Did Satya just throw us under the bus?

Traxan

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Re/Code, the site run by Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher, is having a conference in SoCal this week, and Satya Nadella is a guest speaker. Look at this quote regarding WP:

Walt: What do you have to change that caused you to miss those turns. The smartphone was a pretty big deal. You were making them. you were making sort-of, kind-of smartphones. Then iPhone came along and Android came along.

Nadella: It's an interesting question, but should it be the one he is worried about. We have 4 percent global mobile market share. I think the question is what is the next thing that is going to make us better.

That sure sounds like he is giving up on WP8 as a platform, doesn't it? Remember, the Nokia purchase was not his idea, it was Ballmer's.

Don't just say I'm wrong, tell me why.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
That statement is kind of vague to make conclusions. Maybe Nadella is thinking to improve the whole WP experience to the better, integrating the whole ecosystem with RT, remember that he came from the cloud division of MS. Anyway he just made clear that Xbox and Bing are not for sale.

Xbox and Bing are not for sale.

So, with that i doubt Nadella will just simply give up WP. The fight for mobile space is tough... but at least the fight is on.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
That sure sounds like he is giving up on WP8 as a platform, doesn't it?

Not to me. Again, the whole conversation is not there

Apoorvdec

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
MS will never give up wp . Mobile market is exploding and its eating up pc market , in which MS has a strong hold . If wp becomes a success, all MS services will also make huge profits though wp phones

Traxan

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Well there was also this:

The man is pretty direct. This was a bombshell to me.

The quote:

Kara: Were you in favor of the Nokia deal when it was first struck?

Satya: "I'm not going to answer that."

I think that Mr. Nadella wishes Microsoft had not acquired the phone company because it leaves Microsoft saddled with lots of employees, patents and technology to fight a battle his heart's not really in.

Not good.

Skunkwurx

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
He is saying: I do not want to answer what made us miss the turn/smartphones... meaning if I tell you what we're changing, that is what made them miss the turn.... Instead he says he's keeping an eye out for the next turn, probably wearable's... or the day Intel squeeze an i7 (or equivalent) into a phone so you only have one device (Asus Padfone idea)... In fairness to the then smartphoneish industry at the time, Windows mobile and BB did WAY more than the iPhone when it came out... But the iPhone changed what a phone was, could look like should look like and worked like no other phone... I imagine at the time it was as if the truck drivers (WM and BB users) ran out of the truck show room to the Tesla garage... loaded with cool and sleek tech and absolutely useless for the trucker I mean WM user... I'd say that's why both Ballmer and Blackberry scoffed at the idea... updates made it useable for the truck driver as well as androids release and the old phone was dead...
I think more than anything he was saying we aren't missing any more corners, not he's looking elseware

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Way to vague of a quote to really try to read into. As far as the Nokia deal, his no comment doesn't really indicate anything. Maybe he's under an nda and can't say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
He is saying: I do not want to answer what made us miss the turn/smartphones... meaning if I tell you what we're changing, that is what made them miss the turn.... Instead he says he's keeping an eye out for the next turn, probably wearable's... or the day Intel squeeze an i7 (or equivalent) into a phone so you only have one device (Asus Padfone idea)... In fairness to the then smartphoneish industry at the time, Windows mobile and BB did WAY more than the iPhone when it came out... But the iPhone changed what a phone was, could look like should look like and worked like no other phone... I imagine at the time it was as if the truck drivers (WM and BB users) ran out of the truck show room to the Tesla garage... loaded with cool and sleek tech and absolutely useless for the trucker I mean WM user... I'd say that's why both Ballmer and Blackberry scoffed at the idea... updates made it useable for the truck driver as well as androids release and the old phone was dead...
I think more than anything he was saying we aren't missing any more corners, not he's looking elseware

What are you trying to say? I can't follow this at all.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak to this since there is a lot of context missing. Context is everything. Where is this link from where this quote taken from?

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
You are over analyzing the statement, he is just doing what we all should do learn from our mistakes and focus in the future. There is no win to cry about what they did wrong.
Re/Code, the site run by Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher, is having a conference in SoCal this week, and Satya Nadella is a guest speaker. Look at this quote regarding WP:

Walt: What do you have to change that caused you to miss those turns. The smartphone was a pretty big deal. You were making them. you were making sort-of, kind-of smartphones. Then iPhone came along and Android came along.

Nadella: It's an interesting question, but should it be the one he is worried about. We have 4 percent global mobile market share. I think the question is what is the next thing that is going to make us better.

That sure sounds like he is giving up on WP8 as a platform, doesn't it? Remember, the Nokia purchase was not his idea, it was Ballmer's.

Don't just say I'm wrong, tell me why.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Well there was also this:

The man is pretty direct. This was a bombshell to me.

The quote:

Kara: Were you in favor of the Nokia deal when it was first struck?

Satya: "I'm not going to answer that."

I think that Mr. Nadella wishes Microsoft had not acquired the phone company because it leaves Microsoft saddled with lots of employees, patents and technology to fight a battle his heart's not really in.

Not good.

Really? That's your take from him no answering the question? Have you think about the don't disclose clause documents they more probably than not signed?

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Really? That's your take from him no answering the question? Have you think about the don't disclose clause documents they more probably than not signed?

I think he disagreed with the acquisition but now that he's CEO he's saddled with it. His vision is "software and services", not "devices". The devices are simply there to ensure Microsoft's services don't get locked out by their competitors who are getting a pass from the regulators and the press for doing in a major way what Microsoft was smacked down for doing in a minor way ten years ago.

Additional reasons for no comment:
A) He doesn't wish to start a s**tstorm by dissing the acquisition.
B) If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
C) It would be very unprofessional.
D) It would be a distraction from his current task of reorienting Microsoft.
E) It would kneecap what little momentum WP8 has and devalue the Nokia acquisition even further.
F) It could very well trigger a shareholder lawsuit.
G) He remembers Elop's "Burning Platform" memo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99