I want to switch but the lack of apps scares me

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Im seriously considering switching to windows phone. Im on android right now and Im basically unhappy with it. Just a few things for example...battery life is horrible. I cant find a keyboard that works to save my life. Google maps is terrible. Some of that is my current phone and some isnt. Either way Im ready for something new.

My one fear is apps though. I dotn use a ton of apps or play a lot of games so I dot need the absolute newest anything but what I do need...I need.

Facebook for example....just got to a decent state on android an update or 2 ago. Twitter would be nice....I know its on windows phone though I dot know how it works. Youtube....which apparently there is an issue with? I really like the feature that I can looks up a youtube video and them send it to my ps3 over wifi so it plays on the tv...anything like that work on windows phone?

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Its good to switch on WP. Most of the common apps are there on this ecosystem. Battery life is much better in many Lumia models.
Facebook: It works very well on my phone. Besides, you have People Hub integration.
Twitter: I tried official twitter app and it seems fine for me.
YouTube: There are many apps for YouTube. MetroTube is the best I have seen.
P.S: WhatsApp has been temporarily removed from the ecosystem. They have not given any official date for its republish. If you are ready to wait, then go for it.

Hope that helps!

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I think Twitter is currently improving their app for WP8.1

As for FB, they have the beta version which loads twice as fast as the stable version and they also said they'll completely revamp it with the official launch of WP8.1 sometime in summer.

Also, apps for YT on WP are vastly superior in design compared to the official one.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Its good to switch on WP. Most of the common apps are there on this ecosystem. Battery life is much better in many Lumia models.
Facebook: It works very well on my phone. Besides, you have People Hub integration.
Twitter: I tried official twitter app and it seems fine for me.
YouTube: There are many apps for YouTube. MetroTube is the best I have seen.
P.S: WhatsApp has been temporarily removed from the ecosystem. They have not given any official date for its republish. If you are ready to wait, then go for it.

Hope that helps!

Cool, thanks. I do not use Whatsapp..nor will I ever unless I have to. Nothing against it I guess I just dont see the point right now. I used to use groupme a lot but it just totally drained my battery and the batteries of anyone else using it so we stopped.

I think Twitter is currently improving their app for WP8.1

As for FB, they have the beta version which loads twice as fast as the stable version and they also said they'll completely revamp it with the official launch of WP8.1 sometime in summer.

Also, apps for YT on WP are vastly superior in design compared to the official one.

The youtube apps on WP are better??? cool...is metro paid or free?

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Cool, thanks. I do not use Whatsapp..nor will I ever unless I have to. Nothing against it I guess I just dont see the point right now. I used to use groupme a lot but it just totally drained my battery and the batteries of anyone else using it so we stopped.

Then go for a WP mate :)

The youtube apps on WP are better??? cool...is metro paid or free?

MetroTube offers you unlimited and unrestricted features and you can buy it if you want to. Its a quality app without any doubts.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I actually prefer MyTube over MetroTube. I used Metro first then switched to MyTube. They are both really solid options though. Try both.

I'm not sure if WP can cast video's to the PS3 like Android and iOS...

Facebook is solid on WP. I think I read a big update is coming soonish? Maybe with 8.1?

If you mainly are just concerned with YouTube, Facebook and Twitter as far as Apps go, you'll be fine with Windows Phone.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
So I guess that answers that..they got YouTube covered lol. It would be nice to cast, but its not a dealbraker or anything...just a cool feature..its far easier to search on the phone then the ps3 and you can queue videos too...if you haven't you should try it , if you can, its neat.

Off the top of my head those are probably the primary ones.

Others I use a bit are tapatalk and tune in radio... a browser option other then IE would be nice but I dont think there are any.

Avoiding Bing would be another one, Ive never liked bing, but thats not realistic I know, but Im assuming I can just change my browser start page too. So I can at least limit my exposure.

Everything else I think is already on the phone or provided by Nokia.

Gustavo Pereira

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
If you use social networks a lot, I wouldnt recommend WP right now. Facebook app is terrible, lots of bugs. Same on Twitter. Both receive very few updates. Also, WhatsApp isnt on the store and has not given a official date to comeback.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
just let us know how is your experience with WP... hope you like and recommend your friends.

Well I got one because my brother has one. He routinely gets a day plus on battery. The Here navigation app is miles better then google maps, which Ive always hated. Beter screen better camera etc etc.
Does he/she even know about Windows phone 8.1?

I know of it but I don't know a lot about it. What about it ? and its he. I know there is better youtube integration for the browser but I was really asking about apps, but then again if the browser can get the job done thats ok too.

just use YouTube on IE, you can cast from there, plus listen to videos while your phone is off

this would probably work

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Plus, if you use Tethering for data, then the WP is streets above Android. I have a new WP coming tomorrow. I sent the last one back for random reboots, it was an unlocked gray market one and I suspect they are returned or open box things so you takes your chances on reliability.

Anyway, I have been using the Moto X, Android 4.4.2 and it is driving me nuts as we use an unlimited data package for Tethering the entire household internet supply.

Android stupidly gives precedence to it's own needs and downloads updates when it feels like it. It then hogs the connection and movies stall until it is finished. I already have App-auto-updates off, but installed Apps still have access and precedence. An idiotic situation. I have background tasks set to off to try an eliminate the interference and that seems to be stemming most of the the problems, but it still drops Tethering when it feels like it. The WP never did.

The WP seemed to have a better QoS system. I suspect Android doesn't have that or if it does, it still gives precedence to internal request over what the user wants.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I was concerned about apps but after some research, WP seems to have just about everything I use on a regular basis. I don't see a Siruis/XM app but the only place I use that is at work, and I can still use my iPad with Internet Sharing for that. I'm waiting on a Lumia 1520 that I hope ships at the end of the month.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I've had the phone since Friday and I still haven't found an app that I wanted that's not there. Tapatalk, Shazam, Tune in radio all there. Cant really remember but there were a few that I just looked up but didn't install that were there too. so everything that i could need or want is definitely there. I haven't tried to cast any youtube videos yet but the website runs fine in the browser.

Facebook is a bit crashy though but that could be because I'm running 8.1. Also someone linked a youtube video to me on facebook and when I went to look at it it crashed the whole phone and it got a bit hot. Not sure what that was about but thats the only time its done that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss