Why is Google being so unprofessional?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes I know you said that earlier, but with your other post it sounded like you were saying Google was making a miscalculation!

Nope. I think they are spot on. I would do the exact same thing, and everyone here would hate me for it (including myself since I like WP). It's the cost of doing business.

EDIT:
It's why I said: "there is no economic argument to be made against providing Google's services on WP". Google has strategic reasons for not doing what we'd all like.

Last edited:

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It's why I said: "there is no economic argument to be made against providing Google's services on WP". Google has strategic reasons for not doing what we'd all like.

I've beating this same drum for quite a while. Although its now a month old, here's a BusinessInsider link that is germane to that angle. The TLDR summary is that for Google's purposes, "high-value" connections to their services are nearing saturation. They need to create more high value connections into their uni-sphere to create investor value.

Think of the acquisition of Nest and the rumors being floated about Google's intent for Nest.

Windows Phone would be a slam dunk, and probably pretty low effort (compared to growing the Nest product to provide a similar user base for example). So, high value usage of Google services, low effort implementation, yet it's not happening. From a purely economics standpoint, there is every reason for Google to do services on WindowsPhone. There is absolutely more than the economics/marketshare explanation at work here.

Business Insider - Why Google Isn't Growing

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've beating this same drum for quite a while. Although its now a month old, here's a BusinessInsider link that is germane to that angle.

Yeah, unfortunately nobody seems to be hearing that drum. The "market share" argument is simple to understand and appears logical. It's been repeated so often that convincing anybody it's wrong is almost impossible now.

Anyway, thanks for that link. I'm still in shock!!! US/UK revenue per user per year for Google is on average $86??? What?

Honestly, I have a very hard time believing that. My estimate of 1 cent seems outright ridiculous in comparison. Really? Unless US and UK citizens really enjoy advertising and click on every second banner they see... but even then... IDK.

Even if we assume only one tenth of that alleged average for WP's userbase, that would imply that Google is ignoring $344 million from WP, annually. No longer small potatoes, even for Google. More importantly, that is definitely a market worth offering services too.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Chromebooks have a lot of potential.

I'd say that is the reason too. MS isn't scared of Chromebooks as they are now, but of what they could become. And they should be.

Google is fighting WP while its market and mind share are still weak. That is the best time to do so. MS should be doing the exact same thing towards Chromebooks. Unfortunately, MS is still MIA on that field (mostly).

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd say that is the reason too. MS isn't scared of Chromebooks as they are now, but of what they could become. And they should be.

Google is fighting WP while its market and mind share are still weak. That is the best time to do so. MS should be doing the exact same thing towards Chromebooks. Unfortunately, MS is still MIA on that field (mostly).

Yeah where are the cheap Windows RT laptops? That would directly compete with a Chromebook, but so far I only use RT tablets.

But even then, the sheer appeal of Chrome OS is that all the Google services are there as 1st party applications. Google is trying to starve MS ecosystem of oxygen by not developing 1st party apps for WP/Windows 8. Even their Youtube app for XBox One is crap. It's clear Google wants to see MS die.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Eric Schmidt has wanted to see MS dead for a long time. He had a vendetta against them at Novell, he had a vendetta against them at Sun, and he continues his vendetta at Google. Personally I feel Google would be a much better company if they never got themselves mixed up with him.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
That's what I can't figure out. Chromebooks are barely a blip on the radar, and yet Microsoft is crapping their pants over them.

true dat!!
what ms really needs to battle chromebooks potential is releasing a cheaper variant of the surface with alot of screen , config options and dirt cheap RT versions as well as decently priced x86 versions like the dell venue series which were being sold for $200 a few months ago as part of a promo
i myself tried to pick up 2-3 of the dell venue (8 i think) but it was sold out
if they make a similiar surface like tablet for $200-400 i would definately pick a few up despite not needing one at the moment
the newer quad core atoms are just what needs to be used in the lower end models
x86 that cheap and with that sorta quality would sell like hot cakes
so far ive not seen chromebooks sell at all here in india, people enquire abt them then the minute chrome os is mentioned they proceed to buy an ipad,android tablet or netbook which frankly makes alot of sense,given chromebooks lack features a layman would want, it neither has alot of native apps nor does it have x86 support(yet..., according to rumours)

edit- unless....... they have the surface mini surprise for us which might inlcude the stuff i just mentioned :D
*rubs hands hopefully*

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Eh, MS probably makes more money off of Android phones than it does WP. I don't care how petty Google is. The 3rd party Youtube apps are generally free of ads, so I prefer them over the official app.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Eh, MS probably makes more money off of Android phones than it does WP. I don't care how petty Google is. The 3rd party Youtube apps are generally free of ads, so I prefer them over the official app.

yeah i personally use youtube HD , people say metrotube is also great

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well Microsoft has been bashing Google for years now with their "Scroogle" campaign, you can't just make that out to be a little issue.
My guess is though they see Microsoft as a huge thread to their business. Windows Phone is rapidly growing in the developing markets with budget phones and that's where Google's Android has really been dominating since Apple doesn't even compete there. Not to mention Microsoft's Surface and Windows 8 tablets are surely gaining on the Android tablet consumer base which is just another thread to Android.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Once Google abandons ChromeBook's and focuses on putting Android on cheap Chromebook like PC's Microsoft's Windows is going to take a massive blow. I still wonder why they don't just take that course and give up on Chromebooks.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Once Google abandons ChromeBook's and focuses on putting Android on cheap Chromebook like PC's Microsoft's Windows is going to take a massive blow. I still wonder why they don't just take that course and give up on Chromebooks.

Google is not going to give up on Chromebooks any time soon. They have no reason to do so. Android is for mobile and ChromeOS is desktop, they should be separate.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234