Looks like Microsoft was helping out the Feds directly, this was brought to my attention from someone on the Verge:

NSA Docs Detail Efforts To Collect Data From Microsoft’s Skype, SkyDrive, And Outlook.com | TechCrunch

I will say now that it seems to perpetuate the fact corporations were actively helping the U.S. government spy on it's people.
    05-19-2014 10:38 AM
    I would take anything The Verge writes about Microsoft with a grain of salt. They are one of the worst Microsoft bashing techsites online, and a pure Apple follower. It took them almost a week before they wrote about Apples HUGE SSL bug that effected every device Apple have released. While Microsoft's IE hole was front page day one, and stayed there for days.
    05-19-2014 12:32 PM
    I think all tech companies were actively helping the govt... but they didn't want to. It was dine under force.

What do you expect them to do?

On one end they assist the govt because they are forced to. On the other end they work on changing their systems so it makes it difficult or impossible for them to do what the government asks if them.

The only way they can get away from doing the government's demand is by blocking themselves from even having the ability to gather info.

MS has implemented that in many areas now; making it so that they don't collect personal info.

For Google it's trickier because they can't stay in business if they stop collecting personal information.
    05-19-2014 12:38 PM
    I believe the term is, "An offer you cannot refuse"
    Reflexx likes this.
    05-19-2014 12:43 PM
    I would take anything The Verge writes about Microsoft with a grain of salt. They are one of the worst Microsoft bashing techsites online, and a pure Apple follower. It took them almost a week before they wrote about Apples HUGE SSL bug that effected every device Apple have released. While Microsoft's IE hole was front page day one, and stayed there for days.
    The link is from TechCrunch

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    05-19-2014 01:14 PM
    Not to say a anything, but it's funny how everyone criticizes Google about security, yet when Microsoft was openly working with the NSA (giving up a ton of data) you get 4 posts on a thread. Interesting indeed.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    05-24-2014 12:22 PM