The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    First and foremost, I'm not here to advertise a brand but rather to explain how one is more profitable for users.

My first ever Windows Phone experience was with my brother in law who has a Samsung Ativ and from what I can see, it is pretty limited. But that's what got me hooked on WP.

When I decided to go get one, I was going to get a Nokia 520. But I went with the HTC 8s because of the body which I preferred as HTC makes really attractive phones. But I did not know that there were so much more available with Nokia.

HTC barely even update their own apps! I'm currently using WP8.1 and the HTC Hub live tile does't work with it. Yet they still haven't updated it. Nokia on the other hand has and quite quickly after 8.1 was released.

Then comes software. HTC offers very little proprietary software and most of them are absolutely useless (the Storage app is only there to tell you you're out of storage... the HTC Hub is pretty limited, the Connection Wizard is useless, etc.).

Then you have Nokia that has great software starting with Nokia Radio which, for people on the 8.1 preview, can replace XBox Music quite well (from what I can read here). But you also have a tonload of other software which you can't install on an HTC or Samsung. Also, Nokia offers a software to restore ROMs (like is you installed 8.1 and want to go back, you can).

The truth of the matter is that Nokia dove into Windows Phone, which kind of explains why now it's Microsoft.

So if you're looking for a Windows Phone, get a Nokia. You'll enjoy it way more.

Edit: I want to add that this message is the kind of thing I would have like to know when I got my phone. :)
    Last edited by dlalonde; 06-01-2014 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Modified Nokia Music to Nokia Radio.
    06-01-2014 08:02 AM
    Agreed
    06-01-2014 08:15 AM
    I love Nokia, but deep down in my heart I want to see more from other OEMs
    even if they do 20% of what Nokia have done, all other non-Nokia Windows Phones experience will be way better than they are today

but then again, money talks...
    money always talks...
    and most money (sadly) runs in neighbor's field (read: Android)
    aximtreo and despertador like this.
    06-01-2014 08:16 AM
    I just can't help but to wonder if Microsoft will scale back on the number of phones the former Nokia Devices & Services division will publish in order to favour other OEMs on the market and increase WP competition.

During the Surface Pro 3 unveiling, Satya basically said that Microsoft had no intention of competing with other hardware manufacturers. Perhaps buying out Nokia was a way for Microsoft to remove the status quo of the Nokia dominance among Windows Phone manufacturers.
    06-01-2014 08:29 AM
    I just can't help but to wonder if Microsoft will scale back on the number of phones the former Nokia Devices & Services division will publish in order to favour other OEMs on the market and increase WP competition.

During the Surface Pro 3 unveiling, Satya basically said that Microsoft had no intention of competing with other hardware manufacturers. Perhaps buying out Nokia was a way for Microsoft to remove the status quo of the Nokia dominance among Windows Phone manufacturers.
    That's actually the opposite of what I would have tought. I thought that buying Nokia would harm the other OEMs. I thought Microsoft would try to monopolize the market with their own brand.

I love Nokia, but deep down in my heart I want to see more from other OEMs
    even if they do 20% of what Nokia have done, all other non-Nokia Windows Phones experience will be way better than they are today

but then again, money talks...
    money always talks...
    and most money (sadly) runs in neighbor's field (read: Android)
    That would be great but if other OEMs hop in the WP train they have to commit to it. Not just release phones, with OEM software without doing anything else after.
    06-01-2014 09:04 AM
    That's actually the opposite of what I would have tought. I thought that buying Nokia would harm the other OEMs. I thought Microsoft would try to monopolize the market with their own brand.
    Well, I don't have any insider information. All I can do is speculate on what little Satya Nadella said publicly. I was a bit disturbed by his statement not to have any intention to compete with other hardware manufacturers though. I too assumed Microsoft would continue the Lumia legacy, but with the full power and integration of Microsoft behind the Windows Phone ecosystem.

I suppose time will tell if Nokia/Lumia is still the go-to Windows Phone manufacturer for people looking for quality and innovation this autumn. Microsoft certainly don't seem scared of competing with other hardware manufacturers with their Surface line-up.
    dlalonde likes this.
    06-01-2014 11:47 AM
    First and foremost, I'm not here to advertise a brand but rather to explain how one is more profitable for users.

My first ever Windows Phone experience was with my brother in law who has a Samsung Ativ and from what I can see, it is pretty limited. But that's what got me hooked on WP.

When I decided to go get one, I was going to get a Nokia 520. But I went with the HTC 8s because of the body which I preferred as HTC makes really attractive phones. But I did not know that there were so much more available with Nokia.

HTC barely even update their own apps! I'm currently using WP8.1 and the HTC Hub live tile does't work with it. Yet they still haven't updated it. Nokia on the other hand has and quite quickly after 8.1 was released.

Then comes software. HTC offers very little proprietary software and most of them are absolutely useless (the Storage app is only there to tell you you're out of storage... the HTC Hub is pretty limited, the Connection Wizard is useless, etc.).

Then you have Nokia that has great software starting with Nokia Radio which, for people on the 8.1 preview, can replace XBox Music quite well (from what I can read here). But you also have a tonload of other software which you can't install on an HTC or Samsung. Also, Nokia offers a software to restore ROMs (like is you installed 8.1 and want to go back, you can).

The truth of the matter is that Nokia dove into Windows Phone, which kind of explains why now it's Microsoft.

So if you're looking for a Windows Phone, get a Nokia. You'll enjoy it way more.

Edit: I want to add that this message is the kind of thing I would have like to know when I got my phone. :)
    Im just curious because I'm new to this..but cant you go to the marketplace and download the nokia apps?
    06-02-2014 07:29 AM
    Im just curious because I'm new to this..but cant you go to the marketplace and download the nokia apps?
    Very few of them. HERE Drive, HERE Transit, HERE Maps... that's pretty much it. The rest is unavailable through the store. There was a hack at some point but it was patched.
    06-02-2014 09:27 AM
    You know, there's a perfectly logical reason behind this.

Over the last twelve months, the only Windows Phones released were by Nokia/Microsoft. (Discounting carrier exclusives, of course.)
    Beijendorf and dlalonde like this.
    06-02-2014 09:46 AM
    My point exactly! If you want to have the best experience, go with Nokia... at least that's what I seem to understand as a non-Nokia user.
    06-02-2014 10:29 AM
    have you ever tried to look up Samsung or HTC's apps in your phone?
    that's similiar to what we'll see when another OEM's WP try to look up Nokia's apps in their phone
    06-02-2014 06:43 PM
    You know, there's a perfectly logical reason behind this.

Over the last twelve months, the only Windows Phones released were by Nokia/Microsoft. (Discounting carrier exclusives, of course.)
    was Samsung ATIV SE released 12 months ago?
    or is it a "carrier exclusive"? (I'm not from the US so I don't know much about this carrier stuff)
    06-02-2014 06:44 PM
    was Samsung ATIV SE released 12 months ago?
    or is it a "carrier exclusive"? (I'm not from the US so I don't know much about this carrier stuff)
    It was exclusive to Verizon Wireless.
    06-02-2014 07:59 PM