What Microsoft should do to dominate over android & ios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Germak

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if is a similar thread somewhere Else but I didn't find one so i post it here.

I am new to WP and to this forum,I read a lot of stuff here and in other similar forums
and I believe all people that don't use a WP they "afraid" to move to a new platform for
several reasons.
Ibelieve MS is behind those two rivals because of lack of Google apps(chrome,g+,gmail,etc)
and it has a limited appstore vs android and iOS.
These are the words of my friends here in Greece when I told them that I would buy a Nokia Lumia device.
They said:
Are you crazy?WP?Not in a billion years!It doesn't have Gaaps.

I like to test something different and give a try to WP so I bought one.

Please tell your opinion on what Microsoft should do to dominate over android & ios.
I told you.Integrate Gaps(chrome,g+,gmail,etc) and add missing apps to her app store.
:cool:

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
When I ditched ios and android , I was missing some apps like YouTube , flipboard but soon I found some great 3rd party alternatives like metro tube , weave and many more apps. I don't really feel the app gap (though there is some gap in games but I am sure it will be filled soon by developers ). Windows phone 8 was lacking notification centre , voice assistant but with windows phone 8.1 these OS gaps are filled. India (my country ) is adopting windows phone at fast rate resulting in more polished apps from developers due to high market share.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes india is getting apps due to increase in market share.but india is also android country with 90% android market share.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

ujori89

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
About my opinion i think that the apps are them what we need more then everything. I use wp from the october (before android), and i like very much the interface that we have on wp but...the problem is the number of apps on store. MS has to do very much work with that, not with transparent live tiles, notifications centre ecc ecc. This things can do slowly, we need apps. Everyone that i try to bring on windows phone, they check first what they can get throw the store!

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't like android. I love windows phone 📞 but right now the best os is IOS. For my needs I can do anything with an iPhone. MSFT must precipitate the development of the os. It's little things that need to be more polished. From example I can do my work from safari and chrome on special sites but no from IE. I love ❤ Lumia 1520 and I would like to have an IOS experience on WP.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
To me, a lot of Microsoft products suck on Windows Phone. For instance, IE (no back, forward, private browsing, etc.) Also, Office on WP sucks! I thought Office would be like it is on the surface, but its not. You can't add photos to documents, etc. Their calendar sucks. We just got separate volume controls, a way to close apps without the back button, etc. I just think if they make Microsoft products stellar on WP then, alot of ppl wouldn't have to look back.

ringbear-er

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
For me the problem is the bad fame. People criticize WP without even trying it and even though the number of apps has grown up little by little people keeps complaining about the gap of apps that maybe they would not use anyway.

The real problem is the performance of popular apps like facebook or WhatsApp which have many critics in the store for being slow or not working properly. I've seen comments of people saying that they are ditching WP because of WhatsApp or facebook not working like they do in android. What worries me now is the terrible music app for WP 8.1 it will just get worst this situation and since some regions can't get the updates for such app their experience will not improve and the bad game f of the app will increase: What kind of OS is one where you can't even play your music, post a comment or get WhatsApp notifications properly? That what people will think.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
To me, a lot of Microsoft products suck on Windows Phone. For instance, IE (no back, forward, private browsing, etc.) Also, Office on WP sucks! I thought Office would be like it is on the surface, but its not. You can't add photos to documents, etc. Their calendar sucks. We just got separate volume controls, a way to close apps without the back button, etc. I just think if they make Microsoft products stellar on WP then, alot of ppl wouldn't have to look back.

All that has been fixed on 8.1. IE has forward and back, password sync, tab sync...its really good. Are you on 8.1? How did you not know swiping left and right takes you forward/back?? :p

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree the music is app is really bad now. Having used iphone for 3 generations I can tell you it just worked. Xbox music is real ****ty right now so I hope they fix it up real quick. Its just way too slow to make WP look good

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft are doing what they need: providing a smooth stable platform, extending synchronisation between their platforms and bringing in universal apps.

Conceptually Microsoft are ahead, developing the world's first dynamic user interface and its clear there is more goodness to come from this UI concept with interactive tiles in the future. With Bing and Cortana also developing, Microsoft are going to be seen as ahead because Chrome is no answer to traditional Windows, Android being increasingly seen as unstable. iOS is uninspiring and MAC OS is where with touch or gesture, exactly?

Part of the problem for Microsoft's detractors is that they are being shortsighted; treating mobile and 'proper' OSs in isolation and comparing like for like, while information technology is becoming less and less device dependent as the cloud develops and only the most demanding uses require high-end hardware. Microsoft have the best cloud solutions and in unifying their OS's are eliminating issues in moving data between platforms. Already we have synchronisation between photos, documents, calendars, contacts, weather apps, favourites (& passwords) in IE, reading lists and more.

Out of the box, Microsoft products are already the most useful. What other mobile platforms have a word processor and spreadsheet built in? And with Gemini on it's way we'll have even better office integration while Google and Apple are doing what, exactly, apart from tolerating Office? Microsoft are in the driving seat here.

In recent years it has become vogue to ***** about Microsoft, with just about every pundit and armchair quarterback indulging in masturbatory hypocrisy. But Microsoft have not bitched about it, instead they have been quietly building their platform - all the while aware that they are coming from behind. People should not mistake Microsoft's willingness to listen to criticism - when did Apple or Google ever seek the opinion of their fans? - for an admission of incompetence.

While Microsoft gave us Millenium and Vista, Apple gave us a brittle phone with indifferent reception (oh no, we were holding the phone wrongly, weren't we?) and Google have given us a whole raft of low-end devices which really suck to the point where you get a low memory warning when you've installed a whole two apps (oh no, we have to buy an SD card if we want enough memory, don't we?). Apple and Google fans are far too forgiving of those companies, while just about everybody are too hard on Microsoft. Time to get a sense of proportion.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry for my ignorance, what's the problem with the music app? It plays my music just fine and I'm on 8.1. Also, I think the carriers have alot to do with marketing, ever been in a Verizon store and talked to one of those idiots WP?

Germak

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft are doing what they need: providing a smooth stable platform, extending synchronisation between their platforms and bringing in universal apps.

Out of the box, Microsoft products are already the most useful.
While Microsoft gave us Millenium and Vista, Apple gave us a brittle phone with indifferent reception (oh no, we were holding the phone wrongly, weren't we?) and Google have given us a whole raft of low-end devices which really suck to the point where you get a low memory warning when you've installed a whole two apps (oh no, we have to buy an SD card if we want enough memory, don't we?). Apple and Google fans are far too forgiving of those companies, while just about everybody are too hard on Microsoft. Time to get a sense of proportion.

I definitely agree with you to all but........MS is still 3d in Market place.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
All that has been fixed on 8.1. IE has forward and back, password sync, tab sync...its really good. Are you on 8.1? How did you not know swiping left and right takes you forward/back?? :p

No, not on 8.1. And I don't think T-Mobile will update my phone, since they refused to give us gdr3. So, I would either have to do the dp or get a new phone with 8.1. But even if I did have 8.1, what I'm saying is that it took years for these things, when I just assumed that IE and office would work like it did on the surface.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
They should stop letting Devs skim over WP as far as new and popular apps are concerned. I just looked at the thread about how Flipboard is yet to come to WP even though it was supposedly going to come. Flipboard is on BlackBerry even! I know some say apps don't matter, WP is for productivity etc., but I don't think anyone can deny, the ones who are making Android and iOS popular are clamoring for the same apps WP lacks. Get devs on the platform, that way you can say with certainty yes, the same apps and games you and your friends are playing are on WP too.

The growth of the smartphone market is stalling and Microsoft has to make a push to get users of other platforms on WP and getting the same apps is very good step in the right direction. I also want to say, Microsoft needs to have a bigger push on advertising and make these ads informational and show off what's cool and different about WP. Users on WP now, should't be unpaid advertisers to their friends and family, one of the many reasons BB is doing so poorly is trying to use word of mouth instead of actual ads is one of them. Get billboards, 30 second TV ads, flyers the whole shabang, throw into peoples faces so much they will ask about a WP next time they go to their carrier store. Apple and Samsung dominate the airways as far as ads go, and Microsoft can be up there too.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The growth of the smartphone market is stalling and Microsoft has to make a push to get users of other platforms on WP and getting the same apps is very good step in the right direction. I also want to say, Microsoft needs to have a bigger push on advertising and make these ads informational and show off what's cool and different about WP.

I agree...the Lumia ads were funny and I think Microsoft needs more commercials. Like a lot more! We should see them everywhere! The more ppl see them, the more they'll want them. Also, Samsung does a college tour and hives away galaxy products and other cool stuff. I think if Microsoft would do a college tour, it would be fun! One of the requirements in the Samsung college tour, was that the students had to write about it on social media w/a particular hashtag to be entered into the drawing. I think social media and old fashion commercials will do the trick! But Microsoft is a multi billion dollar corporation (or more), so surely they know this right?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree...the Lumia ads were funny and I think Microsoft needs more commercials. Like a lot more! We should see them everywhere! The more ppl see them, the more they'll want them. Also, Samsung does a college tour and hives away galaxy products and other cool stuff. I think if Microsoft would do a college tour, it would be fun! One of the requirements in the Samsung college tour, was that the students had to write about it on social media w/a particular hashtag to be entered into the drawing. I think social media and old fashion commercials will do the trick! But Microsoft is a multi billion dollar corporation (or more), so surely they know this right?

You would think so. But I don't know what they are thinking.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The ads and TV commercials could help, but many times the problem starts in the carrier stores, most the staff of those stores only talks about how great is Samsung and Apple, and if you ask other options they will only mention HTC or LG... no WP at all. Many people rely too much on the seller "expertise" on phones and those sellers only suggest what is selling more or the most popular, that's why there is a lot of Samsung and iPhones in the streets... well mostly Samsung that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb