. I stopped toying with the idea of WP because I realize now I use too much of Google and certain function that would be missing in WP. Though I may look at it again next year, for now though I need the best functionality right now for my services and Android is just that. Some may not agree with this, but I rather be safe than sorry.

From Wikipedia: "The concern troll posts in Web forums devoted to its declared point of view and attempts to sway the group's actions or opinions while claiming to share their goals, but with professed "concerns". The goal is to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt within the group."

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
From Wikipedia: "The concern troll posts in Web forums devoted to its declared point of view and attempts to sway the group's actions or opinions while claiming to share their goals, but with professed "concerns". The goal is to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt within the group."

If you kept up with that particular user, he is now contemplating staying with his iOS products. And if you really were intelligent, nothing I said was trolling. But go ahead and point fingers.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
If you kept up with that particular user, he is now contemplating staying with his iOS products. And if you really were intelligent, nothing I said was trolling. But go ahead and point fingers.

I could easily go to the Android forum and feign interest in Android phones by saying I am considering them in the future. I could then defend against all negative comments toward Windows Phone and regularly try to encourage people there to switch to Windows Phone because I have "doubts" about Android. And I'd be a concern troll. I'm calling a spade a spade and you know exactly what you're doing so don't pretend otherwise.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I could easily go to the Android forum and feign interest in Android phones by saying I am considering them in the future. I could then defend against all negative comments toward Windows Phone and regularly try to encourage people there to switch to Windows Phone because I have "doubts" about Android. And I'd be a concern troll. I'm calling a spade a spade and you know exactly what you're doing so don't pretend otherwise.

I was considering them in the future, but being the Google services users and weighing my pros and cons I stayed on Android. I DO NOT say "hey everyone Android is better leave WP". I want to stop misconceptions of Android. Peoples perceptions of other OS's is skewed heavily and common misconceptions (especially when someone has't even looked at Android in the past year) are not helpful. I would hope that on a forums people are honest and not just exaggerating and saying bald faced mistruths but unfortunately it happens here and even more often on CrackBerry than anywhere else I have seen in Mobile Nations. If my defending on misconceptions on Android are wrong then by all means point it out, but just calling me troll does not add to the discussion. It derails the thread, so therefore I will not be responding to you anymore and I hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
It's not just apps that is the problem,but biases and outright ignorance of WP in general too.

Tell me,what Google services are you missing on WP these days. Everyday I see folks saying this and I have to wonder if they have bothered looking in the WP store for them. Sure I know there are certain regional apps that might be missing you need,but what Google services are you talking about. The hub is there,as too the cloud and also their Email,Maps,and search so exactly what is missing?

Mac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss