How to make Windows Phone killer

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
We have apps, we need more. Making the base OS much better than Android and iOS would make it more likely for devs to spend time,with and enjoy using it.

Your right and it would help, but they can love the OS all they want, if it doesn't make financial sense to develop for it they probably wont.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We have apps, we need more. Making the base OS much better than Android and iOS would make it more likely for devs to spend time,with and enjoy using it.

I don't agree. App developers need volume of users - that's what brings in ad and sales revenue and makes developing quality apps worthwhile. Good apps aren't cheap to make and developers need to be assured that their investment will pay off.

Microsoft has done everything right - the only thing wrong is the fact that Apple and Google built up a significant customer base before Microsoft got things off the ground.

Trench Mouth

Banned
Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I know this is off topic, sort of, we are talking about apps. I am resetting my phone, and as I am waiting for apps to reinstall, I noticed that the light view of the app waiting to be downloaded on the start screen actually fills up like a status bar as it is downloaded - in real time. The app icon went from dull, to filling with color to normal right on the start screen. I never saw that before, maybe something to do with the update?

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Flagship phones always free under contract, and $100 cheaper than a moto x or nexus 5 off contract. Money always rules. If you charge less, people will come.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that MS is a late entrant to the smartphone market.... so unless WP is able to provide something that the other 2 (iOS & droid) cannot, seriously doubt many people would convert.
Almost everyone round me is a droid user & although they like the UI & live tiles....get turned off by the lack of apps & features.

HAMEDACC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
All of us know about WP disadvantages, like: lag, frustrating Resuming, battery raining and this kind of issues
But these are not the main issues
the main Issue is that DEVELOPERS have not any INTEREST in WP OS platform
and it causes killing app gap and app last update gap

I think MS and WP team do all they could, JUST there is NO DEV SUPPORT

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
ya the notification center was a total let down for me ...but atleast it gives u the ability to turn on & off wifi, mobile data, etc easily rather than having to go through settings each time + removing the hubs was a bad decision in my opinion, its what differentiated WP from android...sure it had bugs but it was a selling point

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
All of us know about WP disadvantages, like: lag, frustrating Resuming, battery raining and this kind of issues
But these are not the main issues
the main Issue is that DEVELOPERS have not any INTEREST in WP OS platform
and it causes killing app gap and app last update gap

I think MS and WP team do all they could, JUST there is NO DEV SUPPORT
Devs are likely to develop for something they like to use. Devs like iPhones, hence even though there are more Androids in use, iPhones have more devs. If MS makes a phone that appeals more than the iPhone and not merely an iPhone with tiles, then there would be something. Also, all phones have lag. Battery, etc. I've given up on finding one that doesn't and just look for the least frustrating one.

Sting921

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Reducing the 'Resuming app' time would be pretty good and after that as someone said above making attractive phones can help. People tend to you sexier looking phones especially celebrities. Making the UI more attractive is another thing that should be done.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Reducing the 'Resuming app' time would be pretty good and after that as someone said above making attractive phones can help. People tend to you sexier looking phones especially celebrities. Making the UI more attractive is another thing that should be done.

This is BS. I think Androids are some of the ugliest phones I've seen and yet they outsell everything.

Why do people complain about the UI? The whole point of the UI was simplicity. Now all I hear is complaints about it. I fully blame MS for not explaining the WP properly and not advertising it well. That's been 50% of the issues with WP. The other 50% has been apps.

You can make fantastic looking phones, you can load it with features. Means absolutely nothing if no one is going to buy it because it doesn't have x.,y or z app. This is one of the main issues with WP. It hasn't changed since I started using it over 1 1/2 years ago. 3rd party apps won't cut it. People want the 'real' app and if you don't have it people will ask why. Image, like I said is everything. It doesn't matter if the app is a port of iOS or Android at least get the damn thing on WP then see about making it a WP app. Games shouldn't be an issue but yet we lack tonnes of them too.

So to make WP killer means MS has to advertise the crap out of it and get the main apps people want. Until then nothing else matters. Features and customization aside, apps are number one priority.

It's sad to think we've been saying this for almost 2 years now. Not much has changed.

Sting921

May 17, 2014
Visit site
This is BS. I think Androids are some of the ugliest phones I've seen and yet they outsell everything.

Why do people complain about the UI? The whole point of the UI was simplicity. Now all I hear is complaints about it. I fully blame MS for not explaining the WP properly and not advertising it well. That's been 50% of the issues with WP. The other 50% has been apps.

You can make fantastic looking phones, you can load it with features. Means absolutely nothing if no one is going to buy it because it doesn't have x.,y or z app. This is one of the main issues with WP. It hasn't changed since I started using it over 1 1/2 years ago. 3rd party apps won't cut it. People want the 'real' app and if you don't have it people will ask why. Image, like I said is everything. It doesn't matter if the app is a port of iOS or Android at least get the damn thing on WP then see about making it a WP app. Games shouldn't be an issue but yet we lack tonnes of them too.

So to make WP killer means MS has to advertise the crap out of it and get the main apps people want. Until then nothing else matters. Features and customization aside, apps are number one priority.

It's sad to think we've been saying this for almost 2 years now. Not much has changed.
I disagree. When the android phones came in market, they were available in different designs and sizes catering to different taste. This is due large number of manufacturers adopting Android. Even today companies like Sony come up with a flagship every 6 months while Nokia is not so par with the competition and also lack of choices in WP is also a let down. I never complained about the UI, I feel the Windows 8 UI is very beautiful and simple but still needs improvement. Especially the Action centre could be alot better rather than being very basic.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Thread title: How to make Windows Phone Killer

well perhaps Microsoft can encourage Samsung or other OEMs to make their f**king own imaging algorithm rather than using Nokia's one to be used by any OEMs through Microsoft Camera

I firmly believe there are ways to make Windows Phone better without taking uniqueness of one OEM even after The Great Absorption

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte