The missing one killer WP feature!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Ha ha, good one! That is the status at the moment, at least if you listen to many of the clown tech writers. I think most people that have given Windows 8/8.1 a chance actually like it. The question is whether they will eventually move away from desktop mode and go all in with the Metro UI. Like any other iteration of Windows, adoption will be gradual and once people learn it they will crave continuity. That's not even factoring in any users that develop an affinity through the Surface or other Windows tablets. Having said that, the bar is not set very high to achieve dramatic success from a merged OS because even if half of the existing Windows 8.1 users consider switching to Windows Phone, the whole mobile landscape would be turned on its head.

While Windows 8.1 user base is large. It won't do much compared to 100s of millions of iOS and Android devices out there. While having the sake OS on your phone and computer is cool, I think they should do someone of the same integration like iOS has and also focus on their Bing and Xbox Services. That's their most stand out features is that they have all Xbox services on WP.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I FIGURED IT OUT!!! what if you could mirror you're Xbox game onto your phone. Kinda like the Wii u controller. This would allow you to play Xbox games away from the tv on your own Wi-Fi network.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I can just stare and wonder at my Windows Phone for this stupid feature that's missing.

Manual Wi-Fi settings to assign static IP.

At this stage, I don't even want to talk about it. It's pathetic. Those of you working in a corporate world will almost immediately understand what I mean.

Guess what? I've spent 100s of bucks on my mobile internet over the past 1.5 years in my office because of this missing feature. I am unable to connect to WiFi in office because my office has disabled DHCP and relies on static IP to set up WiFi for higher security. Every other ******* phone in the office supports this except my Windows Phone. This just sucks big time. I just hope, really really hope this at least comes with the Cyan update.

Also, the IT guy in the office points finger and just laughs at my phone. It's just plain embarrassing.

Wait, so this IT guy doesn't know that DHCP can be set up to assign IP addresses ONLY to approved devices, thus helping you out while not making it less secure? And they use secure WiFi obviously anyway. Maybe he should stop being a jerk and do his job.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Wait, so this IT guy doesn't know that DHCP can be set up to assign IP addresses ONLY to approved devices, thus helping you out while not making it less secure? And they use secure WiFi obviously anyway. Maybe he should stop being a jerk and do his job.

Exactly. MAC address filtering is often used as an additional security layer for Wifi networks. It will prevent unknown devices from connecting to an access point, but it does not preclude the use of DHCP.

Static IP assignment does not provide any additional security over DHCP reservations. It only changes whether the configuration is done on each client or in a centralized manner via the wireless infrastructure. From an IT perspective, the centralized DHCP reservation approach would be preferable to managing settings on each and every device. Just keeping track of which IP addresses have been given out to devices and if those devices are still active would be a headache without DHCP. I'm guessing he tracks that with a spreadsheet or something. I sounds like your IT guy needs to start working smarter not harder.

I get the impression that you work for a smaller company with limited IT staff. In a larger company, or a company with talented IT staff, a guy like that would probably not be successful. He would be shunned by other IT team members for creating more problems than he solves.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. MAC address filtering is often used as an additional security layer for Wifi networks. It will prevent unknown devices from connecting to an access point, but it does not preclude the use of DHCP.

Static IP assignment does not provide any additional security over DHCP reservations. It only changes whether the configuration is done on each client or in a centralized manner via the wireless infrastructure. From an IT perspective, the centralized DHCP reservation approach would be preferable to managing settings on each and every device. Just keeping track of which IP addresses have been given out to devices and if those devices are still active would be a headache without DHCP. I'm guessing he tracks that with a spreadsheet or something. I sounds like your IT guy needs to start working smarter not harder.

I get the impression that you work for a smaller company with limited IT staff. In a larger company, or a company with talented IT staff, a guy like that would probably not be successful. He would be shunned by other IT team members for creating more problems than he solves.

Wow, you were very accurate there. I do work for a small company. And as you said, he also maintains an excel spreadsheet to maintain the assigned IPs so as to not get confused.

Now, if he needs to use that MAC address filter thing you just mentioned (I'm sorry, I don't have much knowledge on networks and by the looks of it my IT guy doesn't either) will it affect other users? Does he have to reconfigure his router settings? He says there is no way to configure without assigning static IP at all. If there's a way my phone can be an exception, I will try to look up a tutorial online and tell him how to do it.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Wow, you were very accurate there. I do work for a small company. And as you said, he also maintains an excel spreadsheet to maintain the assigned IPs so as to not get confused.

Now, if he needs to use that MAC address filter thing you just mentioned (I'm sorry, I don't have much knowledge on networks and by the looks of it my IT guy doesn't either) will it affect other users? Does he have to reconfigure his router settings? He says there is no way to configure without assigning static IP at all. If there's a way my phone can be an exception, I will try to look up a tutorial online and tell him how to do it.

I sent you a PM. I didn't want to go off topic in this thread.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There was another thread on here about how to make WP killer with features. In that thread I pointed out that WP's main issue today is still what it was 1 1/2 years ago when I first took up WP, which missing apps. When I say missing apps I refer to the 'official' apps and I make a point of saying that it's about image. If you're always relying on 3rd party to fill gaps you look 3rd rate, regardless of how good those apps are.

Regarding features I got thinking. We constantly rely on the OS provider to bring about features and then when a particular feature doesn't come out you have people complaining it's not what they want or exactly what they want. It's always seems to lack. So why not allow developers to create features? Open the system up so that it's possible to do so within a contained environment.

To give an example of what I mean, I'll use an app that's already in existence. The Transparent Tiles app. Though this app isn't really a 'feature' as such it does something that people want and it sits quietly doing it's job in the background like it were part of the OS.

So maybe the 'one' killer feature MS bring out would be the ability for developers to create features for WP that act like part of the OS. That way we get the features people want and developers to try out the OS.

Well, that's my two cents anyway. I don't think we should keep relying on MS to do everything as they don't seem capable of doing it. Windows OS relies heavily on other developers to bring out a good experience. So WP should be similar.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
There was another thread on here about how to make WP killer with features. In that thread I pointed out that WP's main issue today is still what it was 1 1/2 years ago when I first took up WP, which missing apps. When I say missing apps I refer to the 'official' apps and I make a point of saying that it's about image. If you're always relying on 3rd party to fill gaps you look 3rd rate, regardless of how good those apps are.

Regarding features I got thinking. We constantly rely on the OS provider to bring about features and then when a particular feature doesn't come out you have people complaining it's not what they want or exactly what they want. It's always seems to lack. So why not allow developers to create features? Open the system up so that it's possible to do so within a contained environment.

To give an example of what I mean, I'll use an app that's already in existence. The Transparent Tiles app. Though this app isn't really a 'feature' as such it does something that people want and it sits quietly doing it's job in the background like it were part of the OS.

So maybe the 'one' killer feature MS bring out would be the ability for developers to create features for WP that act like part of the OS. That way we get the features people want and developers to try out the OS.

Well, that's my two cents anyway. I don't think we should keep relying on MS to do everything as they don't seem capable of doing it. Windows OS relies heavily on other developers to bring out a good experience. So WP should be similar.

I said this before as well. Official apps will always be better than 3rd party.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
more apps, better apps, a bigger set of apps, apps that are equally great as ios and android... APPS AND APS!

We all agree with that sentiment, I'm not sure that is enough though. Even if we had every app iOS has, same quality, and we got updates at the exact same time, would that really be enough to get people to switch? I'm sure it would get some to switch, but would it get WP to 10% and beyond in the U.S. I'm doubtful. That just removes the deterrent to switching. It doesn't give many a reason to switch.

Give us better apps, that are updated earlier, then yes. If the best WP manages to do is fight its way to a draw, then it looses.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
We all agree with that sentiment, I'm not sure that is enough though. Even if we had every app iOS has, same quality, and we got updates at the exact same time, would that really be enough to get people to switch? I'm sure it would get some to switch, but would it get WP to 10% and beyond in the U.S. I'm doubtful. That just removes the deterrent to switching. It doesn't give many a reason to switch.

Give us better apps, that are updated earlier, then yes. If the best WP manages to do is fight its way to a draw, then it looses.

I say get all the apps in quality and focus on Xbox Services especially Xbox Live games. That would make me switch at least.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I say get all the apps in quality and focus on Xbox Services especially Xbox Live games. That would make me switch at least.

Yeah, I know, but you aren't the typical smartphone user. You or anyone else on these forums probably isn't shy about trying another OS, whereas the 'normal' consumer is most comfortable with what they already know. The only way to get them to switch is to give them a clear and obvious reason to do so. For most, having apps that are as good as what they already have, isn't a compelling reason.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Better XBL integration and games.

You can hear me disprove that the Wii U or the Vita have no games, but XBL on WP? All you see is a shrug and you get to hear some crickets, too.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Better XBL integration and games.

You can hear me disprove that the Wii U or the Vita have no games, but XBL on WP? All you see is a shrug and you get to hear some crickets, too.

That's it needs to be better and needs to be marketed towards Xbox gamers. Tel Xbox gamers their phone can be extension of their Xbox and have all the latest apps and games and I bet they can sell a few million. The most frustrating part is Microsoft does now seem to know how to market standout features.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site

Maybe you're on top something here. I think the one cool feature will be hardware though. But who knows, I could be wrong.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I said this before as well. Official apps will always be better than 3rd party.

I don't agree with that fully. I like the third party windows phone YouTube apps. I could never download the videos on YouTube with IOS. Same for soundcloud.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't agree with that fully. I like the third party windows phone YouTube apps. I could never download the videos on YouTube with IOS. Same for soundcloud.

Well videos usually aren't supposed to be downloaded on account of copyright and all that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb