The missing one killer WP feature!

Jeroenvk94

May 30, 2014
Visit site
How many people would really buy a WP just for that feature? Nice for those who already have a WP device, but I doubt you could even get a dozen people to switch to WP for such features. Needs to be bigger!

Like what? a fingerprint scanner like iOS and Android did? Or the new camera functions Android implemented with the latest firmwares ( Samsung in special! ).
I bought a WP knowing it's bare features, but I don't think I'll ever want to switch back because the main features ( cloud integration, camera, live tiles and now Cortana ) are just pretty amazing.
I think WP took a step in the right direction with the 8.1 update and I can't wait to see what'll come next! Perhaps they will introduce some stuff with the public 8.1 release

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Like what? a fingerprint scanner like iOS and Android did? Or the new camera functions Android implemented with the latest firmwares ( Samsung in special! ).
I bought a WP knowing it's bare features, but I don't think I'll ever want to switch back because the main features ( cloud integration, camera, live tiles and now Cortana ) are just pretty amazing.
I think WP took a step in the right direction with the 8.1 update and I can't wait to see what'll come next! Perhaps they will introduce some stuff with the public 8.1 release

Personally I think the scanner is a bit of a gimmick but the public eats that stuff up. WP needs something awesome like that.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
In my mind, the one killer WP feature would be a merged OS (Windows and Windows Phone). It's an idea that's not new and is expected in the future, but I think it might help WP take off.

Come home, dock your phone and off to desktop you go. Great idea, since HTC HD2 can run windows RT, I don't see why Lumias couldn't. If we wanted x86 though, we'd need different CPUs, and atoms eat way more power then Snapdragons. Intel quark maybe?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Better Xbox integration. Get some arcade games that can played on you Xbox and Windows Phone and all achievements. Then work on getting more 3d games that work on Xbox and Windows Phone. (I think Halo:Spartan Assault is the only one).

I also think that if you have Windows Phone you get Xbox Live Gold free. That would make me throw money. I hate paying $10 a month for it.

For the first part they are getting there with Universal Apps. But Windows Phone needs more universal games as well, as they have Xbox Integration which no other platform has and they should leverage it. Microsoft should also make sure that apps that are companion to games on Xbox 360/One should be out on Windows Phone the same day as Android and iOS. (For example, has UniSoft even confirmed a WatchDogs app for WP?). Companion apps to Xbox games should be a priority along with regular ones.

Window Phone already has a killer feature in Xbox, but it needs to be implemented better so it can market towards gamers who own Xbox consoles. Then this could be implemented in a Surface phone with the latest specs and on all 4 carriers and I think you may have a winner.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Xbox integration is something Microsoft could do you exclusively since I'm sure they have plenty of connections with game developers.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Xbox integration is something Microsoft could do you exclusively since I'm sure they have plenty of connections with game developers.

That's what I was thinking too. They really need to step up their Xbox Integration because it could really be a killer feature to market and people who play on Xbox would eat it up if they knew their phone can play some of the same games ad their Xbox and it can be a true Xbox companion through and through.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Nah. Not that those aren't good ideas, but they already exist. You can't get anyone to switch to WP for the sake of "me too" features. The excitement for those features has already passed. Adding those features now isn't about creating excitement, but about remaining competitive!

If it's not original. If it's not exciting. Then it won't get the masses interested in WP. You can't create a killer feature by polishing around the edges either. It must be big. It must be bold. It must be obvious and easy to grasp.

I think this thread just shows how difficult this sort of thing is.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
In my mind, the one killer WP feature would be a merged OS (Windows and Windows Phone). It's an idea that's not new and is expected in the future, but I think it might help WP take off.
I think they're getting there. Just like websites these days are designed with both phone and computers in mind, and change layout depending on the device but keep functionality the same, there's no reason that the next version of Windows won't do the same.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Except that isn't really a feature at all. Not that I think it's a bad idea, but on its own, that is a purely technical statement about how OS' relate to each other. Almost no average consumer cares about that. IMHO you'd need to at least explain what benefits you expect from it.

IMHO a lot of people like that idea because it is vague enough for anyone to interpret it however they want, without having to actually get specific.

I do believe that is necessary, but I'm not sure it's sellable as a killer feature, primarily because I don't think you can get the average Joe excited about it. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see it.
I think it's a killer feature because it will explode the app market, if done right, the only real obstacle so far too WP success.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's really as simple as the salesperson at the ATT store telling the customer "you have a PC? Take a look at this Windows Phone. It works the exact same way. You don't need to learn anything different."

Wait, do you want them to buy a WP, or run screaming? Most people still sit with their Windows 7 PCs and barely put up with them and have heard how horrible this new Windows 8 is. They certainly don't want to deal with that on their phones.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a killer feature because it will explode the app market, if done right, the only real obstacle so far too WP success.

Yeah, I really want to believe that.

I'm definitely with you on what is standing in the way of WP's success, although I'm sceptical you are approaching it from the right angle. On the other hand, I don't know what the right angle is either, so I admit my criticism sucks. Maybe I'm just becoming cynical.

I remember hearing how having metro run on the desktop would explode the metro app market and look where it is. It's even worse off than WP. At this point I'm not entirely convinced that combining an unsuccessful Metro runtime environment with a barely successful WP will lead to much at all. I'm more inclined to believe that nothing MS can do will alleviate the app situation, except more market share, which it will have to achieve despite the app gap.

Convince me otherwise?

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Wait, do you want them to buy a WP, or run screaming? Most people still sit with their Windows 7 PCs and barely put up with them and have heard how horrible this new Windows 8 is. They certainly don't want to deal with that on their phones.

Ha ha, good one! That is the status at the moment, at least if you listen to many of the clown tech writers. I think most people that have given Windows 8/8.1 a chance actually like it. The question is whether they will eventually move away from desktop mode and go all in with the Metro UI. Like any other iteration of Windows, adoption will be gradual and once people learn it they will crave continuity. That's not even factoring in any users that develop an affinity through the Surface or other Windows tablets. Having said that, the bar is not set very high to achieve dramatic success from a merged OS because even if half of the existing Windows 8.1 users consider switching to Windows Phone, the whole mobile landscape would be turned on its head.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I can just stare and wonder at my Windows Phone for this stupid feature that's missing.

Manual Wi-Fi settings to assign static IP.

At this stage, I don't even want to talk about it. It's pathetic. Those of you working in a corporate world will almost immediately understand what I mean.

Guess what? I've spent 100s of bucks on my mobile internet over the past 1.5 years in my office because of this missing feature. I am unable to connect to WiFi in office because my office has disabled DHCP and relies on static IP to set up WiFi for higher security. Every other ******* phone in the office supports this except my Windows Phone. This just sucks big time. I just hope, really really hope this at least comes with the Cyan update.

Also, the IT guy in the office points finger and just laughs at my phone. It's just plain embarrassing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb