Why Microsoft has a huge uphill battle with consumers..

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Two generations but from the same house and genes doesn't seem to be as a good basis of how people look at WP. Maybe you're not good at influencing your child, you know.

Additionally, people who saw my old Lumia 625 and my current phone, 1520, are amazed at my phones. These people not only include my relatives but also my co-workers.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

And? Does that men's they are going to go buy it? Anyone can be interested in something does not mean they are going to buy it with their own money.

Like when people over in CrackBerry talk about how peoples "eyes glazed over" when seeing BB10 (highly unlikely) when in reality no one is about to spend their own cash just to try something out.

At that I don't understand why you have to make someone (least of all your family) like something, if they don't like it, keep it moving, trying to force your choice in OS is not becoming of anyone.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
The real battle is with the younglings; the teens and tweens. Fitting in is everything and no one wants to stand out with phone tech when socially fitting in is so hard anyway. I was on a tram recently and was standing (of course kids don't give up their seats, they're kids) and looking down onto the screens of eight or ten iPhones. It was numbing that there is so little thought. It's trainer culture. Onesie culture. I have because she has one because he has one.

Microsoft want to get One Direction or 5 Seconds of Summer or a dozen other zeitgeist boy bands using and promoting the WP ecosystem - that's the way to get the tide to turn. Kids are the next generation of phone users. It's no good selling them the idea of offline maps or 41MP technology or Cortana telling them where the nearest theatre is when they just want to Snapchat, Facebook and Whatsapp themselves to death while playing Monkey Tennis (the next big Flappy Bird).

Get some big celebrity names using the phones and showcasing the teen apps of choice and it will grow for the future.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Maybe so, but I still feel that 96% is an unusually high percentage of people unwilling to switch. I think we are missing something here. There were tons of Blackberries out there. Almost all of them switched. Everyone switched from MySpace to Facebook, right? People switch carriers all the time. People switch jobs because they want something more stable. Isn't WP more stable than Android? Okay, wait, we are talking about stability in a different context. WP is far more stable as far as OS is concerned but how many people are unwilling to switch because they are concerned that WP may not survive? How many because any local place you go and they say download our app, we support both iPhone and Android with no mention of Windows Phone. How many because all of their friends have an iPhone 5S or a Galaxy S5?
Do these all add up to 96% of people? What about all the people who don't care about apps and just want a phone that works, especially those in the 50+ age group? Do they all buy dumbphones or cheap Android phones that crash all the time? Or iPhones just because of the name?
I love yyour questions. And ultimately, the answers are alot more complex and involved than some want to believe

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
People don't like change. I just can't stand when people don't try a Windows Phone or no nothing about it and claim their the OS is the best.

I like to be comfortable with my smartphone too. Therefore, if I get an Android device, it has to be off contract just in case I'm not comfortable with it and I'm not stuck with the phone for 2 years

Sent from my iPod touch using WPCentral Forums

I see no problem in praising your chosen phone, even if you haven't tried another platform. As long as you acknowledge the possibility there might be better out there.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The real battle is with the younglings; the teens and tweens. Fitting in is everything and no one wants to stand out with phone tech when socially fitting in is so hard anyway. I was on a tram recently and was standing (of course kids don't give up their seats, they're kids) and looking down onto the screens of eight or ten iPhones. It was numbing that there is so little thought. It's trainer culture. Onesie culture. I have because she has one because he has one.

Microsoft want to get One Direction or 5 Seconds of Summer or a dozen other zeitgeist boy bands using and promoting the WP ecosystem - that's the way to get the tide to turn. Kids are the next generation of phone users. It's no good selling them the idea of offline maps or 41MP technology or Cortana telling them where the nearest theatre is when they just want to Snapchat, Facebook and Whatsapp themselves to death while playing Monkey Tennis (the next big Flappy Bird).

Get some big celebrity names using the phones and showcasing the teen apps of choice and it will grow for the future.

That was I was saying before, unless Microsoft gets the new and popular apps on board, it will definitely be an uphill battle with consumers. More than ever casual users make up smartphone marketshare and they demand that the apps and games that are new and popular with friends are on their device as well.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't like the way you generalize 2 generations of smartphone users when the two people you've mentioned have the same genes and even at the same house. Their personality may be close; that's why they agreed at the same thing.

He was talking about the waiter too.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's good that Windows 8 is so similar to Windows Phone in look and feel.

In time, Windows Phone will seem more comfortable because people use Windows 8 at home.
That all depends how they use it. I have Win 8 on my laptop and hardly ever use the Modern UI - even with a touch screen. If people have Windows 8 tablets, then they will.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That all depends how they use it. I have Win 8 on my laptop and hardly ever use the Modern UI - even with a touch screen. If people have Windows 8 tablets, then they will.

Same here. I make a living on a computer and I virtually never see the Modern UI, except when I search for something. Even then, I don't like it. I haven't found a single app that does what I need that I like. And unlike most users here, I find it less efficient.

For example, I work in support for a Microsoft enterprise product. I have 2 different versions installed on my PC. I use one version, but I need the 2nd version as well for customer support because we have customers on both versions. I can easily switch to the Modern UI and find it, but it just shows the product name of both, exactly the same. The version shows up in the Windows 7 start menu, but not in the Modern UI search results. I have no way of knowing which is which. I either have to click on one and hope it's the version I'm after or go to "Open file location" and determine from there which version it is.

What I'm saying is, since I avoid the Modern UI if at all possible, it does nothing to help me fall in love with WP. I use WP and I love the UI on the device, but if I didn't use WP I certainly wouldn't be wanting one based on my Windows 8 experience.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
At that I don't understand why you have to make someone (least of all your family) like something, if they don't like it, keep it moving, trying to force your choice in OS is not becoming of anyone.

People often encourage others to follow actions that they believe are correct and have been productive for them. Isn't that the reason you are here as well? After all, you've bothered to post over 650 times about how Android works for you and you don't even have a Windows Phone. Telling others not to force their OS preferences on others is entirely disingenuous considering your perspective.

Last edited:

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

I think one of the fortuitous things that happened to Apple was the rabid interest in upgrading from model to model. Parents invariably passed their old iPhones down to their kids, creating an iPhone culture in that age group. It probably wouldn't have happened otherwise as iPhones are way overpriced. Windows Phone's best hope to make inroads into that age group is to be seen as a counterculture cool device. If it happens, it would probably be independent of ad campaigns, but I agree with you that MS should try a youthful ad campaign nonetheless.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
People often encourage others to follow actions that they believe are correct and have been productive for them. Isn't that the reason you are here as well? After all, you've bothered to post over 650 times about how Android works for you and you don't even have a Windows Phone. Telling others not to force their OS preferences on others is entirely disingenuous considering your perspective.

So you have to own a WP to be on a forum now? Because you would lose some readership and a good number of people who visit the forums. I don't force anything on anyone. But I just love how keyboard warriors like you love to make personal attacks when they aren't attacking anyone else. At that I have been on this forum for years so calm down.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I think one of the fortuitous things that happened to Apple was the rabid interest in upgrading from model to model. Parents invariably passed their old iPhones down to their kids, creating an iPhone culture in that age group. It probably wouldn't have happened otherwise as iPhones are way overpriced. Windows Phone's best hope to make inroads into that age group is to be seen as a counterculture cool device. If it happens, it would probably be independent of ad campaigns, but I agree with you that MS should try a youthful ad campaign nonetheless.

Yes because WP is so much cheaper. Price is not the differentiating factor for WP anymore. They have to do more and make people switch. Doing just as much as is not going to cut it.

Attachments

• 1400003094840.jpg
    1400003094840.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1400003103338.jpg
    1400003103338.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1400003113752.jpg
    1400003113752.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 5

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
So you have to own a WP to be on a forum now? Because you would lose some readership and a good number of people who visit the forums. I don't force anything on anyone. But I just love how keyboard warriors like you love to make personal attacks when they aren't attacking anyone else. At that I have been on this forum for years so calm down.

I find it interesting that you challenge others' posts regularly but whenever your position is challenged you consider it a personal attack. I am merely pointing out the inconsistency in your position. I don't have any opinion about you personally. I do have an opinion that you are here to promote your affection for Android, as that is the plain language of your posts. One doesn't have to be a WP user to post here, but since you aren't, your bias is blatantly obvious to the forum reader. As an aside, I would point out that your position on the open forums is also inconsistent. You have said you regularly post on WP Central and CrackBerry (at least until you got banned) but you have stated in Android Central that you prefer that the CrackBerry people not post in Android Central. Now you regularly bash the CrackBerry posters. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways and maintain any semblance of credibility.

To address your response to my point, there is really no difference between the father encouraging his daughter to use Windows Phone and you coming on to a Windows Phone forum to express your favor for Android as a non-WP user. I'm not sure how you can see it any other way. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head, but to suggest that you are not here promoting your affection for Android is false. Try reading your posts sometime. Hey, it's your prerogative, but for you to tell a guy that he shouldn't try to encourage his daughter to use Windows Phone comes across as hypocritical.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes because WP is so much cheaper. Price is not the differentiating factor for WP anymore. They have to do more and make people switch. Doing just as much as is not going to cut it.

You seem to be forgetting about the rest of the WP options. A Lumia 520/521 is extremely affordable for a parent to outfit their teens with smartphones. $549.00 vs. $59.00. Even your example is misleading, as you are comparing the 16gb 5C with the 32Gb Icon. The comparable 5C is $100 more and the comparable 5S is $200 more.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You seem to be forgetting about the rest of the WP options. A Lumia 520/521 is extremely affordable for a parent to outfit their teens with smartphones. $549.00 vs. $59.00. Even your example is misleading, as you are comparing the 16gb 5C with the 32Gb Icon. The comparable 5C is $100 more and the comparable 5S is $200 more.

Moving goalposts here. As is base models (which sell more than their higher proved counterparts) for the 5C cost the same as Lumia Icon and less than the 1520. The Moto E is going to be $129 or less when it hits U.S. carriers. The Moto G is already at that $99 or less price point too.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I find it interesting that you challenge others' posts regularly but whenever your position is challenged you consider it a personal attack. I am merely pointing out the inconsistency in your position. I don't have any opinion about you personally. I do have an opinion that you are here to promote your affection for Android, as that is the plain language of your posts. One doesn't have to be a WP user to post here, but since you aren't, your bias is blatantly obvious to the forum reader. As an aside, I would point out that your position on the open forums is also inconsistent. You have said you regularly post on WP Central and CrackBerry (at least until you got banned) but you have stated in Android Central that you prefer that the CrackBerry people not post in Android Central. Now you regularly bash the CrackBerry posters. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways and maintain any semblance of credibility.

To address your response to my point, there is really no difference between the father encouraging his daughter to use Windows Phone and you coming on to a Windows Phone forum to express your favor for Android as a non-WP user. I'm not sure how you can see it any other way. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head, but to suggest that you are not here promoting your affection for Android is false. Try reading your posts sometime. Hey, it's your prerogative, but for you to tell a guy that he shouldn't try to encourage his daughter to use Windows Phone comes across as hypocritical.

Firstly I never personally attack any poster nor do I go through people comment and post history as I have no reason to do so. When have I ever said "drop WP and use Android?". I may speak out against bias and skewed perspective on Android but never told someone to switch to Android from WP.

As far as CrackBerry goes, at least I can have reasonable conversations over here, on CrackBerry I was attacked for nothing. Not only I was attacked, multiple posters over there are attacked regularly by rabid fanboyism. So yes for them to go from there to Android Central or even to WPCentral Forums, no I would not want that as their forums is a very active and hostile environment.

And no I would not get my kids to switch platforms. What for? Personal satisfaction or bragging rights? Please they can use whatever phone OS they want.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
And? Does that men's they are going to go buy it? Anyone can be interested in something does not mean they are going to buy it with their own money.

Like when people over in CrackBerry talk about how peoples "eyes glazed over" when seeing BB10 (highly unlikely) when in reality no one is about to spend their own cash just to try something out.

At that I don't understand why you have to make someone (least of all your family) like something, if they don't like it, keep it moving, trying to

Hey, my point is about other people's perspective on WP, not on making someone like something. You're putting words in my post!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey, my point is about other people's perspective on WP, not on making someone like something. You're putting words in my post!

My last paragraph in that post was unrelated to you but to the post you were replying to before. I apologize if it sounded too aggressive.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
My last paragraph in that post was unrelated to you but to the post you were replying to before. I apologize if it sounded too aggressive.

Okay pal, apology accepted!

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Moving goalposts here. As is base models (which sell more than their higher proved counterparts) for the 5C cost the same as Lumia Icon and less than the 1520. The Moto E is going to be $129 or less when it hits U.S. carriers. The Moto G is already at that $99 or less price point too.

I didn't move the goalposts but you tried to. My original comment was that the iPhones are overpriced for kids and that many kids ended up getting their parents' old iPhones, thereby creating a phone culture that otherwise would have been too expensive for parents to afford. No one would dispute that iPhones are expensive compared to the entry level Windows Phones. Now that you are mentioning the Moto E and Moto G, you are only reinforcing my point. iPhones are also way more expensive than entry level Android phones. I don't know why you persist in bringing up the Icon and the 1520, because I don't see parents running out to buy their kids new, top-end phones.

The fact remains that Apple got a lot of hand-me-down phones into the hands of kids, thereby creating an iPhone culture in that demographic. Let's keep the goalposts right there.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb