Anyone watch the WWDC yesterday? I did. Most of the things are mostly glossed up stuff that Apple is good at doing. But the real kicker for me that kind of ticked me off towards Microsoft is when they demoed the messaging and call seemless integration with iOS and Yosemite. This was what Skype should have been for Microsoft. I still don't get what is taking so long for them to get to that stage. I know they are updating slowly but pick up the speed.

On a side note: Another obvious one is the Family Share feature. Yes we have Family room which is fantastic, but Apple added family share on iTunes which is a notch above what MS is offering right now. I think this is something MS should try to implement.
    06-03-2014 11:43 AM
    Not to start and Apple vs WP vs Google thread, but Microsoft isn't competing with Apple. The difference between Apple and Microsoft is that if you want an iOS device, you have to get an iPhone. If you don't have much money or don't care to have a premium device, you get an old phone. The 5C was a flop because no one really wants a cheap iPhone.

But Microsoft (and Nokia) said "If you want a Windows Phone, you can have one." It doesn't matter your budget. If you really want a premium device, you're not paying for a device that Apple said is premium so that makes it premium. No, you're paying for a 41MP or 20MP camera and oversampling software. You're paying for a few extras that generally have to cost more, but you get the same experience no matter what.

So when it comes to families looking to share stuff, Microsoft is in a good position for a family where someone loves having the best device (high end lumia), someone doesn't care what device they have (low or mid) and someone who wants a cheap device (low end).

They're all going to get the same experience and it's absolutely great.

Android wants to compete by offering similar options, but has been a lot more scattered between the many OEMs and high-end requirements of Android. It turns out that Mom's cheaper Android runs totally difference homescreen software from 2 years ago and is painfully slow while your high end device runs the latest and greatest amazingly fast. This causes problems and makes things confusing for Mom.

Personally, I think Microsoft is in a great position right now to succeed. They just need to act fast and refine their product line. I think they're doing it with these latest updates. I'm still looking forward, but I don't think that forward is too far away.

(all my personal opinions in here)
    Guytronic likes this.
    06-03-2014 12:06 PM
    "I think Microsoft is in a great position right now to succeed. They just need to act fast and refine their product line. I think they're doing it with these latest updates."

Yes they are. Just not fast enough.
    06-03-2014 02:26 PM
    The iPhone 5C cheap?

The iPhone 5c sure is cheaper... but for Apple, the manufacturing cost of the original iPhone 5 was expensive for them so they made the 5c all plastic to reduce cost, but the retail price is still high if you compare it with other phones in the market.

And about MS, is true about the updates, seems they are reacting at last... but in the hardware offering is still lacking and now is very quiet, no hardware announcement at the moment and the L930 - L630 are not enough to keep users attention.
    Last edited by Pacus1x; 06-03-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    06-03-2014 05:57 PM
    And about MS, is true about the updates, seems they are reacting at last... but in the hardware offering is still lacking and now is very quiet, no hardware announcement at the moment and the L930 - L630 are not enough to keep users attention.
    True statement.. Hard announcement is severely lacking. It seems like there is couple android device announced every month. Although Microsoft starts these novel ideas like digital watches, mobile phones, ereaders.. They are always playing catchup. The pace is too slow. Windows threshold should have been before IOS 8/Yosemite.
    06-03-2014 07:51 PM
    True statement.. Hard announcement is severely lacking. It seems like there is couple android device announced every month. Although Microsoft starts these novel ideas like digital watches, mobile phones, ereaders.. They are always playing catchup. The pace is too slow. Windows threshold should have been before IOS 8/Yosemite.
    Definitely agree. The 930 was simply disappointing to hear about. I think (hope) that may be attributed to the Nokia acquisition. I have a feeling we will see some branding changes on the next, true high-end device. I'm hoping to see some form of amazing camera-centric device that really establishes Microsoft's flagship brand. We will see though.

The iPhone 5C cheap?

The iPhone 5c sure is cheaper... but for Apple, the manufacturing cost of the original iPhone 5 was expensive for them so they made the 5c all plastic to reduce cost, but the retail price is still high if you compare it with other phones in the market.
    I definitely agree with you here. And I'm sure this contributed to the 5Cs failure. As a customer, why would I pay more for a cheaper looking and feeling phone? I'm not quite sure how true this is, but I don't think many people buy the iPhone because they like iOS. It seems most iPhone purchases are because "I want an iPhone." Whoever said "I want a cheaper iPhone."? With a cheaper one, they miss the "status symbol" aspect of owning an iPhone. I just never saw WP as going after that crowd. Android competes with that crowd only because that's the only competition they have. If they took over Apple's share, they'd have Windows' PC status.
    Guytronic likes this.
    06-04-2014 08:27 AM