The missing one killer WP feature!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you're on top something here. I think the one cool feature will be hardware though. But who knows, I could be wrong.

I don't think hardware means much to the average user and that's what needs to be cleared up here. Everyone goes on about specialized thinking and their needs but the average user just wants a phone that works and has the apps that everyone else has. Then you need a reason for them to switch. That comes down to providing a unique user experience.

It's all about user experience but how do you market that in such a saturated market? That's what MS needs to sort out. WP is unique but it seems to attract a certain type of user at the moment and I believe that to be mostly based on app selection and phone selection. Both are short falls for MS currently.

Last edited:

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't think hardware means much to the average user and that's what needs to be cleared up here. Everyone goes on about specialized thinking and their needs but the average user just wants a phone that works and has the apps that everyone else has. Then you need a reason for them to switch. That comes down to providing a unique user experience.

It's all about user experience but how do you market that in such a saturated market? That's what MS needs to sort out. WP is unique but it seems to attract a certain type of user at the moment and I believe that to be mostly based on app selection and phone selection. Both are short falls for MS currently.

When I say hardware I don't mean updated specs. I mean a feature or design that makes it appeal.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
WP doesnt need a killer feature, though they already have it...the user interface and you could argue they also have the best cameras. WP needs to concentrate on converting android users that are annoyed with the platform because of its poor battery life and the fact that it usually only runs its best when on top end hardware. WP gets great battery life and is said to run well on older hardware, though I cant confirm the latter. They really need to start pushing their cameras.......

Things like that have minimum system requirements for a reason. Giving someone a crappy user experience is even worse than giving them none at all......

In my opinion, it's going to be a lot easier to switch Android users to WP then iOS users. There's more similarity with Android and WP, plus iOS users are in their own world. Apple could have twigs with their logos on them, and Apple users would line up for weeks to buy em. The iPhone 6t

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, it's going to be a lot easier to switch Android users to WP then iOS users. There's more similarity with Android and WP, plus iOS users are in their own world. Apple could have twigs with their logos on them, and Apple users would line up for weeks to buy em. The iPhone 6t

Introducing the iTwig! Now you can swat your enemies while not doing much else! Who would want to do more? We made the iTwig lighter than any other twig out there, so swatting your enemies can be faster! The iTwig is priced reasonably well at $399 for three basic version, $599 for the larger version. Go swat your enemies today!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, it's going to be a lot easier to switch Android users to WP then iOS users. There's more similarity with Android and WP, plus iOS users are in their own world.

I don't agree. Android & iOS are more similar with each other than with WP. The UI is somewhat the same, and there's a lot of parity in apps, in both selection and quality (at least closer than to WP).

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Introducing the iTwig! Now you can swat your enemies while not doing much else! Who would want to do more? We made the iTwig lighter than any other twig out there, so swatting your enemies can be faster! The iTwig is priced reasonably well at $399 for three basic version, $599 for the larger version. Go swat your enemies today!

Pretty sure Apple users are now wondering when the iTwig is coming out.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I think you guys missed the point of my op. I'm not asking how can windows phone improve itself. I'm asking what's the one killer feature windows phone needs to grab attention, to lure users away from their iPhone or android phones. IPhone did it years ago with Siri and Samsung did it afterwards by overloading the OS throwing every feature and the kitchen sink (lol) into the phone. What can WP do to get the same results? Yes making the OS another and better will make the OS better to use but what's going to win people over to windows phone really?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys missed the point of my op. I'm not asking how can windows phone improve itself. I'm asking what's the one killer feature windows phone needs to grab attention, to lure users away from their iPhone or android phones. IPhone did it years ago with Siri and Samsung did it afterwards by overloading the OS throwing every feature and the kitchen sink (lol) into the phone. What can WP do to get the same results? Yes making the OS another and better will make the OS better to use but what's going to win people over to windows phone really?

Cortana might be that feature, depending on how it's implemented.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Looks like Microsoft figured it out. You guys read the article about the rumor of Microsoft working on something called 3d touch? Maybe the next big game can't feature is coming.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Cortana might be that feature, depending on how it's implemented.

Possibly, but it's got stiff competition in Google Now. And Google Now keeps improving. I don't see it falling behind Cortana anytime soon, at least not far enough to make Cortana a "killer" feature.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I think Cortana is way more complex and better set up then Siri but drops the ball on basic stuff like searching through music or not having her own separate volume level.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
How about combining the data from monitoring heart rate (vein pulses in the neck), eye tracking, voice pitch, breathing and a fingerprint sensor that also measures skin conductivity into a WP based lie detector?

I bet that would make for a very popular toy during recess at school.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
How about combining the data from monitoring heart rate (vein pulses in the neck), eye tracking, voice pitch, breathing and a fingerprint sensor that also measures skin conductivity into a WP based lie detector?

I bet that would make for a very popular toy during recess at school.

Not to mention in class when the test answer key goes missing. . . .

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Whatever it is it has to be something people don't know they want until they see it. Something that's unique. Something that's never been done before or never been implemented the way Microsoft could do it. Henry Ford once said, if I'd asked the people what they wanted they would've said faster horses. That's the type of thinking Microsoft needs.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Whatever it is it has to be something people don't know they want until they see it. Something that's unique. Something that's never been done before or never been implemented the way Microsoft could do it. Henry Ford once said, if I'd asked the people what they wanted they would've said faster horses. That's the type of thinking Microsoft needs.

Yup. I think "faster horses" is a pretty good summary of this thread too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos