Microsoft owns Skype... and GroupMe, why are they not owning messaging?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I was just talking about Skype today... which is rare, as we hardly ever use it. My girlfriend was trying to show me the "video chat/live video" feature of Snapchat on her iPhone, which of course I had to explain to her that I couldn't participate because I'm on Windows Phone 8 and we don't have Snapchat, and '6Snap' doesn't have that feature yet.. "and besides.." I said to her, "why don't we just use Skype to video chat?"
Then there was a long moment of silence...

And she says "I use Facetime..." as she got up and walked away... :|

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the need for a messaging app. Most plans nowadays have all-you-can-eat voice & messaging. Unless I've been living under a rock, all phones have native SMS/MMS services. I only use Viber to send picture messaging to those on my contact list who haven't figured out how to allow their iDevices to accept MMS from the non-worthy.
International contacts are the reason for the IM apps. I chat with folks from Canada, UK, India, Australia. If I were to use SMS, I simply could not chat with those folks, since the costs would be ridiculous.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
International contacts are the reason for the IM apps. I chat with folks from Canada, UK, India, Australia. If I were to use SMS, I simply could not chat with those folks, since the costs would be ridiculous.

Thank you Laura. I knew someone would step up and explain with a lucid response as opposed to a previous poster who thought it would be best to ridicule.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Laura. I knew someone would step up and explain with a lucid response as opposed to a previous poster who thought it would be best to ridicule.

Well both your posts had a pinch of sarcasm so I thought I'd join in. Besides I did give proper reasons why people use messaging apps but maybe you skipped the whole post.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The Skype Team should be shown the door, they've had long enough to get their act together. On Windows Phone in particular the thing is a joke.

A couple of articles have mentioned that they can't seem to get a handle on how to transition the back-end to modern messaging. Time to put a team in place that can.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The Skype Team should be shown the door, they've had long enough to get their act together. On Windows Phone in particular the thing is a joke.

A couple of articles have mentioned that they can't seem to get a handle on how to transition the back-end to modern messaging. Time to put a team in place that can.

Could this be due to WP's OS limitations? A lot of the messaging apps & notifications don't work well on WP.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

This just makes it easier to switch back to ios this fall. I can have a bigger iPhone with access to all the apps and still use Microsoft services such as OneNote and OneDrive. I'll miss the live tiles for sure but everything will make up for it.

Microsoft, i can understand the strategy where you want as many people as possible to use your services, it just makes sense, but throw us windows phone users(your loyal users) a bone every now and then by giving us an updated app first before ios and Android users.

A little love like that would do wonders for your fans!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This just makes it easier to switch back to ios this fall. I can have a bigger iPhone with access to all the apps and still use Microsoft services such as OneNote and OneDrive. I'll miss the live tiles for sure but everything will make up for it.

Microsoft, i can understand the strategy where you want as many people as possible to use your services, it just makes sense, but throw us windows phone users(your loyal users) a bone every now and then by giving us an updated app first before ios and Android users.

A little love like that would do wonders for your fans!

Love don't pay the light bill.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Could this be due to WP's OS limitations? A lot of the messaging apps & notifications don't work well on WP.

The Facebook Messenger app is fantastic. Arguably the best facebook chat client on any platform. It's smooth, snappy, good notifications,stable, and it looks great too! My only real qualm with it is that it doesn't have a dark theme.

It's not an OS limitation.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nothing stopping Microsoft from loving WP as well as ios, the way they do things it gives the impression this OS is on borrowed time and they will eventually focus all their efforts on ios and android.

Before 1970, Cadillac was the "standard of the world". They got that way by being smart, every new technology was given a trial run on either an Oldsmobile or a Buick for a year. Why would they show love to a competing marque? Simple. Not everybody could afford a new Caddy so they "put it out there" so people would become familiar with it. Back to MS. Windows Phone enjoys no more than 5% worldwide share. In other words, they got a visibility problem. They're doing what's prudent.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Before 1970, Cadillac was the "standard of the world". They got that way by being smart, every new technology was given a trial run on either an Oldsmobile or a Buick for a year. Why would they show love to a competing marque? Simple. Not everybody could afford a new Caddy so they "put it out there" so people would become familiar with it. Back to MS. Windows Phone enjoys no more than 5% worldwide share. In other words, they got a visibility problem. They're doing what's prudent.

Doing what is prudent lost them at least one user (me) today though...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720