The missing one killer WP feature!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I thought the killer feature in the beginning of the iPhone was its actually having a usable, finger friendly interface?

Nope. Just being able to touch the screen with your finger instead of using a stylus doesn't make the device any more useful. That doesn't allow you to do anything more than before. Had the iPhone been released with the same crappy browser that other devices had at the time, the iPhone wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is now. Touch was important, as was Apple's knack for making things simple, as were a hundred other things that contributed to an all-round simple and reliable experience, but the killer features were the browser and the app store.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
He's talking about an FM transmitter, not an FM receiver. A transmitter would send music to a radio on an FM frequency. I used to use one several years ago with my iPod. It was good for the time, but with BT being around and vastly superior I can't see a lot of people wanting this built into a phone anymore. Certainly not being a killer feature.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Just being able to touch the screen with your finger instead of using a stylus doesn't make the device any more useful. That doesn't allow you to do anything more than before. Had the iPhone been released with the same crappy browser that other devices had at the time, the iPhone wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is now. Touch was important, as was Apple's knack for making things simple, as were a hundred other things that contributed to an all-round simple and reliable experience, but the killer features were the browser and the app store.

OK, now
try using that same browser with 10 pixel sized input points, and that stylus, instead of just jabbing it with a finger.

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Would be nice to be able to hide apps that are utilities that I do not have to load, this way I do not see them in my app list every time.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Would be nice to be able to hide apps that are utilities that I do not have to load, this way I do not see them in my app list every time.

That's not a "killer app", of course (by the way, what they should have is the ability to sort them based on frequency of use, like in W8. Maybe that will come later.)

adkrish22290

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
There is no provision for setting up a static IP for a WiFi connection. This is really irritating as all other mobile OSs provide this feature. I fail to understand why Microsoft refuses to include such a simple feature in an otherwise great Windows Phone OS.

Shared1155

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
From the beginning I haven't found a Windows Phone that was really "Windows Phone". My Nokia 1020 is heavy and thick, and so are all Nokia. Samsung is cheap plastic. I think Windows Phone needs a REAL "Modern" hardware such as this (oh god I love this concept). Then Windows Phone can become more like actually cool phones than just a platform in people minds.

Last edited:

fe1fe1

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
From the beginning I haven't found a Windows Phone that was really "Windows Phone". My Nokia 1020 is heavy and thick, and so are all Nokia. HTC and Samsung are cheap plastic. I think Windows Phone needs a REAL "Modern" hardware such as this (oh god I love this concept). Then Windows Phone can become more like actually cool phones than just a platform in people minds.

HTC and cheap plastic? Seriously?

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
its apps man just apps and app support thats all we need

I agree, Microsoft needs to have some kind of incentives in place for developers of popular iOS and Android apps to produce quality WP 8 apps. Every person I work with that asked to see my phone likes it, thinks " that's different " then comes the questions about apps, kills it every time, without exception.

raptr569

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
For me it has to be the integration with Windows on a PC. What Apple is doing with Yosemite is exactly what Microsoft need to do but I would push it further.

I think the project my screen app is something that could lead to killer integration. Part of this would be able to directly control your phone using mouse and keyboard controls like the project my screen app but then in addition to that a UI (as part of an application) that allows you to manipulate everything on your phone from settings and store downloads and then the more obvious things like answer calls and replying to messages.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
For me it has to be the integration with Windows on a PC. What Apple is doing with Yosemite is exactly what Microsoft need to do but I would push it further.

I think the project my screen app is something that could lead to killer integration. Part of this would be able to directly control your phone using mouse and keyboard controls like the project my screen app but then in addition to that a UI (as part of an application) that allows you to manipulate everything on your phone from settings and store downloads and then the more obvious things like answer calls and replying to messages.

Yep. This is what I've been thinking too. When you sit down at your PC and log in using the same ID you use for your phone, you shouldn't have to take your phone out of your pocket to operate it - it should be a window in Windows. SMS, phone calls, etc, everything. Sort of like Remote Desktop INTO the phone instead of out of it.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yep. This is what I've been thinking too. When you sit down at your PC and log in using the same ID you use for your phone, you shouldn't have to take your phone out of your pocket to operate it - it should be a window in Windows. SMS, phone calls, etc, everything. Sort of like Remote Desktop INTO the phone instead of out of it.

That would be super cool.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Also the Lumia line is truthfully too confusing with numbers. A cool feature would be to build the phone similar to the surface. Make it look industrial, slick, and professional. And keep the name simple. The surface phone 1,2 etc...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Sharpen the edges so you can slash at someo . . . I've misunderstood 'killer feature' haven't I ;)

Not necessarily. That might actually be a popular selling point, not to mention it would instantly become the standard issue device for her majesty's secret service :-/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6