Major problem with Bing AND Nokia HERE maps.. and Cortana's geofencing as a result.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
FYI, HERE maps and Bing use the same underlying data. That is why you get the same results on each one. It's Nokia's data that is driving Bing Maps.
Yeah, I knew that. They're using NAVTEQ data. And I've come to realize that the actual street addresses really don't affect the "geofencing", as long as the GPS position is saved as the "Place" in order to trigger the reminder or whatever from Cortana. I understand all that... So it actually doesn't affect geofencing (location based reminders) but.. there still is the problem of the addresses being off. It just seems like it could potentially cause problems down the road. (first world problems mind you, but problems nonetheless)

And you're right, that's probably exactly how they do it, and have computers fill in the addresses from one known correct address to another. So, I really want to see if I can submit these corrections and have everything corrected. It KILLS me to see everything perfect on the iPhone's maps!
As far as your home/work location for Cortana, did you manually set those locations by typing a street address? I ask because I never did that. After a couple of weeks Cortana just showed me a map one day and asked me if that was my home. The arrow on the map was directly above my bedroom. About a week after that she did the same for my work. Cortana reminds me to do stuff when I get home all the time with no issues. If you just mark your house on the map it should work. The estimated street address number is irrelevant for the purposes of geofencing. A GPS coordinate is universal and it's not subject to renaming issues, etc.
I think that's where I screwed up. When I first installed 8.1DP and started setting up Cortana, I went through her settings menu and typed in all my "favorite" places in her "places" section. But like I said above, I've since figured out how to make the GPS position markers work for us. (Cortana and I :wink: )

Now we just need to get those addresses corrected!

Thanks for the insight guys!

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes and no....the favorite places are always saved in the Microsoft maps, but you can utilize Waze as your default voice nav map.

So if you ask Cortana "directions home," it will show it in the default maps as the location, but once I hit "start voice nav" it automatically switches to Waze.

In Ed's case, the exact spot shown on the Microsoft map will still be incorrect, but if he launches the navigation via Waze (and as long as his address is the correct location in Waze), it will simply transfer the address request and should work.

But that is for navigation only...I don't think that will change his "address" issue as part of geofencing/location reminders.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's not Cortana's fault. She'd probably work fine if she had the correct addresses to work with...

I could make location based reminders work by lying to her and telling her the wrong address... but I'm sure that would lead to problems down the road in the ecosystem as a whole.. ****, I might even start believing I actually live at 143 after a while!

Lol..... Hilarious!!! :-D rofl..

jjfergie

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem, but not exactly. I can't get Bing maps to search for an address at all. The addresses come up in the list as I'm typing, but selecting an address causes a cannot find address error. This is on EVERY address. I have all of the states maps I need downloaded. It'll search for, for example, Tennessee Aquarium but not it's address. Here+ finds them just fine. Now, how can I get Cortana to use my Here+ favorites instead of the half-baked in Bing maps data?

vishal mehta1

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I just searched for Tennessee Aquarium online it gave me location on bing maps. Just tap on it and it will give you the address. I do not know how you did not get it??

vishal mehta1

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem, but not exactly. I can't get Bing maps to search for an address at all. The addresses come up in the list as I'm typing, but selecting an address causes a cannot find address error. This is on EVERY address. I have all of the states maps I need downloaded. It'll search for, for example, Tennessee Aquarium but not it's address. Here+ finds them just fine. Now, how can I get Cortana to use my Here+ favorites instead of the half-baked in Bing maps data?

I just searched for Tennessee Aquarium online it gave me location on bing maps. Just tap on it and it will give you the address. I do not know how you did not get it??

AryanSharma

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
In my case not exactly same issue but in bing maps location of all points like metro station is off by 100 to 150m and bing maps have hence given me wrong directions twice ending nowhere blindly. Surprisingly with same map data Here maps shows everything at correct location with correct direction. Anyone with same issue?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb