My View On Microsoft's Marketing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallas Grimes

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, I've been a long time reader of Mobile Nations and WPCentral, but never really bothered to post anything. Well, I just thought I would spill my feelings on Microsoft's biggest problem, Marketing.

As a college student, most people around me know two companies in today's tech world. One being Apple the other being Google. Microsoft is like the little brother who isn't as famous as the other two. Why? Why is no one jumping on Microsoft's wagon? Well, there are a lot of reasons, but the first, to me, is marketing.

When I look at Microsoft and Google, I and most others see something that makes their products stand out. Apple is obviously elegance, "well-built", and easy to use. Google is "developer focused", good quality at a great price, and innovation.

Microsoft? I don't get a feel for anything honestly. Yet, Microsoft's products have almost ALL of the features these other companies try to market. Lumia phones are well built, look nice, easy to use, have innovative features, and are a great price. All Microsoft products meet most these criteria. However, I don't see anything that tells me that this is true.

Microsoft needs to restructure their whole marketing campaign. I believe (if anyone cares lol) that they need to make one product that is evolutionary (not revolutionary), and market it out of this world. This product wouldn't be hard to make. Just give it a clean look (already done mostly), some great apps that are available out of the box, and a new but "interesting feature." For example, A LOT of people know the iPhone and S5 have fingerprint readers. Is it a great feature? Not to me, but people recognize the product.

After making this product, Microsoft needs to market it to the correct market. With the way Microsoft is going, it seems like they are targeting professionals and the new work force generation. This is great and should be successful if done right.

They need to make me remember the product. Something that stands out. Whether it is a interesting ad, or killer feature, I need to say "That new phone looks pretty awesome."

I don't feel like any Microsoft ads, whatever ones there are, make me do this....

Microsoft has a great product right now, the Surface Pro 3. It can be a huge hit in the professional field. They need to start here. Once people start seeing their products in the real world, the domino effect kicks in. People talk about the product, people try the product, then people buy it.

Sorry for the long post lol, but I just felt like sharing my mind. Thanks for reading!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
How many of these threads are we going to have on marketing? Haven't we all had our say? Yes it sucks.

It's not just marketing that's the issue, though. It's an image issue. They lost any shine they had back in the 90s and early 2000s and they never regained it. They concentrated too much on their market share with business and failed continuously trying to enter the consumer market with the xBox being the only device to make any headway.

Even though I like W8 and WP8, not many businesses are interested in either. MS is still in good shape with their OS due to the recent upgrade that most businesses went to, W7 and other services so they're aren't hurting. However, unless there's more interest in their Windows OS and their WP both in consumer and business we can't say for sure what will happen.

Right now, WP is behind in a lot of ways to many people. Yes if you're a general user you can get by with WP, however, unless you're happy dealing with mobile web or 3rd party, lots of options are out for you. I know many people argue this point but recent studies still show that people want apps. They want the latest apps, they want them at the same time as everyone else and they want them to be like the competition with the same functions. That's not happening on WP currently. It's hard to convince people how great your product is when it's not up to scratch.

That's my two cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs