My Experience with 8.1, My Paradigm Shift to Android and my Dead Sprint back Home

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
EC: You make valid points: WP certainly isn't the OS for you based on your needs. I've always wondered from a WP user's pov, why Microsoft doesn't use all of their capabilities to give 100%. I, too, feel like Office could have been better, sharing could be better, the 6" phones could have split screen capabilities, etc. ...not to mention encryption and the ability to open password protected documents. They advertise WP as a business phone in some places,but the truth is, it is more of a recreational device. I suspect, however, that if the CEO and other execs of both Microsoft and Nokia truly use a WP as their daily driver that they have business apps and capabilities on their phone to conduct business as usual. What I'm simply asking is that they pass on these capabilities to their customers for a truly unique, professional and personal experience. If, however Nokia and Microsoft execs claim that they use their WP exactly how it is today, I would suspect that they are using 2 phones...(dare I say the OS that I suspect that they would have to use!)

I agree with this. While I know some here were able to make WP work in your field or line of work. From a pure functionality perspective Android is better. For businesses I know some still use BlackBerrys as well because even though it lacks apps BB10 is very functional. I never understood why businesses choose iPhones though I suspect it's because it's more locked down.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not demeaning in saying that I wish I could understand, only sympathizing. For what I use it for, Windows Phone has everything I could ask for and more... That's not to say it's complete by any means. No OS is. I simply want to help fill in the gaps. Unfortunately, I'll be mostly useless for translating apps.

Check out a copy of PLECO in its full version if you want to understand what i mean for language apps. Try Hanping (there is a free version) if you want a less complete experience but without missing key functions. Hanping developer is also a gem of a person in the way he answers and finds solutions. As to your problem, i have the linguistic skills but i am not a developer and since my job gives me enough headaches i am not planning to develop either. Had i been able i'd have done a proper crossplatform software by myself instead of complaining for months (on purpose i may frankly add) so that someone up there hears the rant of the donkey! :)

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
You are indeed a power user. And I certainly agree that for your precise usage, Android is the way to go. Your use actually fits the stereotype: there's virtually no end to Android's capabilities, but it requires some knowledge to know how to exploit it.

Good attitude! Most users, even WP fans, would agree that it cannot match Android's capabilities. However, most smartphone users do not do more with their phone than what WP will do. If someone likes the UI, or likes Microsoft, or doesn't like Google, WP is a good fit. We need people like you to push the cause of WP.

Thanks, i appreciate the comment. You're missing a point though. I don't want to use Android anymore. I want a WP that gives me the same level of Android in a MSFT package wrapped in Nokia or HTC hardware. I am leaving the Google platform and would love to close my Google account, too. This is not a glorification of Android. It's an attempt to migrate from a platform offered by a provider that i find, at least, worrysome. Like me, many others. You'd be surprised at how many people in certain areas or job fields are throwing smartphones and getting dumbphones. That opens another topic though.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to use Android anymore. I want a WP that gives me the same level of Android in a MSFT package wrapped in Nokia or HTC hardware.

I agree. I never wanted to use Android. I think options are good, and WP just doesn't give many options for the professional. I guess, due to BlackBerry being my first smartphone, I thought by getting a newer WP phone, I would have at least the same functionality as an older BB. Maybe having a personal WP and a professional grade WP equipped with stylus, multi screen, encryption and more! That would be awesome. With addons like other keyboards, etc. I know security is a concern. But Microsoft is terrible at producing their own apps. They can easily partner w/ 3rd party devs and ensure privacy/security is there. As you said, MSFT has the resources a billion times over...its almost a shame that this hasn't been developed earlier. If BlackBerry had a metro design w/live tiles, etc. I'd probably switch back. I do hope that Nokia develops this professional device under the Microsoft umbrella, or someone new. I'm open to change...that's why I came to WP in the first place. :)

amagner

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Android has it's benefits. I just can't deal with sub par keyboards. Awful UIs, lag and force closes on an "octa-core" device.
Testimony to this: wife and daughter both just got GS5's less than two weeks ago. Daughter comes to me and complains about it being all "laggy and unresponsive". I see it first hand. Ask her if it's OK to disable Sammy and AT&T junk apps to see how it performs (she doesn't use them anyway). Lo and behold! Today says it's been great since I did my "magic" on the phone. Did the same on wife's phone now.
One shouldn't have to resort to this sort of thing to get a $700 phone to perform even the most basic functions reliably.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Testimony to this: wife and daughter both just got GS5's less than two weeks ago. Daughter comes to me and complains about it being all "laggy and unresponsive". I see it first hand. Ask her if it's OK to disable Sammy and AT&T junk apps to see how it performs (she doesn't use them anyway). Lo and behold! Today says it's been great since I did my "magic" on the phone. Did the same on wife's phone now.
One shouldn't have to resort to this sort of thing to get a $700 phone to perform even the most basic functions reliably.

But its bloat. I don't think you can blame the phone if not the carrier for it.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo