05-30-2014 10:05 AM
42 12
tools
    Re/Code, the site run by Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher, is having a conference in SoCal this week, and Satya Nadella is a guest speaker. Look at this quote regarding WP:

Walt: What do you have to change that caused you to miss those turns. The smartphone was a pretty big deal. You were making them. you were making sort-of, kind-of smartphones. Then iPhone came along and Android came along.

Nadella: It's an interesting question, but should it be the one he is worried about. We have 4 percent global mobile market share. I think the question is what is the next thing that is going to make us better.

That sure sounds like he is giving up on WP8 as a platform, doesn't it? Remember, the Nokia purchase was not his idea, it was Ballmer's.

Don't just say I'm wrong, tell me why.
    05-28-2014 02:04 PM
    I believe he is referring to ways to improve WP experience, not to shut it down and look for something else.
    05-28-2014 02:11 PM
    Then you aren't seeing the big picture and what they are trying to accomplish with Windows, WP and Xbox.
    05-28-2014 02:22 PM
    That statement is kind of vague to make conclusions. Maybe Nadella is thinking to improve the whole WP experience to the better, integrating the whole ecosystem with RT, remember that he came from the cloud division of MS. Anyway he just made clear that Xbox and Bing are not for sale.

Xbox and Bing are not for sale.

So, with that i doubt Nadella will just simply give up WP. The fight for mobile space is tough... but at least the fight is on.
    05-28-2014 02:58 PM
    I think you are reading into it too much.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    05-28-2014 03:10 PM
    That sure sounds like he is giving up on WP8 as a platform, doesn't it?

Not to me. Again, the whole conversation is not there
    05-28-2014 03:13 PM
    He is referring to various possibilities to improve the platform, instead of shutting it down.
    05-28-2014 03:19 PM
    MS will never give up wp . Mobile market is exploding and its eating up pc market , in which MS has a strong hold . If wp becomes a success, all MS services will also make huge profits though wp phones
    thaman04 likes this.
    05-28-2014 03:20 PM
    Its more like, what do we do to get on Apple and Androids level sooner.
    A895 and Kevin Rush like this.
    05-28-2014 05:15 PM
    A bit vague to come to that conclusion
    05-28-2014 05:40 PM
    Well there was also this:

The man is pretty direct. This was a bombshell to me.

The quote:

Kara: Were you in favor of the Nokia deal when it was first struck?

Satya: "I'm not going to answer that."

I think that Mr. Nadella wishes Microsoft had not acquired the phone company because it leaves Microsoft saddled with lots of employees, patents and technology to fight a battle his heart's not really in.

Not good.
    Beijendorf likes this.
    05-28-2014 09:46 PM
    He is saying: I do not want to answer what made us miss the turn/smartphones... meaning if I tell you what we're changing, that is what made them miss the turn.... Instead he says he's keeping an eye out for the next turn, probably wearable's... or the day Intel squeeze an i7 (or equivalent) into a phone so you only have one device (Asus Padfone idea)... In fairness to the then smartphoneish industry at the time, Windows mobile and BB did WAY more than the iPhone when it came out... But the iPhone changed what a phone was, could look like should look like and worked like no other phone... I imagine at the time it was as if the truck drivers (WM and BB users) ran out of the truck show room to the Tesla garage... loaded with cool and sleek tech and absolutely useless for the trucker I mean WM user... I'd say that's why both Ballmer and Blackberry scoffed at the idea... updates made it useable for the truck driver as well as androids release and the old phone was dead...
    I think more than anything he was saying we aren't missing any more corners, not he's looking elseware
    05-28-2014 11:23 PM
    Way to vague of a quote to really try to read into. As far as the Nokia deal, his no comment doesn't really indicate anything. Maybe he's under an nda and can't say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-28-2014 11:30 PM
    It doesn't sound like that at all. It sounds like he didn't want to answer what caused MS to miss out on the smart phone market.
    thaman04 likes this.
    05-29-2014 03:28 AM
    He is saying: I do not want to answer what made us miss the turn/smartphones... meaning if I tell you what we're changing, that is what made them miss the turn.... Instead he says he's keeping an eye out for the next turn, probably wearable's... or the day Intel squeeze an i7 (or equivalent) into a phone so you only have one device (Asus Padfone idea)... In fairness to the then smartphoneish industry at the time, Windows mobile and BB did WAY more than the iPhone when it came out... But the iPhone changed what a phone was, could look like should look like and worked like no other phone... I imagine at the time it was as if the truck drivers (WM and BB users) ran out of the truck show room to the Tesla garage... loaded with cool and sleek tech and absolutely useless for the trucker I mean WM user... I'd say that's why both Ballmer and Blackberry scoffed at the idea... updates made it useable for the truck driver as well as androids release and the old phone was dead...
    I think more than anything he was saying we aren't missing any more corners, not he's looking elseware
    What are you trying to say? I can't follow this at all.

05-29-2014 05:47 AM
    I can't speak to this since there is a lot of context missing. Context is everything. Where is this link from where this quote taken from?
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-29-2014 06:42 AM
    Lol you totally misunderstood him, of course he wouldn't blatantly say something like that.
    Last edited by DennisvdG; 05-30-2014 at 05:54 AM.
    thaman04 likes this.
    05-29-2014 07:03 AM
    You are over analyzing the statement, he is just doing what we all should do learn from our mistakes and focus in the future. There is no win to cry about what they did wrong.
    Re/Code, the site run by Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher, is having a conference in SoCal this week, and Satya Nadella is a guest speaker. Look at this quote regarding WP:

Walt: What do you have to change that caused you to miss those turns. The smartphone was a pretty big deal. You were making them. you were making sort-of, kind-of smartphones. Then iPhone came along and Android came along.

Nadella: It's an interesting question, but should it be the one he is worried about. We have 4 percent global mobile market share. I think the question is what is the next thing that is going to make us better.

That sure sounds like he is giving up on WP8 as a platform, doesn't it? Remember, the Nokia purchase was not his idea, it was Ballmer's.

Don't just say I'm wrong, tell me why.
    05-29-2014 07:18 AM

The quote:

I think that Mr. Nadella wishes Microsoft had not acquired the phone company because it leaves Microsoft saddled with lots of employees, patents and technology to fight a battle his heart's not really in.

Not good.
    Really? That's your take from him no answering the question? Have you think about the don't disclose clause documents they more probably than not signed?
    thaman04 likes this.
    05-29-2014 07:27 AM
    Really? That's your take from him no answering the question? Have you think about the don't disclose clause documents they more probably than not signed?
    I think he disagreed with the acquisition but now that he's CEO he's saddled with it. His vision is "software and services", not "devices". The devices are simply there to ensure Microsoft's services don't get locked out by their competitors who are getting a pass from the regulators and the press for doing in a major way what Microsoft was smacked down for doing in a minor way ten years ago.

Additional reasons for no comment:
    A) He doesn't wish to start a s**tstorm by dissing the acquisition.
    B) If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
    C) It would be very unprofessional.
    D) It would be a distraction from his current task of reorienting Microsoft.
    E) It would kneecap what little momentum WP8 has and devalue the Nokia acquisition even further.
    F) It could very well trigger a shareholder lawsuit.
    G) He remembers Elop's "Burning Platform" memo.
    Beijendorf likes this.
    05-29-2014 08:00 AM
    Software like the Surface Pro 3?
    05-29-2014 08:15 AM
    He's not just the CEO for WP. That's why he quickly silenced rumors about Xbox and Bing being for sale. He's looking at the next big thing to put MSFT on another level. This is the point that many don't see. WP is a piece of that. Andriod may own the mobile market, but MSFT has them beat in software developement, server enterprise, gaming enterprise, and desktop and laptop hardware. I think he sees WP's ability to integrate the other MSFT components. This is one of the reasons with 8.1 you see VPN and MDM integration. The ability to digitally sign and encrypt emails and have SSL and gateway protocols so that IT departments on a corporate level can all exchange access. Initially WP was only looked to be strictly a mobile platform, but with the popularity of BYOD, and the fact that most big level corporations are already invested in MSFT, this brought another element. With the security that WP provides, more then Andriod, and the flexibility it provides, more than iOS, WP has the potential to be the replacement to Blackberries as the preferred phone provided to those is positions of leadership on a government level, and entice those utilitzing BYOD to look more in WP's direction.
    05-29-2014 10:16 AM
    It really depends on if you're a glass half full, or half empty guy in regards to how you want to interpret such a vague comment.
    05-29-2014 10:26 AM
    He's not just the CEO for WP. That's why he quickly silenced rumors about Xbox and Bing being for sale. He's looking at the next big thing to put MSFT on another level. This is the point that many don't see. WP is a piece of that. Andriod may own the mobile market, but MSFT has them beat in software developement, server enterprise, gaming enterprise, and desktop and laptop hardware. I think he sees WP's ability to integrate the other MSFT components. This is one of the reasons with 8.1 you see VPN and MDM integration. The ability to digitally sign and encrypt emails and have SSL and gateway protocols so that IT departments on a corporate level can all exchange access. Initially WP was only looked to be strictly a mobile platform, but with the popularity of BYOD, and the fact that most big level corporations are already invested in MSFT, this brought another element. With the security that WP provides, more then Andriod, and the flexibility it provides, more than iOS, WP has the potential to be the replacement to Blackberries as the preferred phone provided to those is positions of leadership on a government level, and entice those utilitzing BYOD to look more in WP's direction.
    I see that you always look at the Enterprise side of things which is a good market without a doubt. But Microsoft is now having to fave the fact that the consumer market is where they really need to shine.

You can the own the Enterprise smartphone market but what's that 5-10% of total smartphone market compared to the other 90-95% that you don't have a presence in. They want to be mass consumer friendly that's why things are cheaper and they are bringing some keyboard and mouse familiarity in Windows 8.

They want to be a part do the consumer market. But the fact remains is before you take on the best fighters in the conference you have to make sure you are trained and ready and know what you need to do before hand. They are just figuring that out now with WP8.1 but they have to also consider that:

1.)Entry level smartphone market is saturated. Android has and continues to rule this roost but they are just now making decent phones for this segment. Nokia has definitely gained some fans here as well as grow WP market share.

2.) The high end is getting saturated. We have now reached the point where you don't need to upgrade very 6 months or year, phones are lasting 2 years now. What would make those who have spent 2 years on another platform move to WP?

3.) Smartphone market is going to change this year and next year a lot. Not only is iOS going to have a larger iPhone which no doubt will get a lot of people off of Android, Google is going forward with Android Silver which is Hugh end devices running stock android with lots of marketing with strict guidelines. There might even be a UI refresh on Android if leaks are to be believed.

Android and iOS are not just sitting on their laurels. Microsoft has the added advantage of Xbox and Windows but they still fail to leverage it correctly so that they can force people to move or get Devs on.

05-29-2014 10:35 AM

The quote:

Not good.
    He wasn't initially on board with it. Neither was Gates. It was pushed by Ballmer.

Eventually Ballmer won over Nadella. Gates was still against it though.

Check this out: http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...pped-down.html
    05-29-2014 10:39 AM
42 12