The missing one killer WP feature!

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As a new member to the WP family... I've browsed these forums and one thing I consistently see is users talking about market share, why they think Microsoft is so far behind and the one thing they always say is "Windows phones are great but lack one killer feature to pull people away from their current smart phone ecosystem". Well, I think it's time we get a little creative, wishful, inventive, and brainstorm. If you could come up with one killer phone feature what would it be? Let's come up with something amazing. All ideas are welcome.

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
As a new member to the WP family... I've browsed these forums and one thing I consistently see is users talking about market share, why they think Microsoft is so far behind and the one thing they always say is "Windows phones are great but lack one killer feature to pull people away from their current smart phone ecosystem". Well, I think it's time we get a little creative, wishful, inventive, and brainstorm. If you could come up with one killer phone feature what would it be? Let's come up with something amazing. All ideas are welcome.

The ability to run ALL apps and games, even on 512MB devices.
Yes, the games and apps may run slowly, but they may even run smoothly!

I've tried patched versions of GTA: San Andreas (I purchased the app before for L920!) and tried Subway Surfers on my L630, and works well!
This would be a good idea!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Better Xbox integration. Get some arcade games that can played on you Xbox and Windows Phone and all achievements. Then work on getting more 3d games that work on Xbox and Windows Phone. (I think Halo:Spartan Assault is the only one).

I also think that if you have Windows Phone you get Xbox Live Gold free. That would make me throw money. I hate paying $10 a month for it.

For the first part they are getting there with Universal Apps. But Windows Phone needs more universal games as well, as they have Xbox Integration which no other platform has and they should leverage it. Microsoft should also make sure that apps that are companion to games on Xbox 360/One should be out on Windows Phone the same day as Android and iOS. (For example, has UniSoft even confirmed a WatchDogs app for WP?). Companion apps to Xbox games should be a priority along with regular ones.

Window Phone already has a killer feature in Xbox, but it needs to be implemented better so it can market towards gamers who own Xbox consoles. Then this could be implemented in a Surface phone with the latest specs and on all 4 carriers and I think you may have a winner.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
WP doesnt need a killer feature, though they already have it...the user interface and you could argue they also have the best cameras. WP needs to concentrate on converting android users that are annoyed with the platform because of its poor battery life and the fact that it usually only runs its best when on top end hardware. WP gets great battery life and is said to run well on older hardware, though I cant confirm the latter. They really need to start pushing their cameras.......

Yes, the games and apps may run slowly, but they may even run smoothly!

I've tried patched versions of GTA: San Andreas (I purchased the app before for L920!) and tried Subway Surfers on my L630, and works well!
This would be a good idea!

Things like that have minimum system requirements for a reason. Giving someone a crappy user experience is even worse than giving them none at all......

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
WP doesnt need a killer feature, though they already have it...the user interface and you could argue they also have the best cameras. WP needs to concentrate on converting android users that are annoyed with the platform because of its poor battery life and the fact that it usually only runs its best when on top end hardware. WP gets great battery life and is said to run well on older hardware, though I cant confirm the latter. They really need to start pushing their cameras.....

Camera is a selling point but it only gets so far if the software on it isn't up to snuff. As far as user interface while it is different what you see as a draw may be a deterrent to casual consumers. It's an entire new interface that is very different compared to the usual Android and iOS devices.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Camera is a selling point but it only gets so far if the software on it isn't up to snuff. As far as user interface while it is different what you see as a draw may be a deterrent to casual consumers. It's an entire new interface that is very different compared to the usual Android and iOS devices.

Did you see the thread by the professional photographer who did a photo shoot using his 1020? There weren't any issues with the camera software.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Can you envision a commercial where MS proclaims how awesome it is that all WP devices can run all WP apps, even 512 MB devices, and a large portion of the smartphone using population then running out and buying WP devices for that reason?

Most won't understand why that hasn't always worked and feel justified in buying an iOS or Android device.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Here's a crazy idea. What if window phone could use their cameras to work like Kinect. What if you could plug your phone into your computer or Xbox and it became a Kinect. I think that would be a cool feature.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site

That difference is the selling point though....how are you going to convince people to change if your OS looks just like everyone elses...Fact is WP is very easy to use and basically gives you all the info you need right on the front page, no other Os does that. Sure you can get android to a point where it will but you have to set it up that way and on top of that it will probably decimate your battery if you have all those widgets running. Plus once you get past the live tiles its really not all that much different....

I think it would be easy to show the benefit to even the casual user...in fact I think the UI should appeal even more to a casual user based on ease of use and the fact that it just works. A term a lot of iOS users like to throw around. The OS is there I think....the rest ,IE.. apps, and things like that need to catch up, but that take market share.

Did you see the thread by the professional photographer who did a photo shoot using his 1020? There weren't any issues with the camera software.

I dont think he was talking about the camera software but the OS as a whole, but I could be wrong.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's a crazy idea. What if window phone could use their cameras to work like Kinect. What if you could plug your phone into your computer or Xbox and it became a Kinect. I think that would be a cool feature.

Nice idea, but I don't think it's a killer idea yet. You need to go further! Think bigger! How about the device not replacing the Kinect, but replacing the entire console, and Cortana being the main interface to those features? Something like this:

Just pair your WP device with any WiDi, Airplay or DLNA enabled television to have it connect wirelessly. MS would also offer a very cheap optional stand/pad that connects to any television through HDMI. However, the best experience would be achieved by pairing your WP device with an MS Screen™.

Both stands (either the optional kit or the one integrated in the MS Screen™) would double as a wireless charging plate, capable of holding up to four WP devices.

Both stands would hold the smartphone so as to have either the front or back camera pointing outwards towards the players/viewers, so it could function as a Kinect.

Both stands would include an NFC tag, which would automatically launch each WP device either into Cortana controlled XMedia or XPhone mode (XBox's smaller brother).

If you've got an MS Screen™, then just placing your WP device into the integrated stand would automatically turn it on. The remote control for an MS Screen™ is sold separately, and would actually just be the cheapest WP device currently on the market. Currently that would be the Lumia 520 for $60.

The MS Screen would be fully controllable through remote gesturing or Cortana voice control, without having to own an Xbox. Cortana would learn what you like to watch, keep track of what you've already seen, set the channel to your favourite show, ask if she should record a show you might miss, or make suggestions for Xbox Video rentals if she can't find anything that matches your taste that you haven't already seen.

Cortana would even monitor what you are munching while watching television and optionally increment a calorie counter every time you insert pop corn, a potato chip, or a fork of cheese cake into your mouth. If you don't like that, Cortana could instead keep track of how much pop corn you and your friends have eaten and automatically put it on your shopping list if necessary.

If you instead opt to play a game, the system would support up to four simultaneous players, depending on how many WP devices are placed onto the stand. Each device would monitor its owners movements and voice commands, or could be temporarily paired to a different player.

Used in this fashion, a WP device would support graphically simplified versions of full blown Xbox games running at lower resolutions, but it would allow owners to play multiplayer games with Xbox owners, even without owning an Xbox. Either over a network or with friends in your living room.

If you've got a WP device and an Xbox, your WP device could connect to your Xbox and let the console render the graphics for your phone. That would give you console level graphics on a smartphone, without your smartphone having to waste just a bit of juice for it.

Anyway, I could go on and on. I'd also have a few hardware suggestions MS should implement to make this experience even better, but I won't get into that again here.

These are all just off the top of my head, and some are more serious suggestions than others, but whatever MS does, it needs to be something different. Something that doesn't yet exist at all. Just doing something better won't cut it.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
In my mind, the one killer WP feature would be a merged OS (Windows and Windows Phone). It's an idea that's not new and is expected in the future, but I think it might help WP take off.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
In my mind, the one killer WP feature would be a merged OS (Windows and Windows Phone). It's an idea that's not new and is expected in the future, but I think it might help WP take off.

I agree wholeheartedly. Hopefully Microsoft implements it well when they do finally merge. This is probably be what Windows Phone 9 will be all about. The convergence of Windows Phone and Windows.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I want Blackberry's actionable toast notifications. :p. Although, I'm not sure what id like better, actionable toast notifications or in the action center, like iOS... Both I guess.

Not shooting big, but I wanted that ability as soon as I saw it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Except that isn't really a feature at all. Not that I think it's a bad idea, but on its own, that is a purely technical statement about how OS' relate to each other. Almost no average consumer cares about that. IMHO you'd need to at least explain what benefits you expect from it.

IMHO a lot of people like that idea because it is vague enough for anyone to interpret it however they want, without having to actually get specific.

I do believe that is necessary, but I'm not sure it's sellable as a killer feature, primarily because I don't think you can get the average Joe excited about it. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What about face unlock or gesture unlock? The ability to modify your lockscreen without 3rd party apps?

How many people would really buy a WP just for that feature? Nice for those who already have a WP device, but I doubt you could even get a dozen people to switch to WP for such features. Needs to be bigger!

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Except that isn't really a feature at all. Not that I think it's a bad idea, but on its own, that is a purely technical statement about how OS' relate to each other. Almost no average consumer cares about that. IMHO you'd need to at least explain what benefits you expect from it.

IMHO a lot of people like that idea because it is vague enough for anyone to interpret it however they want, without having to actually get specific.

I do believe that is necessary, but I'm not sure it's sellable as a killer feature, primarily because I don't think you can get the average Joe excited about it. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see it.

I think to the average consumer, if you told them that the "smart" component of his or her phone would work exactly the same way as their Windows computer you would get a considerable amount of interest. I do agree that it's not really a true "feature" but since it would be the first mobile OS to be merged with a computer OS I'd consider it at least a "quasi-feature."

It's really as simple as the salesperson at the ATT store telling the customer "you have a PC? Take a look at this Windows Phone. It works the exact same way. You don't need to learn anything different."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven