Microsoft owns Skype... and GroupMe, why are they not owning messaging?

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That's really something I don't understand. Skype exists on Windows Phone, Android, iOS, BlackBerry, Windows, Mac, Linux, it's on phone, mobile, tablet, Smart TV, Xbox One, PlayStation Vita, Kindle Fire, on the web via Outlook, Windows Live Messenger users were moved to Skype, GroupMe works over sms, they offer text messaging, video messaging, group messaging, this is pretty huge.
Yet whenever you see a messaging article or discussion, Skype is just barely mentioned, sort of not relevant. It's WhatsApp, Viber, Line, Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, BBM, Hangouts, iMessage (even though it's not cross platform) that steal the headlines.
This is one thing you can't blame on the WP small userbase, this is an issue with Microsoft, they are definitely doing something wrong. I'd like Daniel or Jay to come and explain why they had to use Hangouts to make a podcast about Windows. Most video podcasts out there have moved from Skype to Hangouts. None of my friends use Skype for messaging, they only use it when they need to make a free call abroad. They pretty much all use WhatsApp and a fair chunk use FB messenger. Why isn't Skype built in a way that you would think "OK I'm going to use that service now".
This reminds me of when Microsoft had something very special with Zune Pass but didn't seem to know what to do with it. Today in conversations it's all about Spotify, Rdio, Pandora, even the newcomer Beats Music gets more hype than Xbox Music! Where did it go wrong for streaming? And where is it going wrong for messaging now?

PS: I will duplicate that post on The Verge as I'm curious to see what people not invested in MS think.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Those are all very good questions.

One thought is that when Skype came out it was to replace other PC based messaging services and I think that's how people still view it. Add in a track record that isn't that flash and you get people avoiding it except to use it for video chatting. I'm also guessing that it's not like Whatsapp where it uses contact numbers to create contacts.

Whatsapp came out on mobile and has always been mobile. People seem to believe it's 'easier' to use. Same goes for the other messaging systems. So not entirely sure why Skype is bypassed the way it is.

As for GroupMe I've never even heard of it or used it. That should tell you something.

Michael Brooks5

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I hope you post the link to the Verge forum with your thread on here as it will be interesting to read other people's perspectives. I am pretty confused as to why people still don't use it.

My partner has troubles with her phone when ringing people and I keep saying to her that she can sign into Skype on my phone and speak to them, but she insists that Skype is rubbish now. She used to use it a lot when talking to her family, but now she prefers using Viber because you can send strange images and when recording your voice, you can make it higher or lower pitch.

I feel that this is just a passing fad and will be gone soon when something else comes up.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Here's a crackpot theory that isn't too far off.

People don't like Microsoft.
Microsoft owns Skype.
Some of Microsoft's bad rep rubbed off on Skype.

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
the main reason is, Skype is pretty heavy on all platforms.. including windows desktop.. and its just horrifying on WP8.. try messaging with that thing for more than ten mins( go back and forth between is and other apps while at it)... fun times

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
the main reason is, Skype is pretty heavy on all platforms.. including windows desktop.. and its just horrifying on WP8.. try messaging with that thing for more than ten mins( go back and forth between is and other apps while at it)... fun times
Well that's my point. How can Microsoft mess up a service that has enough potential to be as big if not more than the others? It's like they have no clue.

Letros

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Skype integrated into messenger is a highly requested feature on the Skype forums, they said it requires an OS update, I guess MS doesn't really think it's a good idea despite killing messenger integration.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So if MS owned MySpace would they own social media? Not!! Skype is seen as a PC platform for families to talk with their kids deployed overseas. At least that's how it's shown in the media.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My kids use Skype on their computers and Android phones as their primary form if communication.

If I have to reach my son I'll use Skype as I know he'll get it right away as it isn't device dependant.

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised many people use messaging apps in general. In my case I just us the native messaging app on my phone with contacts that matter, and vice versa. Anybody else is usually Facebook. Facebook, because that's pretty much the internet social standard for the occasional check in. Skype as far I know has never been considered a popular messaging platform to begin with. With the exception for video connectivity, and for me that's not used very often because there isn't a need to. So, based on my experiences I am just not that invested in Skype or any other messaging platform, but the occasional Facebook messaging and my native phone messaging. I assume MS does their research and realizes that the effort might not be worth it at this point, because of Facebook and other flavor of the months. On top of use case scenarios like myself, which is more than Whatsapp users ( I assume ). Now, on the other hand MS also dropped the ball at making Skype the go to for those without messaging in their data plans. There is alot of potential. I kind of wish they would make it a social hybrid ( video conferencing, messaging, snapchatish,etc ) and YouTube/streaming competitor. Just have it as a super service. Intelligently designed of course... Meh, I'm rambling.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the need for a messaging app. Most plans nowadays have all-you-can-eat voice & messaging. Unless I've been living under a rock, all phones have native SMS/MMS services. I only use Viber to send picture messaging to those on my contact list who haven't figured out how to allow their iDevices to accept MMS from the non-worthy.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the need for a messaging app. Most plans nowadays have all-you-can-eat voice & messaging. Unless I've been living under a rock, all phones have native SMS/MMS services. I only use Viber to send picture messaging to those on my contact list who haven't figured out how to allow their iDevices to accept MMS from the non-worthy.

You do live under a rock, that's a question that's been answered countless times on this site. Short answer is it's great for media messaging, group messaging and most importantly it allows you to message people abroad.

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
You do live under a rock, that's a question that's been answered countless times on this site. Short answer is it's great for media messaging, group messaging and most importantly it allows you to message people abroad.

I don't think he lives under a rock. Its just that him and his circle do what I do. We all have friends/family that have plans that allow us to message through sms/mms. Which eliminates any need for a messaging app between ourselves and our contacts. Theyre useless for people like us, and millions of others. Its a thing that doesn't make sense, considering you can group text, send pics, etc. without an additional app. With the only exception being Facebook ( occasionally with people not in my phones general contact list/don't talk to often ), and Skype for video chat.

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe because Skype sucks? It's slow and rarely has a good connection. I can never ever make a voice or video call without it dropping, freezing, or some other technical difficulty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans