This is how Apple will invent live tiles.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't normally like this website which I am about to share the link to and I don't normally like to care about Apple but one of my friends sent me an email with subject line "This is what your phone should have been". It made me think, why people's perception of Apple inventing everything and Microsoft not innovating at all may after all be slightly Microsoft's own issue.

We've had so many threads in the past where users talked about "interactive" live tiles. Yes, WP is all about simplicity and modern design, but if this video is the next iOS UI being launched in a week, I can see exactly why this will make live tiles look like iOS blocks and why in a year's time people will say "Apple invented interactive blocks that Microsoft copied as interactive live tiles"

I would like to point out that this is just a concept. Just a concept. But point being how Apple's flat design UI followed by such interactive icons - is not an innovation or invention, but just copying.

Thoughts?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thehe wwdc is around the corner and if THIS is ios 8 apple will say "This is called innovation and we did it first on any mobile platform " I also read somewhere Microsoft made some patents for live tiles ?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This is a concept based on what people think the leaks suggest. I doubt this is exactly how it will be, but since its flat design, Apple is willing to go with widgets

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This is a concept based on what people think the leaks suggest. I doubt this is exactly how it will be, but since its flat design, Apple is willing to go with widgets

I wonder if widgets will be available on older devices (my iPad 3 or iPhone 4s) and they are also focusing on multitasking on ipad. Similar to what we have on windows 8/8.1.

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Thehe wwdc is around the corner and if THIS is ios 8 apple will say "This is called innovation and we did it first on any mobile platform " I also read somewhere Microsoft made some patents for live tiles ?

I guess it was other way round microsoft was sued by surfcast for using live tile(they told that it was their idea which they had already patent and Microsoft infringement it) i dont know what happen to that case you can bing it.
But if Microsoft won the case they should now patent the live tile.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nice as a concept, but I think people will grow tired of the dexterity required to grow the tiles - it would certainly give my thumb cramp after a few minutes. It also goes against the ethos of being able to use the phone in one hand.

Really nice idea and execution though.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Looks pretty good to me as a concept, I think if they release bigger screens with a decent iteration of interactive icons/tiles MS may be in trouble, especially given the recent camera patents apple filed. With regards to who invented what, it sucks, but it is what it is, some people just blindly believe the marketing hype without doing their own research, not much can be done about that sadly.

Apple hasn't invented a lot of stuff, but you gotta accept that they were pretty good when it came to the execution of their own iteration, when it comes to that MS has a number of things they need to improve.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Nice as a concept, but I think people will grow tired of the dexterity required to grow the tiles - it would certainly give my thumb cramp after a few minutes. It also goes against the ethos of being able to use the phone in one hand.

Really nice idea and execution though.

as far as I understand the concept, growing the icon is one option, but you can also turn it into a bigger interactive version and leave it that way.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't normally like this website which I am about to share the link to and I don't normally like to care about Apple but one of my friends sent me an email with subject line "This is what your phone should have been". It made me think, why people's perception of Apple inventing everything and Microsoft not innovating at all may after all be slightly Microsoft's own issue.

We've had so many threads in the past where users talked about "interactive" live tiles. Yes, WP is all about simplicity and modern design, but if this video is the next iOS UI being launched in a week, I can see exactly why this will make live tiles look like iOS blocks and why in a year's time people will say "Apple invented interactive blocks that Microsoft copied as interactive live tiles"

I would like to point out that this is just a concept. Just a concept. But point being how Apple's flat design UI followed by such interactive icons - is not an innovation or invention, but just copying.

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhSOzmmCiU

This is ok concept but it wouldn't work well at all with folders.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Interactive live tiles would have made things sooo much easier for everyone! It would even be better for the 512mb ram devices since you can just do things directly from the start screen instead of going into the app and using more ram. Microsoft, WAKE UP!!!

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Apples design team has already taken design cues from WP. Seeing something like this doesn't surprise me. I'm not against that feature just because iOS users will need an extra motion to see the extra information we already can see without that level of effort. Second, its a VERY clever take on the Live Tile concept, doesn't abandon Apples current OS design, and since its not yet mentioned, there's a level of security to be found in that feature. I'm not pro Apple, but I feel this would push Microsoft to innovate harder.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Interactive live tiles would have made things sooo much easier for everyone! It would even be better for the 512mb ram devices since you can just do things directly from the start screen instead of going into the app and using more ram. Microsoft, WAKE UP!!!

I'd really like to see you use your 512MB RAM device with 30 or more pinned interactive tiles to the home screen. In their current state, live tiles might not consume much RAM, which is why low memory devices still feel fluently and smooth. But adding interactive capabilities would dramatically increase memory consumption and you'd certainly find yourself using a device that become more and more laggy with each tile you pin.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'd really like to see you use your 512MB RAM device with 30 or more pinned interactive tiles to the home screen. In their current state, live tiles might not consume much RAM, which is why low memory devices still feel fluently and smooth. But adding interactive capabilities would dramatically increase memory consumption and you'd certainly find yourself using a device that become more and more laggy with each tile you pin.

No not EVERY tile is going to be interactive! Basically it will be music players with play, pause, next buttons etc... Live tiles doesnt have any effect on the performance now, interactive live tiles will also not affect the performance im pretty sure!

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No not EVERY tile is going to be interactive! Basically it will be music players with play, pause, next buttons etc... Live tiles doesnt have any effect on the performance now, interactive live tiles will also not affect the performance im pretty sure!

You're wrong, sorry. ;) Live tiles DO have an impact on the overall performance. Especially those who make use of background agents. The reason why you don't notice it, is because of the clever way the OS handles resources and the strict limitations to how much memory a background agent is permitted to consume. Interactive live tiles on the other hand would have to keep event observers running in the background all the time, which inevitably increases the memory footprint of each live tile offering this feature. In the end it's up to the user how many of these tiles he adds to his homescreen, but MS's goal with WP so far has always been to keep the OS as fluent and stable as humanly possible, even when being used by people who don't have the slightest clue what the heck they're doing.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
You're wrong, sorry. ;) Live tiles DO have an impact on the overall performance. Especially those who make use of background agents. The reason why you don't notice it, is because of the clever way the OS handles resources and the strict limitations to how much memory a background agent is permitted to consume. Interactive live tiles on the other hand would have to keep event observers running in the background all the time, which inevitably increases the memory footprint of each live tile offering this feature. In the end it's up to the user how many of these tiles he adds to his homescreen, but MS's goal with WP so far has always been to keep the OS as fluent and stable as humanly possible, even when being used by people who don't have the slightest clue what the heck they're doing.

You know what, this arguement is useless...WPs dont have interactive tiles yet so we dont know, and if it does someday then im pretty sure Microsoft is going to find a way to make those run fluently even in the low ram phones somehow...
Anyways peace out :)

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Still this idea is much behind live tiles you have to stretch your fingers to see info.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Apple would be stupid not to do something like this, particularly if they are launching devices with larger screens. They need to make use of that extra space somehow, particularly now when even the average Joe is catching on how iOS is, from a users perspective, just a glorified app launcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion