Why do some claim WP sucks"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much anyone can create an functional app for Windows Phone using App Studio within an hour or so and get it submitted, so app creation is not the most difficult to learn. As mentioned before, it is easier than ever to create an app that works well across all platforms using Xamarin.

I have been primarily an Android user, it was my first smartphone after all, but since I have been getting review units over the last year to try out, that was my first exposure to WP.

Right now I would say that I still place Android slightly ahead of WP solely because of a couple of Google services I prefer over Microsoft/Nokia offerings. Namely Google Maps, Google+ and Hangouts.

But ever since WP 8.1 Dev Preview dropped, I have not used my Nexus 4 any more than a few days straight. I missed my WP experience that much. So much that I am debating buying either a 1520 or an LG G3 as my next daily driver.

I have an iPhone and cannot use it more than a day or 2 at a time. Just cannot get into it at all.

Microsoft is making that decision so much more difficult these days. Now that the Nokia purchase is done, they need to make sure all phones from this point forward are available on all carriers to build market share. If they keep on with past practice of one or two carriers each getting different outstanding phones, then they will always be a distant third leaving people to always have that thought in the back of their head that Microsoft could pull the plug on smartphones at any time.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
It's certainly behind in terms of silly games and new silly social media apps.

But advanced users? RDP, SSH, Office, Camera, etc- the apps on WP for these things far outweighs any IOS or Android app.

Indeed, which is why WP8 was the last platform to get an official RDP app from MS, and also why that app is much worse than it's Android/iOS counterpart.

Similarly, the fact that OneNote and Powerpoint are much better on those other platforms also proves your point.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Indeed, which is why WP8 was the last platform to get an official RDP app from MS, and also why that app is much worse than it's Android/iOS counterpart.

Similarly, the fact that OneNote and Powerpoint are much better on those other platforms also proves your point.

Who said I was talking about the official RDP app? Why is the official RDP app the metric you use to rate how good RDP on the platform is?

The third party RDP app ConnectMe is better than any RDP I've used on android or iOS. The official RDP app implements RDP slightly differently so I keep it around, but yeah it's meh.

I'll give you that WP PowerPoint is bare bones, but I don't see myself ever creating/editing a PowerPoint slideshow on my phone. Seriously, almost anything is better than using a phone for PowerPoint. Even with a fully functional version of PowerPoint on my phone, I would sooner reach for pen and paper, or even just make a mental picture first, to be later translated into a slideshow via mouse and keyboard. Mobile PowerPoint is for viewing.

I don't see a problem with OneNote though. What more do you want? Especially with voice integration at the system level on WP (in 8.0 you could hold start and say, 'note blah blah'. It would save the recording to OneNote and a transcription of it, without ever opening the OneNote app).

WP is great for "advanced" users, especially now with the VPN hole filled.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
It's certainly behind in terms of silly games and new silly social media apps.

But advanced users? RDP, SSH, Office, Camera, etc- the apps on WP for these things far outweighs any IOS or Android app.

As far as bugs go, that's a vocal minority thing. Excluding 8.1 preview (which is a preview, not a release), 8.0 was no less stable than IOS and significantly more stable than any given Android ROM.

I have discussed this in other areas of this site so i won't repeat the whole list (but you can find it). The gaps go from OS usability (one for all Office being unable to open password protected files and keyboard lacking some inputs), to UI issues (like the confusing menus you can't order in an alphabetic order), to the lack of whatsoever form of encryption to the issues in sharing functions of both OS and apps. Then there is the chronic lack of really good apps, except Games (excellent) and Camera (the best of them all in all conditions).
Unfortunately i really use the phone to work and for that the OS is lagging behind, not a few months but at least one or two years behind. Android was like this maybe 4 years ago, and i complained about it, too. WP is a good OS for low end/middle range phones and for users that are not too advanced or don't need complex functionalities. For anyone needing something for real work that implies text editing, note taking, sharing content etc. the OS is terrible, and the apps don't help. Look at IE mobile. Can you save to Pocket? NO. Can you set a different browser as a default? NO, can you send a piece of article you find to IM+ Pro or to one note directly as you do with Evernote on Android? NO.
It's not about kiddie stuff. It's about missing functions.

Manoj Daran

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
That's because people are familiar with Well organized OS like Android and iOS [I'm not saying WP is bad]. Ever since WP8 launched, I'm a great lover of WP. Since its birth, it has carefully acquired all the features and function it needed over time. It's just less than 2 years and it has gained lots of audiences throughout the globe and is lacking some functions/features though. On the other hand, Android took almost 4 years to sail high and they needed that time to sort all the gaps in the OS. WP8 was widely talked in the start unlike Android, people were unaware of Andro in the start. So, that much hype was not really fulfilled by WP during its early stages when Android is at its peek. It has gained momentum only after a series of updates. That's why people are a bit frustrated in the beginning and they compared the handsets with Well Organized android!! Those days are over, now WP can compete with any OS on the planet, only a handful of things and little tinkering is required which will be done in the next update for sure. No one can say WP SUCKS anymore!!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
To clear some things up that a few posts previously said:

Android since the start has always been popular. Within 4 years of its start it gained over half of the smartphone market. Compare that to WP who will be 4 this October and is sitting at 4% market share.

Another thing, I don't understand why members here dismiss WP not having the more popular apps and games as a triviality. NEWS FLASH: The popular apps and games being available on iOS and Android keep users on their platforms and they never end up trying WP because all their apps needs are met. Not only that casual smartphone users who use those apps make up the majority of the smartphone market now. Huge untapped potential WP is missing out on

Another thing, members are saying WP has more business functions than Android. Think to yourself are you really being honest. Android devices are being used daily and with BYOD Android has some businesses interested. But WP? It took years to get VPN and even then you still have to wait months for OTA, because let's face it no one is taking work devices and putting a developer OS on there.

Remote Desktop has been on Android far longer than WP and I would argue Chrome Remote Desktop is the best I have ever used, all you need is to sign in, have chrome on your computer and boom it syncs up and you have Remote Access.

For users who want more basic uses and want a more toned down OS, WP is just fine. But for more power usage, Android is better. Not too knock WP but it's still going to take some time to get other smartphone users attention.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Heya, so today I watched a video on youtube and since morning, when I watched it, it's really been bothering me - so, the creators of the channel realsed app for Android and IOs i quote *maybe not exact words* "If you have WP get Android or IOs because WP sucks". I REALLY can't find ANY reason why WP is worse than Android or IOs, I have absolutly NO idea why wouldn't they release app for WP. Is it really hard to code for WP or too expensive, or what other reason? It's really been bothering me.

If WPC had a nickel for every time this subject come up.............

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
To clear some things up that a few posts previously said:

Android since the start has always been popular. Within 4 years of its start it gained over half of the smartphone market. Compare that to WP who will be 4 this October and is sitting at 4% market share.

Another thing, I don't understand why members here dismiss WP not having the more popular apps and games as a triviality. NEWS FLASH: The popular apps and games being available on iOS and Android keep users on their platforms and they never end up trying WP because all their apps needs are met. Not only that casual smartphone users who use those apps make up the majority of the smartphone market now. Huge untapped potential WP is missing out on

Another thing, members are saying WP has more business functions than Android. Think to yourself are you really being honest. Android devices are being used daily and with BYOD Android has some businesses interested. But WP? It took years to get VPN and even then you still have to wait months for OTA, because let's face it no one is taking work devices and putting a developer OS on there.

Remote Desktop has been on Android far longer than WP and I would argue Chrome Remote Desktop is the best I have ever used, all you need is to sign in, have chrome on your computer and boom it syncs up and you have Remote Access.

For users who want more basic uses and want a more toned down OS, WP is just fine. But for more power usage, Android is better. Not too knock WP but it's still going to take some time to get other smartphone users attention.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

If someone uses a PC at work and a Windows tablet or laptop on the road, why would you recommend Android over WP for those users? In other words, what advantages does Android have for people who are already in the Microsoft ecosystem? I can appreciate that the Android/Google ecosystem is a viable alternative to the Windows ecosystem (as is Apple) but I don't see how Android would be better than WP for people already using the Windows ecosystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6