Why do some claim WP sucks"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Heya, so today I watched a video on youtube and since morning, when I watched it, it's really been bothering me - so, the creators of the channel realsed app for Android and IOs i quote *maybe not exact words* "If you have WP get Android or IOs because WP sucks". I REALLY can't find ANY reason why WP is worse than Android or IOs, I have absolutly NO idea why wouldn't they release app for WP. Is it really hard to code for WP or too expensive, or what other reason? It's really been bothering me.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
re: Why do some claim WP sucks"?

welcome to WPC, where questions like this have been debated like a thousand times

yeah, for me WP is far more stable than Android (never had Android and iOS, but quite familiar with the former)
some people hate difference, and most of these people are not open minded, that's it

oh, and I don't think it's that hard to code for all platforms as there is Xamarin for that purpose

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Quite a few threads on this subject already...
This has been beaten to death on here.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

For the same reason that some people call iOS users "iSheep" and say that iPhones suck. For the same reason that some people say that Android sucks. It's nothing to get ****-hurt over, few people in technology - especially mobile technology - have the maturity to acknowledge the strengths of other platforms.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

What is even more funny to me is how android acts all "isheepish" in bed with IOS. You can't hear one name without the other being mentioned. something android has always wanted, to get that isheep type following.

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site

Thank you everyone. Just another question, as asked in 1st post - is it really that hard to code for WP? And what platfrom(?) it uses for coding?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Is it really that hard to code for WP? And what platfrom(?) it uses for coding?

No. It's actually one of the easiest platforms to develop for. Still, that doesn't mean it's simple. Just getting an app running is trivial. However, making a high quality app that is reliable, stable and a joy to use is difficult on any platform. That requires experience, and a notable amount of time and effort.

As stated a million times over on WPC, the app problem has absolutely nothing to do with how easy/difficiult it is to develop apps for WP, but WP's market share. If a company invests 100'000 to develop two apps for iOS and Android and with that can reach 95% of the market, there is little incentive to invest another 50'000 in a third app just for the remaining 5% of the market. It's a money and business problem. Not a technological problem.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
No. It's actually one of the easiest platforms to develop for. Still, that doesn't mean it's simple. Just getting an app running is trivial. However, making a high quality app that is reliable, stable and a joy to use is difficult on any platform. That requires experience, and a notable amount of time and effort.

As stated a million times over on WPC, the app problem has absolutely nothing to do with how easy/difficiult it is to develop apps for WP, but WP's market share. If a company invests 100'000 to develop two apps for iOS and Android and with that can reach 95% of the market, there is little incentive to invest another 50'000 in a third app just for the remaining 5% of the market. It's a money and business problem. Not a technological problem.

^^What he said.

I learned to code C#/XAML in a week and submitted my first app. This is me coming from a blank slate as far as coding is concerned. Not difficult at all and I found it very easy to follow with the online training.

It's the market share and perception as stated.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Heya, so today I watched a video on youtube and since morning, when I watched it, it's really been bothering me - so, the creators of the channel realsed app for Android and IOs i quote *maybe not exact words* "If you have WP get Android or IOs because WP sucks". I REALLY can't find ANY reason why WP is worse than Android or IOs, I have absolutly NO idea why wouldn't they release app for WP. Is it really hard to code for WP or too expensive, or what other reason? It's really been bothering me.

It doesn't suck. However it lacks too many things to be considered at the same level of the other two. It's not really a matter of preferences. It's a matter of needs too. Android an iOS have generally less bugs, less shortcomings, better markets, wider choice of premium apps. WP for now appeals better to more basic users with no advanced needs. Been discussed many times in great detail. WP is simply behind in many areas, for now.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't suck. However it lacks too many things to be considered at the same level of the other two. It's not really a matter of preferences. It's a matter of needs too. Android an iOS have generally less bugs, less shortcomings, better markets, wider choice of premium apps. WP for now spirals appeals better to more basic users with no advanced needs. Been discussed many times in great detail. WP is simply behind in many areas, for now.

It's certainly behind in terms of silly games and new silly social media apps.

But advanced users? RDP, SSH, Office, Camera, etc- the apps on WP for these things far outweighs any IOS or Android app.

As far as bugs go, that's a vocal minority thing. Excluding 8.1 preview (which is a preview, not a release), 8.0 was no less stable than IOS and significantly more stable than any given Android ROM.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft unfortunately carries that stigma. But the general public can't seem to think for themselves it seems

Sent from my all seeing 1020

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
They are often employing confirmation bias. It helps them justify their decision to choose a competing product.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro