Anyone here full Microsoft?

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'll admit two things here before I begin. 1) I'm a Microsoft ******. 2) I have enough common sense as a ****** to know that the services I use aren't going to meet everyone's needs or preferences.

That being said, is anyone else here but me fully engrained in the Microsoft ecosystem and absolutely loving it?

If you're not, what or why are the reasons? I ask out of curiosity and hopefully I can get a better understanding on the community as a whole.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm a MS fan too. (not gonna say I'm a "******" or anythn; but I'm a great fan). I prefer MS more than Apple and Google and I know I always will! MS has some great potential! The only thing that I don't like about them is I think they are not trying their best to make Windows Phones a better phone, which can be the world's best phone easily! So many basic options are still missing and they are being added so slowly day by day. The best example I can give is the Xbox Music app and the Facebook app. And what pisses me off the most is that it seems like the 3rd party app developers are just not taking WPs seriously!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm all msft for the sole reason that I believe the msft ecosystem works very well with students and workspace environments. the only piece that im missing is an Xbox . Im loving it and I have no complaints :)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes...

We don't have the XBOX...yet have been looking to get one.

I don't read or shop much about MAC or Google\Android compatible stuff.
For us if it isn't good with MS we just shrug and move off.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not.

I do not own any tablets or game consoles.

I don't use smartphones other than Windows Phone.

However, I have 3 PCs: one runs Windows 8.1 only, one runs Ubuntu 13.10 only, and one is dual boot Linux Mint 16/Windows 8.1. I enjoy using Linux as well as using Windows, and the PC that runs Ubuntu was an old XP machine that is not capable of running a newer version of Windows due to hardware limitations.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm partially Microsoft. I use Windows 8.1 on 2 PCs at home, and also Windows Home Server 2011. I also use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Ubuntu Server. My wife has a Chromebook. In the mobile world I prefer Android. I do carry a 920 as a 2nd device, and I also have a 520 that mostly gathers dust. However, neither of them have SIM cards in them.

As far as services, I prefer Google Drive to OneDrive. But I do use both, as well as DropBox and Box. Otherwise I'm all Microsoft. I have an Office 365 subscription. I live on Office at work. At home, what I do with Office could just as well be done with Google's equivalent, but since I use Office otherwise I also use it at home. Hence the Office 365 subscription.

In a nutshell, I'm not a ****** of any company. I tend to pick and choose what works best for me. The nice thing about Microsoft's services is that they provide an excellent experience on Android & iOS, so I'm sacrificing little, if any, convenience by using Android.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have my gmail forwarded to outlook, I primarily use OneDrive for cloud storage and I use OneNote for taking notes and I've been using Windows on computer since pretty much ever, with occasional ubuntu on a secondary laptop.
The services don't work 100% perfect, but they work the best with Windows desktop, WP and Android tablet, which is my mix of devices. Before OneDrive I used Dropbox, but I abandoned it when I switched to WP because there was no good app with camera upload and everything at the time. Now OneDrive also offers camera upload on android devices and it offers more storage out-of-the-box, so on the paper it's better. Dropbox may have a better app on Android, but on WP and Windows, OneDrive is better for me.
Of course I also use M$ Office and not some open alternative and that's mostly it.

I guess if for example I got some extra cash to spend strictly on a tablet, I'd probably definitely get a windows x86 one.
Not a ******, to each their own, it just suits my needs and use-cases the best. Maybe in 3 years I'll get something else on some other platform.

About absolutely loving it, no, I don't. Search is better on Gmail than Outlook.com, Google search engine is far superior to Bing, Google maps transit works almost perfectly in Slovenia while Bing maps or Here maps have not even one bus route. For navigation, I prefer Here Drive to Google Maps, because it works offline and it's free to use. There are other navigation systems out there that may have better features, but Here Drive came free with my phone, it's offline, it talks in Slovene and it works.

I don't have a console, so I don't have a preference there, but I do have the wireless xbox controller hooked into Windows PC, so I guess there is that, I prefer the xbox controller over PS one. I do have an old PSP though, but I rarely even touch it (it was one of those stupid impulse buys)

In general, I use M$ services because they work better on Android then Google services work on Windows, I guess, I don't know.

Oh I do know that I'll probably never use anything Apple, not a device, not a service.

Roderick Johnson

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Between me and my wife we have 2 win 8 laptops a surface rt and dell venue pro 8, a lumia 920 and 1020. I have an office 365 professional subscriptionand Dynamics CRM. I have outlook.com for personal and outlook hosted business email and. I use One Drive for cloud storage, One Note, Lync for webinarsand Internet Explorer. Yeah, I am pretty much all in and my mother uses a 920 that I bought for her.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have two 1520s, a Windows 8.1 laptop and my W8.1 Dell Venue Pro II. No gaming system though.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520, w/AT&T using Tapatalk

Anidexlu Maga

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
S.O./Hardware

L620, L928, Surface Pro 1, Surface Pro 2, Win 8.1 in desktop PC. Soon, I'll have my Surface Pro 3! Plus, I'm the only one in the office running Windows (which leads to many jokes). Also, MS Keyboard and mouse!

Services/software
Xbox music (music pass). Outlook. OneDrive. OneNote.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I am Microsoft from top to bottom. I use a home built PC running Windows 8.1 with the Media Center add on that serves as a gaming and HTPC. I have a HDhomerun TV tuner that lets my PC watch, record, and manage my cable TV subscription through media center. I also use an original surface pro with media center add on that lets me watch my cable TV wirelessly on it. I use a Lumia 920 for my phone with 4 Qi wireless chargers scattered around the house. I have 3 Xbox 360's all connected to my PC for centralized TV watching and recording though the whole house. I use storage spaces on windows 8.1 to store all my media. I currently have 12 TB of backed up storage space. I use OneDrive to back up and share all my photos and documents. I pay for 200 gb. My parents both have Lumia 520's. I have a year Xbox music subscription. I guess you can say I'm all in...

I also have an almost complete apple ecosystem at home too, but that's for another post...

The only things that seem to be worse than my apple ecosystem is the way Microsoft manages media. I find it nothing short of a complete joke that I can only download a song or movie 5 times and then no more. Apple lets you download as much as you want. I also can't transfer a video that I bought off of Xbox video to my 920 while its connected to my computer with the USB? I have to download it through the phone! How stupid is that?

I really miss being able to rate my songs and make smart playlists like iTunes does.

Why the hell can't Microsoft make an airplay equivalent for the Xbox?????

I'm pretty happy with what I have I guess. Things work together for the most part. I'm just hanging on for dear life that they fix their media management soon so I don't have to rely on apple for my media purchases.

johncbennett

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Full Microsoft, except for one old Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, used by my wife

Home:
Windows 8.1 on Dell desktop PC, HP Laptop and Lenovo Miix 2 8" tablet
Windows Home Server 2011 on Acer Aspire AH340.
Windows Phone 8.1 on Nokia Lumia 925 (me) and Nokia Lumia 520 (wife)
Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse
Microsoft media keyboard
Xbox 360
Xbox Music Pass

Work (small software developer):
Windows 7 on all client PCs
Windows Small Business Server 2011 on Dell Server
Windows Storage Server 2011 on repurposed Dell PC
Windows 8.1 on HP Laptop
Office365 subscription
Microsoft Action Pack subscriber

widgetgrrl

May 28, 2014
Visit site
As a tech support professional I tend to play in all sorts of OSes. I guess you can call me a "fan boy" of both MS and Apple. Apple tends to do better with music.

For now its Windows 8.1 on computer and phone, it was a long wait for me as the consumer preview on Windows 8 trashed a brand new laptop due to its use of basic drives.. it installed to all 3 partitions on teh physical drive. I cussed and swore at MS for a year or so.

Fast fwrd to 8.1 and I bought a computer that had it. I do not really like the Metro screen but have learned how to get around it. I adore my Nokia Lumia 1020 and the integration between phone and laptop. I look forward to getting a tablet to go with them. Something with memory so that I can use it to fiddle with the killer images the phone takes.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Full Microsoft here, I run windows 8.1 desktop, Rt and soon to be Surface pro 3, and a windows phone.

All my calendars sync, email is great, one drive is fantastic for me at least. I mostly game on my desktop so I don't have a Xbox one.

Don't get me wrong I love innovative tech things like what samsung and apple have done but I'm a power user of windows and just use it more efficiently and know how to fix things (which might be why I don't mind it).

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
All in. Between myself and DW.
Two Lumia 920, mine is 8.1 and hers is still 8.0
Desktop Win7 Pro, ASUS P8Z77-V LE, 8GB RipJaws, I5 3470S
Laptops, Win7 and Win8.1
Surface RT
Xbox 360
And still running Microsoft UltimateTV, RCA DVR on DirecTV

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I guess you could call me an MS Fan given my reluctance to use IOS or Android products, but yeah I have a x1, wp and w7 laptop nothing is running windows 8 at present despite having used all iterations via VMware - I don't think my siblings are ready for that transition yet :p. However I would never just solely use Microsoft products, If I did I would not certainly have gotten to enjoy games such as the Uncharted Trilogy on the PS3 (I don't see Sony letting Naughty Dog - [the developers of the trilogy] release a game for Xbox 1 let alone an Uncharted Trilogy port)

In my social circle I have been able to convince (or I guess you could say convert? :grin: ) people to get WP. Lumia Cyan can not come fast enough lol, as the 8.1 update really address the main gripe the people around me have - no centralised notification centre - ole habits aren't easy to kick. But I know where they are coming from in that regard. Now with Cortana being touted as coming to the UK soon, I guess i got the break I needed to tip some potential buyers off the fence and into the WP bandwagon :p.

Last edited:

Dhr Paul

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Devices:
Full MS here (since 6 months), Windows Phone 8.1, Windows 8.1 update 1, Windows RT and Xbox One
And i have to say, i love it! I really like the sync between devices as a busy college student with thousands of notes.

Services:
Outlook, Onenote, OneDrive and Office, and Bing, however Bing is still not good enough for me (The Netherlands), compared to the results in Google and the functions in the USA.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am full MS except Xbox. Work desktop, Surface RT, Ativ S Neo, home laptop. Love the syncability (is that even a word?) across all my devices.

The wife? Oh the wife. Mac desktop at home, BlackBerry Bold and BlackBerry PlayBook. She absolutely HATES full touchscreen phones and thinks iPhones are for snobs. I won't even think of getting her to switch 'cause she's only had 3 smartphones in the last 10 years - Treo 650, Pre 2 & present BB.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers