The missing one killer WP feature!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I think you guys missed the point of my op. I'm not asking how can windows phone improve itself. I'm asking what's the one killer feature windows phone needs to grab attention, to lure users away from their iPhone or android phones. IPhone did it years ago with Siri and Samsung did it afterwards by overloading the OS throwing every feature and the kitchen sink (lol) into the phone. What can WP do to get the same results? Yes making the OS another and better will make the OS better to use but what's going to win people over to windows phone really?

I don't think there is such a thing. why? because people use their phone for different things, and one awesome feature won't apply to everyone.

Even with a 41mp camera folks still but iPhone and snap away.

wireless charging, no big deal, they just plug in their droid and keep on trucking.

neither android note iPhone have one killer feature that attracts tons of people, it's the entire package that convinces them to choose on our the other.

so it's hard to say. if I had my druthers, I'd call a week long battery a pretty nice feature

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Then you'd need an FCC license etc, I wouldn't want to accidently Bridget my phone calls. :)

Nokia Symbian phones had this feature built in. It wasn't always easy to use due to all the FM stations being taken up so finding a blank was not simple. I prefer Bluetooth myself and buying a Nokia BH-121 and plugging it into my Aux port is a lot better and less issues.

I know not every radio has an Aux port but FM transmitter is not going to happen folks.

I have to agree with 'ohgood' regarding 'one' killer feature. There is no such thing.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Symbian phones had this feature built in. It wasn't always easy to use due to all the FM stations being taken up so finding a blank was not simple. I prefer Bluetooth myself and buying a Nokia BH-121 and plugging it into my Aux port is a lot better and less issues.

I know not every radio has an Aux port but FM transmitter is not going to happen folks.

I have to agree with 'ohgood' regarding 'one' killer feature. There is no such thing.
I think one killer feature does work. Apple did it a few times. They essentially offered the same phone over and over by giving it a cool factor feature. Making it gold. Adding a fingerprint scanner. These are clearly gimmick features.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Having the phone come with Bluetooth instead of wired ones would be a cool gimmick but they'd have to be extremely stylish. And they'd have to look like they sound better than they actually did sound.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Only if you define a killer feature as something that would be very desirable to every person in the world, which probably makes little sense.

For the original iPhone, the killer feature was being the first mobile phone with a decent internet browser. After that came the app store, which gave people a controlled and safe way to browse and install software. The app store was so simple, that even the most technically challenged person could now find and confidently install/remove software. These features were at least somewhat original (no mass adoption up to that point), useful, and very desirable for many people. Not everybody wanted it. Not even everybody wanted a smartphone, but I definitely would consider those killer features, or more precisely, they were killer features when they were initially released.

There is certainly no 'one' feature that can convert everyone in the world to WP. But IMHO anything that can get 15% of the U.S. population to just consider WP deserves to be called a killer feature.

aboutdas

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
My idea is different in some ways.
I've loved WP, i've owned an LG Optimus 7 since december 2010 and i really appreciated the idea of a user interface with pure design and intelligents hubs.
Now, with WP8.1, HUS are gone and i can only use apps. Apps, apps, apps.
I've seen some WP Start Screen and just a few were used as it should be: lots of tiny icons and absence of people and live Tiles.

That's a wrong approach. The Start Screen itself needs a redesign for "the smartphone built around you", much more focused on the phone owner.
We need an evolution of the notification center and the interface of WP with focus on usability.
I miss the utility of the "me" tile and i think more social networks should integrate with contacts.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Only if you define a killer feature as something that would be very desirable to every person in the world, which probably makes little sense.

For the original iPhone, the killer feature was being the first mobile phone with a decent internet browser. After that came the app store, which gave people a controlled and safe way to browse and install software. The app store was so simple, that even the most technically challenged person could now find and confidently install/remove software. These features were at least somewhat original (no mass adoption up to that point), useful, and very desirable for many people. Not everybody wanted it. Not even everybody wanted a smartphone, but I definitely would consider those killer features, or more precisely, they were killer features when they were initially released.

There is certainly no 'one' feature that can convert everyone in the world to WP. But IMHO anything that can get 15% of the U.S. population to just consider WP deserves to be called a killer feature.

I thought the killer feature in the beginning of the iPhone was its actually having a usable, finger friendly interface?

I remember one guy at lunch punching away at his wm6.5 device with a stylus at tiny boxes and missing most of the time.... then the new iPhone guy was just doing everything, easily, with one finger at arms length.

microSkop

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Holographic 3D projection. If done right in combination with Cortana it could be a game changer. Amazon might be the first to try that though. And I'm not sure the technology is there yet...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought the killer feature in the beginning of the iPhone was its actually having a usable, finger friendly interface?

I remember one guy at lunch punching away at his wm6.5 device with a stylus at tiny boxes and missing most of the time.... then the new iPhone guy was just doing everything, easily, with one finger at arms length.

Ha, I used WM for a couple years. I remember recalibrating the screen every once in a while. The touch would become way off. When I got my first Android I was amazed that calibration wasn't necessary.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

All of this is true, and I agree (especially regarding Safari - and especially in the US, where Nokia's and SonyEricson's models were not widely available), but we also have to remember the extreme hype that was before the iPhone was released. The iPod was hot stuff back then, and the media worked itself into a frenzy covering this new exciting phone (rumored to be called the iPhone). There was mainstream media coverage of it like few tech things before it. This helped it right out of the gate. I think the real killer feature of the iPhone was that it was the iPhone... at least at first. And that headstart helped it get where it is now.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Killer feature? 1000 euros. Cash, unmarked notes, included in the box.

Alternatively, just give the phones away. What's the cost to make Lumia 630? 50 euros? Give away 20 million of them over 12 months - that's about as many units as the Lumia 520 sold last year. Of course, when the free phones are gone, you sell the phone too at normal prices. It would increase Microsoft's unit market share by about 50% at a cost of one billion euros. That's probably not bad value and would make the platform much more attractive to developers.

WP fans who would have bought the phone anyway are far too sane to be the ones queuing overnight for the free handout - so I'm going to claim the market share increase is broadly accurate.

Last edited:

jailman

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft should keep attacking low end markets with cheaper/better alternatives to laggy exoensive Android and offer same apps and experience

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb