06-19-2014 10:45 PM
56 123
tools
    Thank you Laura. I knew someone would step up and explain with a lucid response as opposed to a previous poster who thought it would be best to ridicule.

Well both your posts had a pinch of sarcasm so I thought I'd join in. Besides I did give proper reasons why people use messaging apps but maybe you skipped the whole post.
    06-07-2014 04:22 AM
    Edited
    06-07-2014 06:04 AM
    The Skype Team should be shown the door, they've had long enough to get their act together. On Windows Phone in particular the thing is a joke.

A couple of articles have mentioned that they can't seem to get a handle on how to transition the back-end to modern messaging. Time to put a team in place that can.
    tylerpw likes this.
    06-07-2014 09:46 PM
    The Skype Team should be shown the door, they've had long enough to get their act together. On Windows Phone in particular the thing is a joke.

A couple of articles have mentioned that they can't seem to get a handle on how to transition the back-end to modern messaging. Time to put a team in place that can.
    Could this be due to WP's OS limitations? A lot of the messaging apps & notifications don't work well on WP.
    06-07-2014 10:09 PM
    It's just not hip with the kids. The hell with the kids.
    06-08-2014 12:04 AM
    Could this be due to WP's OS limitations? A lot of the messaging apps & notifications don't work well on WP.
    hmmm well the messing apps work well on my 810 and I have not had any problems with any notifications.
    Hector Guzman 117 likes this.
    06-08-2014 12:08 AM
    I was thinking the same thing
    06-08-2014 12:10 AM
    And... Skype for Android and iOS, send photos... But for WP, DON'T!
    06-08-2014 12:57 AM
    New Skype for ios users, just to rub it in. http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-ann...r-ios-devices/
    osars ehi likes this.
    06-09-2014 01:18 PM
    New Skype for ios users, just to rub it in. http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-ann...r-ios-devices/
    This just makes it easier to switch back to ios this fall. I can have a bigger iPhone with access to all the apps and still use Microsoft services such as OneNote and OneDrive. I'll miss the live tiles for sure but everything will make up for it.

Microsoft, i can understand the strategy where you want as many people as possible to use your services, it just makes sense, but throw us windows phone users(your loyal users) a bone every now and then by giving us an updated app first before ios and Android users.

A little love like that would do wonders for your fans!
    06-09-2014 01:28 PM
    This just makes it easier to switch back to ios this fall. I can have a bigger iPhone with access to all the apps and still use Microsoft services such as OneNote and OneDrive. I'll miss the live tiles for sure but everything will make up for it.

Microsoft, i can understand the strategy where you want as many people as possible to use your services, it just makes sense, but throw us windows phone users(your loyal users) a bone every now and then by giving us an updated app first before ios and Android users.

A little love like that would do wonders for your fans!
    Love don't pay the light bill.
    sahib lopez likes this.
    06-09-2014 01:58 PM
    Love don't pay the light bill.
    Nothing stopping Microsoft from loving WP as well as ios, the way they do things it gives the impression this OS is on borrowed time and they will eventually focus all their efforts on ios and android.
    06-09-2014 02:35 PM
    The Facebook Messenger app is fantastic. Arguably the best facebook chat client on any platform. It's smooth, snappy, good notifications,stable, and it looks great too! My only real qualm with it is that it doesn't have a dark theme.

It's not an OS limitation.
    06-09-2014 02:43 PM
    Nothing stopping Microsoft from loving WP as well as ios, the way they do things it gives the impression this OS is on borrowed time and they will eventually focus all their efforts on ios and android.
    Before 1970, Cadillac was the "standard of the world". They got that way by being smart, every new technology was given a trial run on either an Oldsmobile or a Buick for a year. Why would they show love to a competing marque? Simple. Not everybody could afford a new Caddy so they "put it out there" so people would become familiar with it. Back to MS. Windows Phone enjoys no more than 5% worldwide share. In other words, they got a visibility problem. They're doing what's prudent.
    06-09-2014 02:53 PM
    Before 1970, Cadillac was the "standard of the world". They got that way by being smart, every new technology was given a trial run on either an Oldsmobile or a Buick for a year. Why would they show love to a competing marque? Simple. Not everybody could afford a new Caddy so they "put it out there" so people would become familiar with it. Back to MS. Windows Phone enjoys no more than 5% worldwide share. In other words, they got a visibility problem. They're doing what's prudent.
    Doing what is prudent lost them at least one user (me) today though...
    06-09-2014 05:38 PM
    I think most people still use skype for video messaging but i don't see the point in using skype for Instant messaging so whatsapp and facebook messenger are just easier for that.
    06-09-2014 05:49 PM
    International contacts are the reason for the IM apps. I chat with folks from Canada, UK, India, Australia. If I were to use SMS, I simply could not chat with those folks, since the costs would be ridiculous.

As to that, it takes a minute to send a photo over SMS, and got luck sending a video or a voice recording.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-09-2014 06:02 PM
    I would love msft to improve skype on windows phone . Not because I hate it :p I enjoy using it when I need to. Most of my contacts uses skype and I truly is cross platform because I have have it on my iPod , surface , phone and desktop . Unlike whatsapp I can only use whatsapp on my phone . If msft just put more work on windows phone to bring it up to par to iOS I would be satisfied . For me Skype is miles better then whatsapp

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    06-09-2014 07:18 PM
    When using Skype, you need to wait to be logged in, while other messengers like WhatsApp just needs to be opened and get right into chatting

Sent from my Xperia Z2
    06-10-2014 04:40 AM
    1. I think Skype is more known for video chatting than IM. We used MSN at work and when support went for that everybody switched to Yahoo.

2. Have you tried making a video call from the W8.1 Skype App? It fails up to twice every time before the call goes through.
    06-10-2014 06:15 AM
    Will a skype update ever publish which will support sending pictures or other files on wp?
    Last edited by Kornel1981; 06-10-2014 at 01:34 PM.
    06-10-2014 01:22 PM
    When using Skype, you need to wait to be logged in, while other messengers like WhatsApp just needs to be opened and get right into chatting

Sent from my Xperia Z2
    Is whatsapp cross platform as in you can install whatsapp on any device and have your convos synced ? I'm asking because I don't know if whatsapp can do that :/ skype on the other hand is cross platform and See the messages I typed using my 810 on my computer and surface and iPod

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    06-10-2014 05:48 PM
    1. I think Skype is more known for video chatting than IM. We used MSN at work and when support went for that everybody switched to Yahoo.

2. Have you tried making a video call from the W8.1 Skype App? It fails up to twice every time before the call goes through.

This is me today. Called mom on Skype. Call failed. Called again. Call failed. Called on Viber. Goes through the first time. O feel dumb trying again and again ask the time, but I always do, wanting Skype to be successful... But it doesn't want to be.
    06-10-2014 08:25 PM

The only problem I've had with video calls is the battery drain its crazy i continued to lose battery while my phone was charging
    06-11-2014 06:50 AM
    Today joe announced on twitter, the update for Facebook and Skype soon
    06-11-2014 10:44 AM
56 123